X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • UK mark
    • Nov 2018

New venture

Over the moon to say the least , I called in to a local boxing gym/club a few days ago to show my latest design of speedbag platform to see if they would be interested in having one, I offered to donate it to let them test it in a commercial boxing gym, his reply "nah you can't just give it away, love the look of it pal, tell ya what, let me know how much you want for it"
    so after putting to to just cover the cost of materials ect he's looking forward to me handing over one I'm prepping ( his will have a red frame )
    My question to you guys is would you pay around 220 dollars for a complete unit as pictured below as I'm hoping to start producing them
    ...also posted pics and video on a recent post
    Your views and opinions are appreciated
  • BagBoy
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Jan 2018

Hi Mark, I likely would pay 220. The only thing that would keep me from purchasing one would be that the shipping to Canada could be as much as the platform itself. But hell yeah if I lived closer. It's a beautiful board and frame. Looks solid as hell too.

cheers
    Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• LouisvilleBagr
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jun 2019

Looks beautiful, what is the size of the drum?

Comment

• Zaz
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2018

220$ is a very good price. If i lived in the UK i would definitely be tempted to buy one.

Comment

• UK mark
          • Nov 2018

Originally posted by LouisvilleBagr View Post
          Looks beautiful, what is the size of the drum?
          Hi there the drum is 600 mm diameter or 24 inch there abouts

Comment

• UK mark
            • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Zaz View Post
            220$ is a very good price. If i lived in the UK i would definitely be tempted to buy one.
            Shame the postage costs to the US is sky high for something like this

Comment

• dad
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Dec 2018

Have to tell you UK Mark that is a great design, what looks like a quality product and the price is right-on.

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by UK mark View Post
                Over the moon to say the least , I called in to a local boxing gym/club a few days ago to show my latest design of speedbag platform to see if they would be interested in having one, I offered to donate it to let them test it in a commercial boxing gym, his reply "nah you can't just give it away, love the look of it pal, tell ya what, let me know how much you want for it"
                so after putting to to just cover the cost of materials ect he's looking forward to me handing over one I'm prepping ( his will have a red frame )
                My question to you guys is would you pay around 220 dollars for a complete unit as pictured below as I'm hoping to start producing them
                ...also posted pics and video on a recent post Your views and opinions are appreciated
                It's a great design and looks very solid, however it does not look height adjustable - and that will be an issue in a gym with many people hitting. Accommodating a short 4ft 8in person to a 6ft 5in individual will be a problem. Not a complete deal breaker but certainly an issue for the very tall or very short. Price and location are always an issue but you can get highly adjustable units for about the same price - but again, mailing them to your location will jack the price way up. I imagine making them height adjustable could be a bit more complicated but it is possible.

for a multi-user location I would suggest mounting it a bit higher for taller people and have adjustable step platforms for shorter people to raise them up.

The other issue I see with the design is the V shaped hanging brackets. Maybe the widest part by the board will fit a 16 inch wall stud (US standard distance) but the V pattern will have your top two hanging holes OFF the studs in the sheet rock which will not hold up to the vibration. So, IMO this design might work for Concrete or plaster walls but NOT for standard stud walls unless they build and external hanging from to attach this to. Maybe European walls are different, but that is an obvious problem I see. Notice all other adjustable (or non-adjustable for that matter) speed bag units have either TWO straight vertical hanging mounts on the side for stud attachment or ONE center-pole with attaches to studs (I hate center poles. they all shake). So that might be an issue...

Adjustable platforms

Xmark
                XMark Commercial Adjustable Speed Bag Platform XM-2811https://xmarkfitness.com/products/adjustable-speed-bag-platformGive your hand-eye coordination and boxi...

Valor
                The CA-2 Boxing Speed Bag Platform with Bag allows you to improve hand-eye coordination and practice punches. Designed for home gyms.

BalazsBoxing IBOX

Cheaper version but one could use the extra savings to get a much heavier board
                Speed bag platform can be easily adjusted to ideal height for any athlete. Platform comes complete with swivel, two brace boards, assembly hardware and full rubber edge binding for safety. Complete and ready for assembly. Compatible with double-end bags and double-end anchor (sold separately). Measures 24" in diameter; height can be adjusted up to 8" in 1" increments. Not recommended for outside use.

Just my insights. Good luck with your product!
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• UK mark
                  • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post

It's a great design and looks very solid, however it does not look height adjustable - and that will be an issue in a gym with many people hitting. Accommodating a short 4ft 8in person to a 6ft 5in individual will be a problem. Not a complete deal breaker but certainly an issue for the very tall or very short. Price and location are always an issue but you can get highly adjustable units for about the same price - but again, mailing them to your location will jack the price way up. I imagine making them height adjustable could be a bit more complicated but it is possible.

for a multi-user location I would suggest mounting it a bit higher for taller people and have adjustable step platforms for shorter people to raise them up.

The other issue I see with the design is the V shaped hanging brackets. Maybe the widest part by the board will fit a 16 inch wall stud (US standard distance) but the V pattern will have your top two hanging holes OFF the studs in the sheet rock which will not hold up to the vibration. So, IMO this design might work for Concrete or plaster walls but NOT for standard stud walls unless they build and external hanging from to attach this to. Maybe European walls are different, but that is an obvious problem I see. Notice all other adjustable (or non-adjustable for that matter) speed bag units have either TWO straight vertical hanging mounts on the side for stud attachment or ONE center-pole with attaches to studs (I hate center poles. they all shake). So that might be an issue...

Adjustable platforms

Xmark
                  XMark Commercial Adjustable Speed Bag Platform XM-2811https://xmarkfitness.com/products/adjustable-speed-bag-platformGive your hand-eye coordination and boxi...

Valor
                  The CA-2 Boxing Speed Bag Platform with Bag allows you to improve hand-eye coordination and practice punches. Designed for home gyms.

BalazsBoxing IBOX

Cheaper version but one could use the extra savings to get a much heavier board
                  Speed bag platform can be easily adjusted to ideal height for any athlete. Platform comes complete with swivel, two brace boards, assembly hardware and full rubber edge binding for safety. Complete and ready for assembly. Compatible with double-end bags and double-end anchor (sold separately). Measures 24" in diameter; height can be adjusted up to 8" in 1" increments. Not recommended for outside use.

Just my insights. Good luck with your product!
                  Ah I see your point on the mounting points, when I designed it I intended it to be hung on a brick/concrete wall as the weight of the unit would be too heavy for a plaster wall to sustain,
                  o did think about an adjustable height unit but the cost to have it fabricated would be pretty costly and potentially pricing me out of the market, said that the gym that's having it actually said he's going to hang it high and build a removable raised base
                  Fingers crossed if it takes off I'll be able to introduce an adjustable unit just as solid
                  Thanks for the advice, much appreciated

Comment

• UK mark
                    • Nov 2018

Originally posted by dad View Post
                    Have to tell you UK Mark that is a great design, what looks like a quality product and the price is right-on.
                    Thanks, I'm quite proud of it to be honest , especially from all the great feedback

Comment

• UK mark
                      • Nov 2018

Frame looking good in red , picked up from the powder coating company
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Mickey Dix
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Jul 2019

Looks stunning in red. If you were fabricating them in the U.S. I would probably have to check out your platforms. Very good work Mark- keep up the bagging .

Comment

• rdshackleford
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Oct 2016

The metal craftsman on Etsy who made my platform brackets still has them listed for sale, $175 with free US shipping. Somebody mentioned making a custom platform, I forget who. Just thought I'd mention it.

@ArcSwivel
                          #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• UK mark
                            • Nov 2018

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
                            The metal craftsman on Etsy who made my platform brackets still has them listed for sale, $175 with free US shipping. Somebody mentioned making a custom platform, I forget who. Just thought I'd mention it.

I also enquired about having something like this made , found to be quite expensive over here in the UK

Comment

• UK mark
                              • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Mickey Dix View Post
                              Looks stunning in red. If you were fabricating them in the U.S. I would probably have to check out your platforms. Very good work Mark- keep up the bagging .
                              Thanks, that's a shame as I'd probably sell the powder coated frames for around 110 dollars over in the US
                              Last edited by UK mark; 01-18-2020, 05:39 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...