• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zaz
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2018

Modified speed bag platform part 2

When I modified my speed bag platform the first time, the weight of the new maple drum made it difficult to adjust the platform with the wheel crank.The idea of the pulley came from the Primefighter 400 speed bag platform. I could had used a counterweight but i had a 12 vdc winch and everything i needed to transform 120 vac to 12 vdc. As an electrician, i often have to change old systems for modern systems and our boss doesn't want to keep the electric panel of the old systems. Me and my colleagues keep them for the spare parts and to do homemade stuff. 95% of this project is made of used parts that came from these panels. The only things that i had to buy were the sensors, the little box for the remote and the voltage/current meter.

I installed a key switch to be sure only adults could use the winch. The children of my friends like to play in my boxing gym and they could get hurt by the pulley or the winch if they use it...

Using this platform is quite simple. When you raise the platform, the blue light will turn on, but if the top sensor detects the bushing, the winch stops and the red buzzer turn on. When you lower the platform, the white light turn on but if the bottom sensor detect the bushing, the other red buzzer turn on. If the meter detect an overload (like i’m doing in the video by putting my hand on the drum) the winch stop, the green light turn off, the yellow light turn on and i can’t use the winch until i reset it on the meter display. This is very useful to avoid damage to the platform if someone forget to slack the fixing handle.

I could made this project far simpler by just using a counterweight, but it was for me an opportunity to joint 2 passions together and it cost me almost nothing, except time, and every minute spent doing this project was fun!

Attached Files
    Last edited by Zaz; 10-14-2019, 12:18 AM.
  • RockSteadyBoxer
    • Nov 2018

That is simply awesome!

Comment

• Mickey Dix
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Jul 2019

Originally posted by Zaz View Post
      When I modified my speed bag platform the first time, the weight of the new maple drum made it difficult to adjust the platform with the wheel crank.The idea of the pulley came from the Primefighter 400 speed bag platform. I could had used a counterweight but i had a 12 vdc winch and everything i needed to transform 120 vac to 12 vdc. As an electrician, i often have to change old systems for modern systems and our boss doesn't want to keep the electric panel of the old systems. Me and my colleagues keep them for the spare parts and to do homemade stuff. 95% of this project is made of used parts that came from these panels. The only things that i had to buy were the sensors, the little box for the remote and the voltage/current meter.

I installed a key switch to be sure only adults could use the winch. The children of my friends like to play in my boxing gym and they could get hurt by the pulley or the winch if they use it...

Using this platform is quite simple. When you raise the platform, the blue light will turn on, but if the top sensor detects the bushing, the winch stops and the red buzzer turn on. When you lower the platform, the white light turn on but if the bottom sensor detect the bushing, the other red buzzer turn on. If the meter detect an overload (like i’m doing in the video by putting my hand on the drum) the winch stop, the green light turn off, the yellow light turn on and i can’t use the winch until i reset it on the meter display. This is very useful to avoid damage to the platform if someone forget to slack the fixing handle.

I could made this project far simpler by just using a counterweight, but it was for me an opportunity to joint 2 passions together and it cost me almost nothing, except time, and every minute spent doing this project was fun!

Now that is an impressive setup. Really cool . Thanks for the video!!!

Comment

• Cazbag
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2018

Wow! Well done that is a genius setup!

Comment

• dad
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Dec 2018

Very cool, that must have been fun to work on.

Comment

• paranday
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2009

A thing of beauty.

Comment

• rdshackleford
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Oct 2016

I am a software engineer for a company that makes similar controller cabinets. Would not have dreamed of using an industrial control cabinet to drive a winch to move a speed bag platform. Well done! You have an LCD display on the cabinet, try making it into a punch counter.
              @ArcSwivel
              #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• BagBoy
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Jan 2018

Zaz, that makes me want to crack a beer. It's my birthday so I will. Awesome update, actually made me chuckle it's so cool.
                Certifiable SBX Attendee 2019

@SpeedBagaZebo

Comment

• Cazbag
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Sep 2018

Originally posted by BagBoy View Post
                  Zaz, that makes me want to crack a beer. It's my birthday so I will. Awesome update, actually made me chuckle it's so cool.
                  I'll have one with ya, happy birthday youngster!

Comment

• Zaz
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Sep 2018

Originally posted by RockSteadyBoxer View Post
                    That is simply awesome!
                    Thank you very much!

Comment

• Zaz
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Sep 2018

Originally posted by Mickey Dix View Post

Now that is an impressive setup. Really cool . Thanks for the video!!!
                      Thank you for your comment! i'm happy to hear that you liked the video!

Comment

• Zaz
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Sep 2018

Originally posted by Cazbag View Post
                        Wow! Well done that is a genius setup!
                        Thank you Cazbag!

Comment

• Zaz
                          Speed Bag Guru
                          • Sep 2018

Originally posted by dad View Post
                          Very cool, that must have been fun to work on.
                          Thank you and yes it was! To make the electric plan was the part i enjoyed the most.

Comment

• Zaz
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Sep 2018

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                            A thing of beauty.
                            Thanks!

Comment

• Zaz
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Sep 2018

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
                              I am a software engineer for a company that makes similar controller cabinets. Would not have dreamed of using an industrial control cabinet to drive a winch to move a speed bag platform. Well done! You have an LCD display on the cabinet, try making it into a punch counter.
                              I knew you're an engineer because the creator of the Arc Swivel must be an engineer! That LCD display came with the cheap voltage/current meter i bought from Amazon. There's just one input on the LCD display and it's for the measurement module. The measurement module has 2 terminals for the negative, 1 for the positive and 4 more terminals for the relay that open and close if the current go higher than the set-point. The idea of installing a punch counter (using an additional LCD display) was tempting, but i didn't want sensors and wire to affect the look of the drum. Maybe something like the Speed Demon XT would be better for me? Thank you for your comment Rusty!
                              Last edited by Zaz; 10-14-2019, 09:51 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...