• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • metaldad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2007

Motivation

Sometimes there comes a point where you just don't have the urge to do what ya gotta do. So how does everyone deal with this? What do you folks do to kick yourselves in the butt to get going when you've "hit the wall"?
    sigpic
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

What I've done in the past (and I need to do now since I haven't done anything for two weeks) is just force myself to start doing it, even telling myself it's only going to be a "half workout", meaning just half the time I normally do it. I set aside the time I need and get dressed to work out and just start half-heartedly once I start, it's easy from there.

Usually that's enough to motivate me to keep going once I get started.

Comment

• ninja420
      • Jan 2007

Great question I hope lots of people share what they do. In the army it was getting up and getting to PT formation before I got a artical 15 JK I rarley work out that hard but I do have a labor intensive job. Lots of times I don't feel like putting in the time but the best anwser I can give my self and this forum is... Like nike "JUST DO IT". It is never as bad as your mind tries to tell you its going to be.

Comment

• jason_m_amy
        • Jan 2007

When I get like that, I grab my surfboard, paddle out, and quickly realize "Man I'm tired and my arms feel like wet noodles!!"... Kinda motivates me to work out and keep in shape so I can build more stamina and catch more waves! I guess I work out so I can enjoy my hobbies more, not for the sake of working out. I also know that sometimes taking a little time off can be good, rest and clear your head, you sometimes come back even stronger...

Comment

• jaguiler
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Jan 2007

with the kids (twins 5 mos) and a busy work schedule it has been much easier to skip my running workouts - I have to start forcing myself... I can feel the fitness going away....

Comment

• metaldad
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2007

Thanks for the responses guys!!! It's refreshing to know I'm not alone here. I work nights, usually a ten to twelve hour shift, somtimes my start times are different,(2hours earlier) and I also have three young children at home. These are not excuses, just the way it is. It gets a little tricky to stay consistent. Like all of you, sometimes I have to force myself, I try to find motivation from watching UFC, Bruce Lee and visiting Rosstraining.com(check this guy out somtetime!!!!) Usually these help me but often I still have go Drill Instructor on my lazy ass!!
            sigpic

Comment

• Jonzel
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • May 2007

Join a gym.
              I'm way too cheap to pay all that money and not get anything out of it.
              Also when I work out at home there's many distractions, like tv, computer, phone, and its easy for a workout to get cut short or postponed.
              but its very unlikely that I'm gonna go to the gym without getting a good workout. Make it a ritual. Right after work, go directly to the gym, eat a granola bar on the way there, and before you know it your driving home after a long day at work and a hard workout, and thinking to yourself. man I'm so hungry and tired. - at least thats what I do.

Comment

• metaldad
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Jonzel View Post
                Join a gym.
                I'm way too cheap to pay all that money and not get anything out of it.
                Also when I work out at home there's many distractions, like tv, computer, phone, and its easy for a workout to get cut short or postponed.
                but its very unlikely that I'm gonna go to the gym without getting a good workout. Make it a ritual. Right after work, go directly to the gym, eat a granola bar on the way there, and before you know it your driving home after a long day at work and a hard workout, and thinking to yourself. man I'm so hungry and tired. - at least thats what I do.
                That usually DOES work for alot of people, unfortunately I'm not one of them(believe me I tried) so I have to rely on good old fashioned self discipline
                sigpic

Comment

• Roscoe
                  • May 2006

Be Your Own Coach

[QUOTE= I still have go Drill Instructor on my lazy ass!![/QUOTE]

Be your own coach....it helps to be a little crazy too.
                  Think about how you would coach someone (just like you) who needs motivating and apply it to yourself. This can work for training, diet, going to work, most everything.

Back off a little when you start actually hearing the voices

Roscoe

Comment

• metaldad
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Roscoe View Post
                    Be your own coach....it helps to be a little crazy too.
                    Think about how you would coach someone (just like you) who needs motivating and apply it to yourself. This can work for training, diet, going to work, most everything.

Back off a little when you start actually hearing the voices

Roscoe
                    i usaully don't and we end up having some intensely deep conversations LOL
                    sigpic

Comment

• speedbag4life
                      • Jun 2007

get a full-length mirror -- has to be full length-- and look at yourself when you start to get out of shape. visual trauma, highly motivating.

then consider what the mirror will look like in a month if you don't restart your workout routine

Comment

• metaldad
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2007

Also envision getting into a scrap when you're out of shape......the thought of getting your butt stomped when you could have taken preventative measures is also a good motivator i actually started back yesterday.. my work schedule messes things up a bit but I'm learning to work around it
                        sigpic

Comment

• ashe
                          • Jun 2007

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                          Sometimes there comes a point where you just don't have the urge to do what ya gotta do. So how does everyone deal with this? What do you folks do to kick yourselves in the butt to get going when you've "hit the wall"?
                          switch it up and do something totally different...

or two or three cups of strong coffee.

Comment

• metaldad
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Apr 2007

Ok, I'm back at it and I've noticed this: I have to accept what's within my own ability, be it time oriented or due to my own physical limits. I've been trying so hard to work out like Bruce Lee used to and how all the pro MMA fighters do, that when I can't stay consistent or I "hit a wall", I want to give up. This is defeatist and pessimistic thinking. I have a time demanding job, a wife and three small children ages 2 months, 2 years and 5, so I have to accept doing what I can when I can.This is the reality. Set the goal, keep it realistic and put forth the best effort I can in achieving it.Is this an epiphany of sorts? NAH.........just an observation of the reality of my surroundings
                            sigpic

Comment

• Speedbag
                              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                              Ok, I'm back at it and I've noticed this: I have to accept what's within my own ability, be it time oriented or due to my own physical limits. I've been trying so hard to work out like Bruce Lee used to and how all the pro MMA fighters do, that when I can't stay consistent or I "hit a wall", I want to give up. This is defeatist and pessimistic thinking. I have a time demanding job, a wife and three small children ages 2 months, 2 years and 5, so I have to accept doing what I can when I can.This is the reality. Set the goal, keep it realistic and put forth the best effort I can in achieving it.Is this an epiphany of sorts? NAH.........just an observation of the reality of my surroundings
                              Actually, I would say it is the next step in your maturity. Quit trying to do "..what everybody else" did. The truth is, we don't really know what they did, - only what they said they did, or what somebody else said they did - and their time, obligations, life's goals, cost of living, professional sponsors paying for their training.... etc. were probably all different from yours.

You now have other obligations in life that dictate it is no longer "all about me". My suggestion is: simply create a challenging workout with goals that are interesting, you enjoy and can be done within the time life allows. Then enjoy the family, kids and your precious time with them.

when your kids get old enough to join in with you at some level, it will all be worth it. Unless you are getting paid or make a living for your fitness, or "your look" or whatever physical abilities you are striving for, Cheating them now for the sake of "your extended workout" is pointless in my opinion.

Had I left the weight room, racquetball courts, dojo a little earlier each day, perhaps I would not be sitting here post op of my 15th joint operation.

(..and don't get me started on the speed bag....)
                              Last edited by Speedbag; 10-18-2008, 01:15 AM.
                              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                              The Quest Continues...
                              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...