• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sarahlee585
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2012

Just Sayin' HI!

New to the site. I am way too old to do anything competitive but I have always wanted to punch the Speed Bag as good as anyone else. I actually bought an Everlast rack and bag, condition like new for $25 bucks at an on-line garage sale. Now I just need to find a place for it and get it set up. Then, of course, I need to learn how to do it. I am a beginner but I want to speed bag for upper arm strength and such. Here's a few questions...

Is speed bagging for women any different for upper and lower body and footwork from the way men learn how to do it? I have looked at some sites that show what to do for women. I think the footwork might be the hardest to get down. Also, if I can't afford the footgear right now, what else can I use while practicing? I have children's gloves (ha-ha) but what should I use for the speed the bag?

I'm sure there are alot of things on this site I just haven't looked at yet so don't get mad at my Q's.

There...this is my first post that I'm supposed to do after registering. Thnaks for your help.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hi Sarahlee, Welcome to the forum. Always great to see more ladies under the board.

Originally posted by Sarahlee585 View Post
    Is speed bagging for women any different for upper and lower body and footwork from the way men learn how to do it? I have looked at some sites that show what to do for women. I think the footwork might be the hardest to get down. Also, if I can't afford the footgear right now, what else can I use while practicing? I have children's gloves (ha-ha) but what should I use for the speed the bag?
    the quick answer is "no". The speed bag is non-discriminatory, and both men and woman can enjoy the same benefits and use the very same training methods. You don't need to really worry about "the footwork" for there is a natural flow of body movement when punching the bag in the normal stance (feet parallel, facing the bag directly). Without even thinking about it, once you get the basic punching movements flowing, the hips and feet will normally follow, kinda like dancing. If you use a boxer or fighting stance and are specifically needed advancing, retreating and side stepping foot work than that is another matter, but if sounds doubtful that you need that.

There is no special "footgear" required for speed bag work. Barefoot, flip-flops, tennis shoes or dress shoes. All will work fine. As for gloves, many use readily available fitness training gloves of various sorts, and some boxing companies sell special speed bag gloves, which is really not necessary. actually, most of us end up hitting bare handed. When I use gloves, I prefer the Harbinger classic weight training gloves, because they have very soft leather that takes the bag well, no seams directly over the contact surfaces of the hand, and a wrist wrap to pull the gloves a bit tighter on the hand and offer a bit more support. But you may find any common fitness glove works fine for you.

I'm sure there are alot of things on this site I just haven't looked at yet so don't get mad at my Q's.
    There...this is my first post that I'm supposed to do after registering. Thnaks for your help.
    I'm proud to say that the membership of this forum is a wonderful, non-judgemental and accepting group of folks from all over the world, very tolerant and respectful to any questions asked. We were all beginners once, and the desire to help each other in a fun and respectful manner is second to none on the internet. Of course some of us older members, who have known each other for a while will poke a bit of fun at each other, or pull of a pun or two, but I can guarentee you that any mean spirited or personal derogatory remarks have rarely been an issue here, and are quickly removed. We also have a growing group of very talented female "baggers" who can keep up with most of the men on skills and ability. Please feel free to ask any question you want about speed bag training, equipment or other related issues.

Last edited by Speedbag; 07-01-2012, 10:48 PM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

New to the site. I am way too old to do anything competitive but I have always wanted to punch the Speed Bag as good as anyone else. I actually bought an Everlast rack and bag, condition like new for $25 bucks at an on-line garage sale. Now I just need to find a place for it and get it set up. Then, of course, I need to learn how to do it.
      Welcome to the forum Sarahlee585. I don't know what "too old" means. It's funny you should mention it...I just saw a segment on TV of a female body builder who is still competing – at 77! Here's a blurb from the article:

"It was something I could do by myself, for myself," Connor told Reuters. "It was a tension releaser. I sit at a computer all day, so it was one way for me to take it out on the weights instead of the employees."

Once Connor won her first competition she became hooked on weights and went on to become a personal trainer specializing in the mature body.

I am a beginner but I want to speed bag for upper arm strength and such. Here's a few questions...

I took up speed bagging to help me to get my arms in shape and for the cardio. It's great for both. If I wanted to work at it, I could probably incorporate some hand weights and get them trimmed up a bit more...

As for your question about footwork... I'm not sure what this is about. I don't wear any special foot gear. In fact, this morning, I punched in my Crocks slippers!

I do footwork, but, it comes naturally when punching. I use my whole body when I'm punching on my big red bag. It's heavy, and for me, I throw my body into it, and the footwork is a sort of dance, each foot comes up as I swing from left to right. It's kind of a bouncy thing I do. Just watch some of the boxing videos. Ali danced. It keeps you fluid, I suppose. But, by working your feet and legs, you end up working those muscles. I feel that my legs are more toned with my speed bag workout.

When I first started punching, I made some homemade wraps, using some paper towels and duct tape. I wouldn't start out using big heavy gloves because it's important to "feel" the bag. With time, the wraps can come off altogether...

The only gear you really need is: a good speed bag platform, a good swivel, and a good speed bag. There is no special gear. You can bag in your underwear and bearfoot if you want. Spaarky (a forum member) had a job interview and did a quick video in his suit.

My suggestion would be to save your money and put it into a good solid platform.

Keep us posted on your progress. Bag on!

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
      I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Sarahlee585
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jul 2012

Thanks!

Thank you - all of you - for responding to my post.

I like what I'm reading here. Thanks for the tips. So, I need a beginner manual/dvd so I can learn how to do my first punch! I know what I see and read only. Should I buy Alan's stuff or do I need to buy something else (beginner stuff)to start with? Any suggestions?

Comment

• Sarahlee585
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jul 2012

No offense

Since I am new to baggin in every way - What I mean is...are Alan's DVD's for beginners or for more advanced baggers? I want your stuff Alan but is it what I need? If so, I'll take it!

Comment

• Zaza
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2011

Since I am new to baggin in every way - What I mean is...are Alan's DVD's for beginners or for more advanced baggers? I want your stuff Alan but is it what I need? If so, I'll take it!
            It's what you need! It's a MUST HAVE for ANY bagger.
            He also offers a discount for forum members!

Oh... and WELCOME... you're going to love it here.
            Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
            http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I'd say the answer to both is YES.

I wrote it, and shot my speed bag videos for beginners, with the hopes that they could follow along in pretty much the order presented, from the most simple skills to the more complex. You definitely do not want to jump into chapter 9 or 10 without a fair understanding of chapters 1-8. You will be lost.

most beginners in the martial arts see the black belt forms, the masters work, and say "I want to learn how to do that......now". Unfortunately an amazing martial artist, or speed bagger, can make some very complex movements look simply and natural - but you never see the months and months, or sometimes years of practice it took to finally make it look so simple. Patience in learning in learning the basics is often reward with much more understanding about how something works, and how best for YOU to learn it. Done properly, becoming proficient on the speed bag does not take all that long. But I've seen beginners on the speed bag spent lots of time trying to learn something that is waaay above their skill and control level, which often leaves them totally frustrated, thinking they can't do it, and - maybe leaves them thinking they are a failure. (especially those with low self esteem already..... and this can be painful). and maybe they learn to do that one fancy combination - but, they can use it with anything else. Punching and spinning around hitting with fists and elbows is a big example (see it a lot..) so, after 2-3 hours, they can punch the bag, turn around (spin) and hit it again once or twice. They see experts online do it, and that's what they want to do, and that is perhaps all they will do (sigh). Now there is nothing wrong with spinning around and hitting the bag, but I would prefer a beginner control it punching first.

I never want a beginner to fail. there is always a way to have you learn the first, or the next skill. I can promise you that the members of this forum feel the same way and no matter how difficult it seems, someone will try to help you.

as the say.... Failure is NOT an option. If my materials in Book or video do not help you, then I will write until my keyboard breaks, then buy another.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                I'd say the answer to both is YES.

...most beginners in the martial arts see the black belt forms, the masters work, and say "I want to learn how to do that......now". Unfortunately an amazing martial artist, or speed bagger, can make some very complex movements look simple and natural - but you never see the months and months, or sometimes years of practice it took to finally make it look so simple.
                You got that right! When I started speed bagging I felt like I wasn't progressing as fast as others who had started at the same time. But, I was diligent and I feel that I have made a lot of progress, especially in the past year. The journey has been a rewarding one. Sometimes I amaze myself that I can do a 4-way elbow punch!

Try not to get frustrated when you first start out. If you reach that point in a workout, just walk away. When you come back a half hour later (or the next day), it will seem easier and you'll wonder why you didn't get it the day before. You'll see yourself progress with each workout. Just remember – to get good, you have to practice, practice, practice. Oh, and did I say practice?
                sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Sarahlee585
                  Speed Bag Trainee
                  • Jul 2012

Rats!

Rats, I say! I just found out the gloves I ordered are backordered! They are out of inventory! Good price. My bag isn't up yet anyway but I was all excited they would be coming soon!

Here's another question...I really want to do this...I see in one of speedbags videos that your neck is straight - not cockeyed or bent back. Does it matter? I have had 3 discs replaced with fusion with plate and 8 screws in my neck. I'm assuming you are not a doctor and you will tell me to make sure it's ok with the doc but...I'm gonna do it anyway cuz it's what I want to do. So...

I would like to know how much of baggin' is in the neck, what I can expect and/or if it's really not that big of a deal for normal necks?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Rats, I say! I just found out the gloves I ordered are backordered! They are out of inventory! Good price. My bag isn't up yet anyway but I was all excited they would be coming soon!

Here's another question...I really want to do this...I see in one of speedbags videos that your neck is straight - not cockeyed or bent back. Does it matter? I have had 3 discs replaced with fusion with plate and 8 screws in my neck.[/url]

thanks for noticing my neck If this was poker, I'd see your 3 discs with fusion, and raise you one multi-level laminectomy (6-levels)
                    ( no plates or screws on mine.) My neck is straight (not cockeyed or bent back) because it's only one very long bone.

I'm assuming you are not a doctor and you will tell me to make sure it's ok with the doc but...I'm gonna do it anyway cuz it's what I want to do. So...
                    HA! no, I am not a Doctor, but I've seen plenty of them. My last cervical MRI was 6 pages long with lots of big words.

and a girls gotta do what a girls gotta do.

I would like to know how much of baggin' is in the neck, what I can expect and/or if it's really not that big of a deal for normal necks?
                    I guess I can speak to the first statement, "how much baggin' is in the neck",
                    because I've done some very serious bagging with a "normal neck" and some serious baggin' with an "abbynormal neck"

I never really thought much about the role of the neck while bagging, it just did whatever necks do. But I was born with C1-C4 fused congenitally, so only half of them ever worked normally anyhow. My first fusion (C4-C5-C6 - 1991) fused the next two levels, and I did notice slight adjustments to my punching and stance. I normally stand pretty close to the bag, and I guess my head/neck would bend back a bit for bag clearance of the nose. Suddenly, after 1991 procedure I was getting rapped in the nose more, so I would have to either step back a bit from my normal distance, OR bend a bit back from the waist (neck no longer bent back). Either way, it was a pretty quick adjustment to make, and the tip of my nose still thanks me for it.

I also noticed fatigue and pain in trapezius after punching for a while. I still have that, especially after later forays into the area.

C6-C7 was fused in 1994, but I don't recall that being any particular problem. Just another 6 weeks in a neck brace.

My advice would be to "punch on as you see fit", and your neck will tell you when it's had enough. You just need to know how to read "neck language" - and listen closely, for sometimes it won't speak to you until the next day. I suggest you write out your workouts or document what you do and for how long. If you notice pain, stiffness or tingling etc. afterward, then the written notes will help you start to either isolate or eliminate the movements that may be causing the problem. You will probably find that the shoulder movements required for the elbow strikes will initially cause some issues with the trapezius. If I don't hit for a while, (few weeks) and then go back at it pretty hard for 20-30 minutes with lots of elbow strikes, my traps will punish me for it.

YOU CAN DO THIS!!
                    Last edited by Speedbag; 07-05-2012, 11:48 AM.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Sarahlee585
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Jul 2012

I'm in the right place!

Yes! I am so fortuante. Thank you! I thought no one would understand. Now I know that I CAN do this! It's not gonna be pretty , I'm sure! I think you might be my new hero.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Yes! I am so fortuante. Thank you! I thought no one would understand. Now I know that I CAN do this! It's not gonna be pretty , I'm sure! I think you might be my new hero.
                        Sarahlee, you are new to the forum, so believe me - there are plenty of people here that understand bagging with serious orthopedic or other health problems. It's a pretty deep well.

as for Hero, not really. Just an older bag of bones trying to keep moving as best we can. and try to help others along the same path. Most in here would do the same thing.

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Forrest
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Dec 2012

There is no unique "footgear" required for rate bag perform. Without shoes, flip-flops, footwear or sports footwear. All works fine. As for safety gloves, many use easily accessible fitness training safety gloves of various sorts, and some punching companies sell unique rate bag safety gloves, which is really not necessary. actually, most of us end up reaching bare passed.

Gym Pasadena
                          Last edited by Forrest; 12-07-2012, 10:33 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...