• Show
Clear All
  • Niki Knuckles
    • Apr 2012

Hello People

Hi everyone,

I'm Nik. I live in Ontario Canada.

I'm new here, need to say hi.

I started using the bag for about 5 months.

I bought the platform for 5 bucks. It's a century. I took the bag from someone who owed me. Long story... I attached the bag to the swivel with a key ring, because it didn't come with all the parts.

That didn't last long. I made improvements that made it work. I took off right away. Now I need a new bag, the bladder is poking out at the seams.

It's a 10x7. I want to buy a 9x6. Or should I get a 8x5?!

I don't know.

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you all.

Thanks,

Nik
    Don't buy your speed bag from the same place you buy your tackle box.
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

Welcome Nik...Cheers!
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

Hello Nik. I would recommend you take the time and read the posts both in the main forums and in the "Goldmine". There is a wealth of information that can guide you in the direction you want to go. As far as bag size it's generally recommended that you start with a larger bag. The most readily available would be either a 7x10 or 6x9. Our member Speed Bag will tell you that control must come first before speed, and these size bags are excellent in this regard. Beginners who try to start on small bags often become frustrated because they can't control the bag, therefore they don't have speed they expect. Once you master control, the speed will follow naturally.

Comment

• Niki Knuckles
        • Apr 2012

Sounds good.

I'm gona buy a 6x9. My 7x10 was new, now it's done.

Is one able to walk into a sporting goods store, and buy a 6x9? Or is online the only way?

Thanks.

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

It depends upon were you are located. For the most part what is sold in sporting goods stores is not worth the money or trouble. Most Everlast products of late have suffered from some severe quality control issues, and personally I wouldnt touch a Century product. You best bet is going to be a Title or a Ringside. One of our members Ralph (RP65) has access to new old stock Ringside bags of varying sizes. He doesn't have them on hand all the time , you can PM him and ask what he has now and what he expects in. Title runs specials fairly regularly, check out the reviews that our members have given on them. For the most part you can't go wrong with either one of them.

Comment

• Niki Knuckles
            • Apr 2012

Awesome! Thanks!

I was reading posts, found one about popping a bag with a punch, it must have been a cheap piece of, I'll put pics up of what I did to a TKO bag. Did not take long... Maybe I can get my wife to sew it up?! HA HA

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Niki Knuckles View Post
              Hi everyone,

I'm Nik. I live in Ontario Canada.

I'm new here, need to say hi.

I started using the bag for about 5 months.

I bought the platform for 5 bucks. It's a century. I took the bag from someone who owed me. Long story... I attached the bag to the swivel with a key ring, because it didn't come with all the parts.

That didn't last long. I made improvements that made it work. I took off right away. Now I need a new bag, the bladder is poking out at the seams.

It's a 10x7. I want to buy a 9x6. Or should I get a 8x5?!

I don't know.

Anyway, I look forward to getting to know you all.

Thanks,

Nik
              HI Nik, Welcome to forum.

I would agree with Dutchman when he recommends a 10x7 or 9x6. You might also do with an 8x5 but perhaps blown up a little soft or "dead" to slow it down a bit.

The secret to "speed" on a bag is control, and that must come first. Like most things that can go really fast, you'll learn best slowly. Imagine taking your teenage son or daughter, who never drove a car a day in their life, out to winding road, put them in a farrari and tell them to floor it, go as fast as you can as soon as you can, and don't worry, you'll get the hang of it. but fasten your seat belt, just in case.

Not the best way to learn a potentially very fast machine. Speed Bag for beginners should really be "a control bag". As a matter of fact, forget about speed, for as you gain control, speed will just show up, unintended and unnannounced. Suddenly, you will notice your really putting some your pedal to the metal, the bag is ripping and you're really not even trying.
              Last edited by Speedbag; 04-22-2012, 09:40 PM.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Welcome to the forum Niki. You have some topnotch members giving you some great advice, I see.

When I first started the addiction, I worked out on a large Everlast bag for the first several months (well, I went through a couple bags in the process), and progressed on to a variety of bags. Some of my favorite bags these days are from Title. If you like a large (and heavy) bag, you could try a large Cleto Reyes. It's a real workout! Contact Ralph (RP65) via PM for more info on those and Ringside.
                sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...