• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ebozyn
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2010

Mayweather Jr Vs Ortiz. Reactions

The intentional headbutt.

The apology by Ortiz, a deceiving apology acceptance by Floyd, then a Floyd sucker punch KO. It's actually a little pitty pat left hook range finder type shot, and a straight right, on the button. That's how i see it anyway.

This is a perfect example of how a child reacts when they get caught doing something, that they know, they should not have done.

Wow! It was disappointing that the fight had to end the way it did. (a headbutt by Ortiz, An apology by ortiz, a deceiving apology acceptance by Floyd, then the before the ref told the guys to fight again... BOOM! "sucker punch combo" knockout. (I have to say, i feel the headbutt WAS intentional. very dirty) Not to mention the Baby Tantrum Mayweather threw when questioned by HBO's Larry Merchant about the "knockout". If you haven't seen, or heard this, it has to be seen, and heard to be believed. Mayweather looks just like you would imagine a 6 year old child would, when confronted with his wrongdoings. Shameful, disgusting, and laughable at the same time.

To be fair, Floyd had won every round up to that point, and i didn't see that changing. Ortiz was way out matched in my opinion. Ortiz, who had been throwing some good shots up to the point, got frustrated, and used his skull to Mayweather's face to show that frustration. Ortiz also seemed to be looking for a knockout opportunity, and that is a sure way to lose by points, especially when fighting Floyd Mayweather Jr. who is SOOO good at defense, and counter punching. But the thing that i feel Mayweather also does very well is... he's a HUMAN PUNCH COUNTER. Round by round, he'll go with his defense, counter punch at every opportunity, and all along he's counting points. If his opponent "throws" a two or three punch combo, (The opponent doesn't have to connect with all, or any of the punches) floyd counts three punches because the judges may have counted all the punches as connects. Floyd comes back with 5, or 6 punches. The old... you throw 3, i'll throw 6, type of mentality. It works very well for him, obviously. It's very smart boxing, and Floyd is a VERY smart boxer.

Floyd, i believe counts on the fact that most of the fighters he gets in the ring with are looking, and more importantly, WAITING for a "knockout opportunity" that rarely happens in any fight. And all along... while they're waiting, Floyd is chalking up points, counting his opponents points, and answering back with more points. Now, these "point punches" don't have to be huge to score, just enough to connect, or APPEAR TO CONNECT to the judges. Maybe, a boxer could wait until the opponents back is to the judges, and throw a huge flurry of punches. let's say, 1 out of 5 punches connect, the judges may count 2, or more as connects. (An old trick used in Hollywood by stunt persons to make movie fight scenes appear more realistic without actually hitting the target. I'm not saying it happened in this fight, but it has happened in the past, and i'm sure it will happen in the future.) It's smart boxing, but a bit shady, but so was the KO in this fight, IMO.

Oh well, on to the next.
    Bag On
    Last edited by ebozyn; 09-18-2011, 12:01 PM.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
    The intentional headbutt.

The apology by Ortiz, a deceiving apology acceptance by Floyd, then a Floyd sucker punch KO. It's actually a little pitty pat left hook range finder type shot, and a straight right, on the button. That's how i see it anyway.

This is a perfect example of how a child reacts when they get caught doing something, that they know, they should not have done.

Wow! It was disappointing that the fight had to end the way it did. (a headbutt by Ortiz, An apology by ortiz, a deceiving apology acceptance by Floyd, then the before the ref told the guys to fight again... BOOM! "sucker punch combo" knockout. (I have to say, i feel the headbutt WAS intentional. very dirty) Not to mention the Baby Tantrum Mayweather threw when questioned by HBO's Larry Merchant about the "knockout". If you haven't seen, or heard this, it has to be seen, and heard to be believed. Mayweather looks just like you would imagine a 6 year old child would, when confronted with his wrongdoings. Shameful, disgusting, and laughable at the same time.

To be fair, Floyd had won every round up to that point, and i didn't see that changing. Ortiz was way out matched in my opinion. Ortiz, who had been throwing some good shots up to the point, got frustrated, and used his skull to Mayweather's face to show that frustration. Ortiz also seemed to be looking for a knockout opportunity, and that is a sure way to lose by points, especially when fighting Floyd Mayweather Jr. who is SOOO good at defense, and counter punching. But the thing that i feel Mayweather also does very well is... he's a HUMAN PUNCH COUNTER. Round by round, he'll go with his defense, counter punch at every opportunity, and all along he's counting points. If his opponent "throws" a two or three punch combo, (The opponent doesn't have to connect with all, or any of the punches) floyd counts three punches because the judges may have counted all the punches as connects. Floyd comes back with 5, or 6 punches. The old... you throw 3, i'll throw 6, type of mentality. It works very well for him, obviously. It's very smart boxing, and Floyd is a VERY smart boxer.

Floyd, i believe counts on the fact that most of the fighters he gets in the ring with are looking, and more importantly, WAITING for a "knockout opportunity" that rarely happens in any fight. And all along... while they're waiting, Floyd is chalking up points, counting his opponents points, and answering back with more points. Now, these "point punches" don't have to be huge to score, just enough to connect, or APPEAR TO CONNECT to the judges. Maybe, a boxer could wait until the opponents back is to the judges, and throw a huge flurry of punches. let's say, 1 out of 5 punches connect, the judges may count 2, or more as connects. (An old trick used in Hollywood by stunt persons to make movie fight scenes appear more realistic without actually hitting the target. I'm not saying it happened in this fight, but it has happened in the past, and i'm sure it will happen in the future.) It's smart boxing, but a bit shady, but so was the KO in this fight, IMO.

Oh well, on to the next.
    Bag On
    Ortiz was rockin' Floyd with some hard shots and if it went four or five more rounds who's to say. Floyd wasn't doing all that much, his jab was working but not hurting Ortiz. Oblivious Ortiz was outboxed and he is Frazier to Floyd's Ali. But the Ortiz head butt played poorly, as did Floyd's acceptance of apology. The KO after was both shamefully cheap on Floyd's part, and also a lesson to defend yourself at all times. A classier gentleman fighter might not have taken the opening to sucker punch his opponent, but a street fighter, win at all costs, don't care about my image "because it's all about the money" fighter will take any opportunity to win.

As a boxer, I think Floyd is the top of his class. As a human being he needs a little work. He came from the street and can't rise above it. (reference, the interview afterward)

The reverse for Ortiz. As a boxer, he needs a little work to expand his skills. As a human being he is at the top of his class. He came from the street, will never forget it, but need never look back. Bet he helps a lot of others in similiar circumstances along the way.

If I used boxers for role models, there's no doubt who I'd choose in this one.

Screams for: REMATCH.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Johnny O
      • Apr 2011

Another black eye for boxing

It’s a shame, another example of boxing shooting itself in the foot.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...