Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The word us working stiffs absolutely HATE:MURDER..ER I mean uh.. MERGER!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • The word us working stiffs absolutely HATE:MURDER..ER I mean uh.. MERGER!

    Well murder is what we feel is happening to our jobs . SON Of a !@#$!!!!!!!!!!. I'm back at that old crossroads again. As if living paycheck to paycheck and being told to be grateful for it ain't bad enough, the company I work for is m...mer..ah f!@ # IT! MERGING and 1700 jobs are bieng cut nationwide along with 100 facilities closing. Long story as short as understandable, we have until Oct. 4 to decide if we are going to opt out for the severance package(12 weeks plus a $1500 payout) or stick it out until January 30 when the mer....head cutting is complete and still possibly get laid off. Oh yeah we also have to decide between bidding for work at three terminals, one of which is 61 miles one way drive from my house and the other is 95 miles away! So much for ever seeing the wife and kids again let alone bagging. I know the economy is rough and be grateful ...yeah I know.....still sucks Dog @#$$ (not that I ever would) and I'm kinda venting ...thanks for listening or in this case reading
    sigpic

  • #2
    Sorry to hear that Metaldad. Geez, I wish I could hook a brotha up with something steady. Those of us with steady jobs don't really feel the brunt of these times. I see it daily on the news, and hear it from the vets I work with, but until it's YOUR home and YOUR family and YOUR life that is directly involved, it's hard to fathom. Really sorry to hear it and I got faith you'll make it through. Somehow.

    Any baggers in Chitown area own a trucking company, or know someone that does??
    Speed Bag

    Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Onward to SpeedB.A.G. X! Summer 2019

    THE 10th Year Reunion!

    sigpic

    The Art of the Bag

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by metaldad View Post
      Well murder is what we feel is happening to our jobs . SON Of a !@#$!!!!!!!!!!. I'm back at that old crossroads again.... I'm kinda venting ...thanks for listening or in this case reading
      Sorry to hear MetalDad, I hope it all works out for the better. The uncertainty is probably the worst part. Their is a decision to make with no way to tell what the best decision for you and your family will be !!!!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
        Sorry to hear that Metaldad. Geez, I wish I could hook a brotha up with something steady. Those of us with steady jobs don't really feel the brunt of these times. I see it daily on the news, and hear it from the vets I work with, but until it's YOUR home and YOUR family and YOUR life that is directly involved, it's hard to fathom. Really sorry to hear it and I got faith you'll make it through. Somehow.

        Any baggers in Chitown area own a trucking company, or know someone that does??
        Thanks Alan. At least for now I still HAVE a job. It's been slow lately, I haven't been working the full 40 hour week Mon-Fri, i.e. Tuesday I left at the 7 hour mark (no more work for the day) and last night I left at 6 1/2 hrs. I've been taking weekend work to balance things out but that doesn't always pan out. I started putting the feelers out for another gig but I'm worried about shooting myself in the foot. If I opt for the severance, I still have to stay until Jan. 30 and the money won't come until 2 weeks after that! If I opt to wait it out I may bumped out by someone with more seniority. Sure I can draw unemployment until I find another job, but at least with the severance I could pay rent a couple of months ahead and pay off our mini-van(yay soccer dad!) and I'm tenacious enough to find a job instead of sit on my ass playin' playstation (God knows I would love to though) as unemplyment checks barely cover any real necessities..I'd probably find a better job alot faster lol! So I've been bangin' my head against the steering wheel going back and forth mentally on which move to make.....Feels like I'm trying to outwit Bobby Fisher in a match and my only knowledge is PQ4!

        Originally posted by Tim View Post
        Sorry to hear MetalDad, I hope it all works out for the better. The uncertainty is probably the worst part. Their is a decision to make with no way to tell what the best decision for you and your family will be !!!!
        Thanks Tim. Yeah it is and there so much misinformation that we're all pretty peeved about the possible outcomes. Our TM(Terminal Manager) said if it turns out that there is no work in our job classification at the terminals we bid for, we can opt for layoff and still get severance. My question is how is that possible? If I'm laid off I'm definitely marching down to the unemployment office. But if I'm given a severance isn't that considered a voluntary resignation? I haven't found any documentation on the legalities. Bottom line is no matter what I decide, I won't really know anything until after Jan.30. I still got two weeks to bid for terminal spot.
        Last edited by metaldad; 09-23-2010, 10:28 AM. Reason: spelling
        sigpic

        Comment


        • #5
          Sorry to hear your delimma. I work at CSX railroad and i have been there a little over 8 years. I operated freight trains (conductor). I know there is a terminal in your area. If interested go to CSX.com and look for careers. Railroad has been on a big hiring spree for years now. Everyweek different jobs will pop up on there. I know how the whole hiring process works and what they test for. Its just an option if you need one. Hit me up with a private message if you have any questions.....I will be glad to help anyway i can! Good luck...I mean it!
          evilswivel@yahoo.com

          Comment


          • #6
            Know what you are going through MD. The first time it happened to me was six and half years ago. The family owned business that I had worked for for twenty-four years lost control of the trust that owned it to a bank, and they decided that it wasn't an "appropriate asset" and annouced that they would auction it off in six months. Longest six months of my life, and no white knight came in to rescue it when the time came. Took a year to find work after that. Then the present situation with no warning. I'm still looking, but I'm not giving up.

            Comment


            • #7
              Sorry to hear that MD!! hope it all works out OK for you my friend.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by jumpcannon View Post
                Sorry to hear your delimma. I work at CSX railroad and i have been there a little over 8 years. I operated freight trains (conductor). I know there is a terminal in your area. If interested go to CSX.com and look for careers. Railroad has been on a big hiring spree for years now. Everyweek different jobs will pop up on there. I know how the whole hiring process works and what they test for. Its just an option if you need one. Hit me up with a private message if you have any questions.....I will be glad to help anyway i can! Good luck...I mean it!
                Thank you JC. I'll definitely look into it. If the railyard you're referring to is Bedford Park, that yerd is less than 15 minutes from my house.


                Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                Know what you are going through MD. The first time it happened to me was six and half years ago. The family owned business that I had worked for for twenty-four years lost control of the trust that owned it to a bank, and they decided that it wasn't an "appropriate asset" and annouced that they would auction it off in six months. Longest six months of my life, and no white knight came in to rescue it when the time came. Took a year to find work after that. Then the present situation with no warning. I'm still looking, but I'm not giving up.
                That's the key Dutchman. Keep at at it til you find something. I don't like the present situation at FedEx but I figure if I found this job I'll find another. There's still options here at FedEx. I may not like it but ay least there's something !

                Originally posted by fingers View Post
                Sorry to hear that MD!! hope it all works out OK for you my friend.
                Thank you fingers. Guys, thanks for all the morale support! I still got options. All is not lost. At least for now I still got a job!
                sigpic

                Comment


                • #9
                  The lottery is another option. LOL....hook me up with a speedbag or two if you win!
                  evilswivel@yahoo.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by jumpcannon View Post
                    The lottery is another option. LOL....hook me up with a speedbag or two if you win!
                    Without a doubt! When it happens, if I'm not at least hosting the next event, then dinner and booze is on me!
                    sigpic

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by metaldad View Post
                      Without a doubt! When it happens, if I'm not at least hosting the next event, then dinner and booze is on me!
                      Fair enough! I love lobster and king crab legs. So just keep that in mind
                      evilswivel@yahoo.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Wow, Patrick, sorry to hear about your recent situation. Seems like you've been on a roller coaster ride the last couple of years.

                        I sincerely hope things work out for you. Don't give up! Keep us posted.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Biff View Post
                          Wow, Patrick, sorry to hear about your recent situation. Seems like you've been on a roller coaster ride the last couple of years.

                          I sincerely hope things work out for you. Don't give up! Keep us posted.
                          Thanks Biff! There do seem to be options on the table. Nothing set in stone yet. For now I'm still working everyday!
                          sigpic

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Hey Metal. I haven't had a good experience with my union either. After some unfortunate events the company I was working for crumbled and one of our employees organized. The company split on the vote and a labor board hearing was set. The shop closed and a union company took our contracts. After seven months I finally recieved a call about some work through the union. They gave three of us out of twenty work. When we finished the 60% of rate job we hustled to finish we were laid off again. No union guys would take the pay cut, thats the only reason we got the call. Now I'm suspended because I won't pay dues, why would I? They only worked me three months and let me go a week before Christmas last year, but thats where my speed bag journey began and if it wasn't for all of this happenning I might have never found the power in the bag. My bags really helped me to vent all that frustration I was going through. I hope your situation doesn't get any worse and goood luck.

                            Comment

                            Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...
                            X