• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgatt
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

Slip Punch

Since this has nothing to do with speed bags or any other type of bag, it is only fair to put it in the off topic section.

Since there was interest in a device that just helps in slipping and blocking, I made one for a local boxing gym to try and it was well received by the owner and the patrons that tried it. Rey Perez, the owner of the gym, even let me film him using it in the gym off hours as I activated the slip punch with my hand.

It could be seen at:

Let me know what you think of it. It really gives your upper body a workout just slipping it.
  • Crapsterface
    • Nov 2009

from what i saw on the video i like that thing. its at least 100 times better then those next to usules slipbags on a long rope. I like how it fights. It looks like the next best thing to a person because it punches at you. Does it throw those hits at random ? Good for reaction aswell. Thats Great.

Comment

• atgatt
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

Crapster, I think the slip bag is ok for practicing how to move your body to dodge, but I see it as waaaaaaaay too predictable as seen here:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Rey, in the vids has great head movement. I wished he would have stood in the path of the arm more before it fired off, but he is smart in only crossing the path of it quickly. After watching him, I will still practice head movement like his because he shows how coordinated he could move doing it. Moving like he does shows how balanced and in shape he is.

What I really appreciate in the Slip Punch and RBT is that you can practice realistic jab speeds coming at you but you don't get hurt if you get hit which allows you to practice a whole lot more. After boxing against the RBT for these past months, I get hit a lot less than when I started.

In the vids, I was activating a hand switch to fire off the arm. If someone wanted to use it by themselves and have it random, they have to also get the random module I already have that fires the arm off by itself at random. Problem is, than random device is not cheap as compared to a simple hand switch. Still, a person can just fire off the arm at themselves using the hand switch too but it is more predictable.

Comment

• Crapsterface
        • Nov 2009

I agree slipbags are slow and waaaayy to predictable.

Comment

• Tim
          Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Agreed... 1,000% better than an old fashioned slip bag. What do you think the price range would be if mass produced? Cool idea.

Comment

• atgatt
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2007

Originally posted by Tim View Post
            Agreed... 1,000% better than an old fashioned slip bag. What do you think the price range would be if mass produced? Cool idea.
            Tim, I'm hoping I could find someone to license it, but if I can't, I may just produce them myself since I know exactly what is needed. I can't make it out of cheaper materials that I originally used because I found it couldn't take the abuse over time. What I have now has taken a lot of abuse with no problems.

Bottom line, if I got enough people interested and I ordered the materials in a bigger bulk, I'm thinking I could sell it for about $150.

The "problem" with it is, it does NOT telegraph, so even at an average jab speed of 8 or 9 mph, if your face is in front, you'll very likely won't slip it. At higher speeds than that, you won't slip it. It goes up to 13 mph, so if you are at the very end of the 18" punch length, you have .08 of second to react. The fastest average reaction time is a male about 18 years old and their reaction time is about .15 of a second. It is best to run it at the "lower" speeds of about 6 or 7 mph.

My fear is an idiot will use it without the headgear and lose and eye then sue me even though I say, you HAVE to wear head gear. It does not hurt with head gear, but it does not take much to screw up an eye.

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
              Tim, I'm hoping I could find someone to license it, but if I can't, I may just produce them myself since I know exactly what is needed. I can't make it out of cheaper materials that I originally used because I found it couldn't take the abuse over time. What I have now has taken a lot of abuse with no problems.

Bottom line, if I got enough people interested and I ordered the materials in a bigger bulk, I'm thinking I could sell it for about $150.

The "problem" with it is, it does NOT telegraph, so even at an average jab speed of 8 or 9 mph, if your face is in front, you'll very likely won't slip it. At higher speeds than that, you won't slip it. It goes up to 13 mph, so if you are at the very end of the 18" punch length, you have .08 of second to react. The fastest average reaction time is a male about 18 years old and their reaction time is about .15 of a second. It is best to run it at the "lower" speeds of about 6 or 7 mph.

My fear is an idiot will use it without the headgear and lose and eye then sue me even though I say, you HAVE to wear head gear. It does not hurt with head gear, but it does not take much to screw up an eye.
              No matter what your directions say, or how much safety warning you provide, you cannot protect people from themselves. Every night on the news we hear about people who died in a wreck because they didn't wear their seatbelt, People driving while intoxicated, etc. Despite daily and repetitive warnings against that behavior. I also was afraid that someone would get a bag, board and my training program to learn the speed bag, improperly hang or adjust the board, and while they are punching it falls on their head, causing head or neck trauma, or worse, or the bag flying off and smacking them in the face etc. and suing me for not warning them about that specific risk.

If what you fear is true, than every boxing company could be seen to have some liability for idiots that buy all kinds of boxing gear from them, go out in the back yard and spar or fight each other without headgear or mouthguards, wrapping their hands etc. When one gets seriously injured they could sue the boxing company where they bought the equipment. Somewhere there is a disclaimer against boxing without proper protective equiment, but more and more people seem to ignore it.

Good luck with your products. Hopefully the punching action and the slipping action can be done on the same machine.
              Last edited by Speedbag; 01-11-2010, 09:56 PM.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• atgatt
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Nov 2007

Thanks Speedbag. Product Liability Insurance is very expensive and it is sad that any idiot could sue you and it takes a lot of money just to defend yourself. I'll look into it more.

I'm going to show it at another boxing gym tomorrow and leave it there for a while to get a lot of feedback. At least gyms have their own insurance and people are supervised.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...