• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Uggh, elbow surgery

After putting up with elbow pain for the last several years that wasn't getting any better, I finally went to see a Dr. about it last fall and it was diagnosed as dilateral epicondilitis or tennis elbow http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tennis_elbow.

I went through Occupational Therapy which made the pain go away, but the stiffness never subsided. A cortisone shot was the miracle cure for six weeks, but after that, I finally gave up and got the surgery about two weeks ago. The recovery so far has been very tough, but I'm told I should be nearly back to normal in about 4 to 6 weeks after going through therapy again. The cure sure seems to be worse than the symptoms at this point, but I have faith that it will get better soon.

Wish me luck, I haven't been able to hit the bag (or really do any exercise other than running) for at least six months or so. I hope to be back at it by May!

Chris

p.s. No, I've never played tennis a day in my life. If I had to attribute it to any repetitive motion over many years, it would be push ups. I've done millions of them over the past 25 years or so.
    Last edited by Chris M; 03-17-2009, 01:49 PM.
  • Biff
    Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Sorry to hear about your recent surgery. It sounds like it was needed.

Here's hoping for a full and complete recovery to your surgery. Listen to the health professionals, continue your therapy, and I'm sure you'll be banging on the bag shortlly.

Good luck.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

I sort of know how you feel. I had an ulnar nerve transposition about 15 years ago. It took about 6 months to get back to full stroke baggin. Be patient and let yourself heal. You've got a lot of punching left to do, and here's hoping it's pain free.
      Last edited by Speedbag; 03-17-2009, 09:02 PM.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Mar 2006

Thanks guys! I just had to share some misery. If nothing else, this ordeal has made me grateful that I've been relatively trouble free (physiologically anyway, LOL!) for 45 years!

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
          Thanks guys! I just had to share some misery. If nothing else, this ordeal has made me grateful that I've been relatively trouble free (physiologically anyway, LOL!) for 45 years!
          ugh oh. 45 years old? Then You won't heal like a 20 year old. Be patient.

for what its worth, I was 43 or 44 when I had my elbow surgery. I was finishing the SBB book and my left elbow was killing me from WTMSB ( Way Too Much Speed Bag). My ulnar nerve was badly frayed and my ring and little fingers were numb about half the time. Surgery to move the nerve out of the notch was the only fix. I've had lots of surgeries, and this was one of the best as far as results. My left elbow hasn't bothered me since.
          Last edited by Speedbag; 03-18-2009, 10:43 AM.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
            Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris M View Post
            Wish me luck, I haven't been able to hit the bag (or really do any exercise other than running) for at least six months or so. I hope to be back at it by May!
            I hope you have a speedy recovery. I've "been there done that" (for the shoulder, not the elbow). Take it slow and go on the conservative side. My left shoulder is problem free now, the surgery having been about almost 1.5 years ago.

Comment

• Kyle
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2006

good luck with everything...hopefully you will at least still be able to contribute to this forums...you have been a great help on building this forum.
              ________
              Vaporite Price
              Last edited by Kyle; 09-11-2011, 06:49 AM.

Comment

• Chris M
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Mar 2006

Thanks Kyle, I do plan on being around and posting some. My outdoor speedbag platform needs some work, my drum split apart and is now in two pieces. It's not a big deal, I'm going to put the pieces on my jointer and reglue it with some biscuits and it will be good as new. I am going to have to refinish it though. I think the issue is the sandbags that I have on top holds the moisture on top of the drum after it rains. I'm going to need to figure out a way to either waterproof the drum or come up with another solution for weight on top of it though. That wet sand is what caused the damage. Now that the weather is getting nice, I can get to work on that thing.

Update on my elbow is that I was pain free for a day or so when I got it out of the splint. However, I immediately started therapy and it hurts just as much as ever now. I can now understand why some people don't do their therapy after something like this because it causes so much pain the next day. I know it's temporary and I'll stick with it. I want this problem gone for good very badly!

p.s., I ran for the first time in 2 weeks last night. I can't believe how out of shape you can get after such a short period of time. I couldn't run my normal 5k at nearly the same time as I used to. Aging is a bitch.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...