Clear All
  • Del-Striking
    • Aug 2014

How far

Trying to smooth out this combo.
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

It's working... just keep at it....looking smooth to me!
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Del-Striking
      • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
      It's working... just keep at it....looking smooth to me!
      Thanks Zaza, it took me quite a while to get the bag moving straight front to back after the side double punches to setup for the downward elbow strike. Has an interesting beat to it.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2015

The beat of the combination matches the music really nicely I thought, especially at the start of the song.

Comment

• Del-Striking
          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Speedbag Seaweed Man View Post
          The beat of the combination matches the music really nicely I thought, especially at the start of the song.
          I usually always have some music going when I'm banging, I wasn't really trying to keep tempo but was focusing on the combo. Thanks SSM.

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Del-Striking View Post
            Thanks Zaza, it took me quite a while to get the bag moving straight front to back after the side double punches to setup for the downward elbow strike. Has an interesting beat to it.
            Hey Del...

Maybe I can offer some help.

First, I interpret this to mean you are trying to go from a Side Double Punch (SDP) to a Downward Double Elbow Strike (D-DES)? (that is what I see you doing occasionally). So remember, the key to a Side Double is the second fist which is the one that connects the side of the bag. You can vary the contact point of this fist slightly to hit more "behind" the bag when you feel you are going to follow with a D-DES from the front. This will give you a more front-to-back rebound angle, making the downward a bit easier.

SDP ' ' D-DES

(* if that side fist hits more directly on side, or even toward the front panel, then remember that fist movement may returning to the front of the bag (pass thru) may cause you upper body, chest to rotate with it, making it awkward for the "other arm" to make the downward elbow contact. That side of the body may be angling away from the bag, making the downward or inward motion toward the center of the body difficult. moving that side contact a bit toward the rear panels of the bag will not cause your body to turn so much as the fist returns front.

I also see you doing a single fist pass front to back (Front Circle Punch (FCP) to Reverse Single Punch (RSP) after the Side Double Punches

SDP ' ' SDP ' ' FCP ' ' RSP ' ' D-DES.

which really solves your problem since the RSP pretty much gets the angle you need. You might try a practice exercise doing Downward-Double Elbow Strike (D-DES) and let that same fist pass through to Reverse Single Punch (RSP)

Right Arm: D-DES ' ' RSP ' ' .....Left Arm D-DES ' ' RSP ' ' ....repeat. This will help develop a bit more control with the Downward elbow motion.

Hope that helps.

Now as far as punch drumming with this, keep in mind that the "sound" or "beat" of a D-DES is a double beat da-DA, just like any double punch, and they can be interchanged for each other. For beat purposes it will probably be easier to use a FDP than a D-DES. You mentioned you were not necessary trying to "hit to the music", but I hope you hear how some of your punching was actually in sync to the song, and some was not.

I'm sure Los Lonely Boys will love seeing you train to their music. It's a great pace for training.

How far is heaven:
            Last edited by Speedbag; 07-25-2015, 02:11 PM.
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Del-Striking
              • Aug 2014

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              Hey Del...

Maybe I can offer some help.

First, I interpret this to mean you are trying to go from a Side Double Punch (SDP) to a Downward Double Elbow Strike (D-DES)? (that is what I see you doing occasionally). So remember, the key to a Side Double is the second fist which is the one that connects the side of the bag. You can vary the contact point of this fist slightly to hit more "behind" the bag when you feel you are going to follow with a D-DES from the front. This will give you a more front-to-back rebound angle, making the downward a bit easier.

SDP ' ' D-DES

(* if that side fist hits more directly on side, or even toward the front panel, then remember that fist movement may returning to the front of the bag (pass thru) may cause you upper body, chest to rotate with it, making it awkward for the "other arm" to make the downward elbow contact. That side of the body may be angling away from the bag, making the downward or inward motion toward the center of the body difficult. moving that side contact a bit toward the rear panels of the bag will not cause your body to turn so much as the fist returns front.

I also see you doing a single fist pass front to back (Front Circle Punch (FCP) to Reverse Single Punch (RSP) after the Side Double Punches

SDP ' ' SDP ' ' FCP ' ' RSP ' ' D-DES.

which really solves your problem since the RSP pretty much gets the angle you need. You might try a practice exercise doing Downward-Double Elbow Strike (D-DES) and let that same fist pass through to Reverse Single Punch (RSP)

Right Arm: D-DES ' ' RSP ' ' .....Left Arm D-DES ' ' RSP ' ' ....repeat. This will help develop a bit more control with the Downward elbow motion.

Hope that helps.

Now as far as punch drumming with this, keep in mind that the "sound" or "beat" of a D-DES is a double beat da-DA, just like any double punch, and they can be interchanged for each other. For beat purposes it will probably be easier to use a FDP than a D-DES. You mentioned you were not necessary trying to "hit to the music", but I hope you hear how some of your punching was actually in sync to the song, and some was not.

I'm sure Los Lonely Boys will love seeing you train to their music. It's a great pace for training.

How far is heaven:
              For sure, Thanks Alan. That link that I use between the SDP and the D-DES gives it a marching band sound rather than a smooth continuous flow of double punches. I'm on it, appreciate the advice.

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Del-Striking View Post
                For sure, Thanks Alan. That link that I use between the SDP and the D-DES gives it a marching band sound rather than a smooth continuous flow of double punches. I'm on it, appreciate the advice.

..SDP ' ' FCP ' ' RCP ' '
                da-DA ' ' Da ' ' Da ' '

very much like cadence drumming ..ie marching band sound.

Start sounding out your bag punching and you will start to notice beats like that which is helpful for punch drumming, for eventually you will hear that beat in your head while punching to music and with advancing skill you will be able to reproduce that beat through the bag regardless of your hand position around that bag. Meaning, you can start virtually every beat pattern you can imagine from any hand position.

(secret: Most beat, or groove, rhythms or patterns begin with either a single, double or triple accented beat sound and you can do that with your hands in any position. (single punch, double punch or 3-punch roll or "3-punch Monty")

Last edited by Speedbag; 07-27-2015, 08:10 PM.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...