X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • quantumhands
    • Aug 2012

looking for a song

so I have attempted to punch drum to many different song and every attempt seem to be a failure, so my question to you all is what is a good song with a prominent beat that is easy to follow? here is a recent video to show that I am by no means a "beginner" though I do still get nervous and camera shy when I hit the record button

• Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

I think it's more of a question of what kind of music 'moves' you? You can punchdrum to just about any tune, but if you 'feel' it, it's that much better. For me, it's all about the Kick, snare & high-hat...I'm a rock kind of guy. I also like tunes that come in around 115 bpm's (beats per minute...tempo)

Some of my current favorites:
    Donald Fagen / Steely Dan
    Alanis Morissette
    Sting
    Breaking Benjamin
    Linkin Park
    the new Deep Purple
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• rehamco1
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by quantumhands View Post
      so I have attempted to punch drum to many different song and every attempt seem to be a failure, so my question to you all is what is a good song with a prominent beat that is easy to follow? here is a recent video to show that I am by no means a "beginner" though I do still get nervous and camera shy when I hit the record button

Good moves...I agree with ZAZA about the music. right now I am looking for Wee Willie by The Sweet.
      good luck in your quest.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by quantumhands View Post

Break this down to it's basic requirement, and you just need a simple beat to follow. The beat or accents of the song melody can often interfere for learning simply stay "on beat." Use metronomes like these. Keep time to them using the basic triplet beat, Continuous Front Double Punching, Continuous Outward Triple Elbow Striking, Front Fist Rolling, and Single and Double fist (linking) pass throughs.

Metronome, 90 bpm
        95 Beats per Minute Metronome click with beats and 4/4 bars counting.Moderato -- moderately (86--97 BPM)

100 bpm

120 bpm
        120 Beats per Minute Metronome click with beats and 4/4 bars counting.Allegro -- fast, quickly and bright (109--132 BPM)Allegretto -- moderately quick (98--1...

simple rock beat, drums metronome 90 bpm

simple rock, drums metronome 120 bpm

funky groove 120 bpm
        Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Funky drum tracks
        Quality instrumental drum tracks for bass guitar, jam tracks or as a bass guitar backing track. Drum beats instrumental in full song style format, better tha...

There are lots of these online. Play with them for a while, learning to follow the beat, and then.. when you feel pretty confident.

Test your might.

“Techno Syndrome” is a song composed by Oliver Adams and performed by the Belgian techno duo The Immortals, commonly associated with the Mortal Kombat series...

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
          I think it's more of a question of what kind of music 'moves' you! You can punchdrum to just about any tune, but if you 'feel' it, it's that much better.

This is how it works for me. And, I don't go looking for a particular song. I let it find ME. I work out listening to my playlist or to Pandora. A certain song will play, and something clicks and I am compelled to punch in time with it. A week later, that same song might not do it for me. It's all about my mood and the beat of a particular song.

Alan's suggestion to listen to a metronome (there are free Apps for phones) is a great idea, imo. For one thing, it will help you to find out if you can even "carry a beat." Here's an interesting link that talks about Beat-Deaf individuals:

Research published online this week in the Philosophical Transactions of the Royal Society B analyzed two beat-deaf individuals, called Mathieu and Marjorie, alongside a group of controls as they attempted to mimic a metronome’s beat by tapping on a keyboard.

Before the metronome began ticking, both groups could tap a consistent rhythm, suggesting that the beat-deaf individuals were capable of generating a beat; their struggles came when they had to match their tapping to what they were hearing.

In particular, Mathieu and Marjorie had trouble adjusting their tapping when the phase or period of the metronome changed—a task the control group accomplished with ease.

The researchers state that beat deafness is not a lack of rhythm, but rather an inability to translate an auditory stimulus into a motor response. The work could help understand how humans cooperate during synchronized activities like rowing or dancing.

Here's the link to the story:

Something to think about if you're having trouble keeping a beat.

Here is a video of a forum member "Eighty-eight." (Jack Tyrrell). He's a pianist. He posted this video of himself punching along with a metronome. This might really help others get into the rhythm of the beat:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Uploaded on Mar 25, 2010
          Hitting the speed bag [Title 6x9] keeping time to a metronome set to 120 bpm. Techniques used: Basic Rhythm, Front Fist Rolls, and Full Figure 8 Link. All techniques are shown in Alan Kahn's Speed Bag Bible.

Something to keep in mind is that you don't necessarily need a lot of fancy punches or combos to be a punch-drummer, although it helps to know 4-5 basic punches or combinations. You should know them to the point where you know when to apply them to a particular song. The bag is your instrument and like any instrument, it requires a LOT of practice. You definitely have the skills, quantumhands. You've obviously put in the hours of practice. Go for it!
          sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
          I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...