Excellent!

Excellent!

Comment

• ebozyn
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Oct 2010

Cool! Kickin' baggin' Vid.

I likes me some skynyrd too.

Na ya have yerself two skynyrds. You have your pre airplane crash skynyrd, and yer post crash skynyrd. or as i like to refer to 'em as: Aft-Skynyrd, and ForeSkynyrd.

Nice baggin jake
      Attached Files

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Jake View Post

This just gets to be more fun everyday.

Great "syncopated" combinations.

Now a note about bag size and relation to punch drumming.

You look to be using an 8x5 fighting sports bag and hitting it pretty "easy" (not hard) to this song. That is because of the song speed and how the accent patterns of the bag beat. If you want to make this song a bit more physical, put on a larger bag, such as an 10x7 or 11x8, which will require you to punch a bit harder to keep the same beat.

Now on that 8x5 you can also jump to double time very easily using basic rhythm punching. Think of it like this: At :9 sec you do a 5 punch fist roll and then let the right fist pass through front to back RSP ' ' FCP for 9 punches.
        Those 9 punches are perfectly in sync to the song landing "on the beat" and directly inbetween the beats. [we would count that 1 & 2 & 3 & 4 &....]
        anyway, they all land perfectly on the beat with only two rebounds inbetween the punches.

You can actually do the same thing by coming out of that Front Fist Roll (F-Roll) to fast basic rhythm punching. I say "fast" basic rhythm punching from the front of the bag because you will have to punch faster/harder to allow for the extra rebounds (3 rebounds inbetween punches from the front, not 2 used in the fist passing front to back)

song like this, kind of a slow rock groove, will let you jump all over it with the bag, jumping to double time in both basic rhythm and syncopated punch drumming, or slowing back down. When you tap your foot to it, notice how you can tap slowly on the main pulse or tap faster. You can find several "beat speeds" for it.

There is nothing wrong with what you're doing, and you add in some pretty fancy combo's but sometimes I think you're trying to force a combo (and the sound it makes) into a place it doesn't quite fit, and it throws the bag off beat for a few punches until you correct it back.

Just for fun (and bag beat control), you might try punching ONLY from the front to this song, and try to do it a different speeds of punching, letting your ears match the beats up. you will have no problem with matching them. Try using just Front punching techniques, such as;

Front Circle Punch........(FCP)
        Front Straight Punch.....(FSP)
        Front Double Punch......(FDP)
        Front Fist Rolling..........(F-Roll)
        Outward Double Elbow.......(O-DES)
        Outward Triple Elbow.........(O-TES)
        Downward Double Elbow.....(D-DES)
        Downward Triple Elbow.......(D-TES)

The single fist punches of FCP and FSP will give you the "single beat accents",
        The FDP, O-DES, D-DES will give you the "double beat accents"
        the Triple elbow strikes O-TES and D-TES will give you "triple beat accents"
        The Fist Roll (F-Roll) can go beyond that or be the glue to run from one to the other.

These only use the front of the bag so everything (all combinations) will be in the triplet rhythm, with 3 rebounds inbetween. With just these you can make all kinds of beats with this song and move it around to punch at a few different speeds. Again, you ear will tell you when you are "in time" with the song. for instance, try:

FDP ' ' ' FDP combo's (double beat)
        O-DES ' ' ' O-DES combo's (double beat)
        O-DES ' ' ' D-DES combo's (double beat)
        O-TES ' ' ' O-TES combo's (triple beat)
        F-Rollx3 = (triple beat)

Then try to add in just two of the three reverse techniques, The Reverse Single Punch (RSP) and Reverse Double Punch (RDP). This will give you single fist and double fist passing combo's and beats. You can do a lot with the
        FDP ' ' RDP ' ' FDP... and Front Fist Roll (F-Roll) on this song.

The above front and reverse combo's works really well with a bounce groove song like La Grange by ZZ-top.

I think the above will help expand your understanding and ability to vary your punch drumming patterns, and how bag size and punching speed can be used to open up more variety. Then you can throw in some of what you are doing above, and notice how your bag speed and bag groove changes. but it will all be in time. Just a suggestion.

hope it makes sense and helps.

(..and it may help when you make the jump to FreeBird
        * suggest an 8x5 or smaller for 4:40 - to end)
        Last edited by Speedbag; 01-10-2012, 01:36 PM.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Jake
          • Mar 2011

Thanks Alan. I will try your suggestions.

I was watching your Bang-a-drum video recently. You are really hammering the bag. Great video!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks Alan. I will try your suggestions.

I was watching your Bang-a-drum video recently. You are really hammering the bag. Great video!

yep, that's a blast from the past, One of several great theme songs for the speed bag, like "the rhythm is gonna get you", "Turn the beat around" and "I can feel the beat". That particular clip was shot in 1998 or 99 and that 8x5 bag is seen in many of my clips of that era. Has to be voted my personal favorite. It also appears in the opening of my DVD's. I punched it until the seams blew out completely and it still kept going, and it never leaked until the bladder blew completely. By then I had punched most of the leather coloring off the belly.

Note the nice "tape deck" I had underneath playing the music. I hadn't made the change to CD yet, so I had learned to make 5 copies of a song by to back, so I wouldn't have to rewind after every take. I almost always hit to the same song 5-10 times in a row, especially if I'm taping.

a lot has changed since then. Note the pretty much straight line from chest to bottom of pants in that pic. HA! The six pack has become a case, and may soon be a Keg if I don't get back on the work out wagon.
            Attached Files
            Last edited by Speedbag; 01-10-2012, 02:28 PM.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Jake
              • Mar 2011

Originally posted by ebozyn View Post
              Cool! Kickin' baggin' Vid.

I likes me some skynyrd too.

Na ya have yerself two skynyrds. You have your pre airplane crash skynyrd, and yer post crash skynyrd. or as i like to refer to 'em as: Aft-Skynyrd, and ForeSkynyrd.

Nice baggin jake
              Hey Ebozyn, I remember the morning I heard about the Lynrd Skynrd plane crash like it was yesterday. My friend had 10th row center stage floor seats for the upcoming Boston Garden show. He loved Skynrd and had the best seats in the house. He was not only a class clown, but probably the biggest funniest clown in the school (in a good way). I'll never forget how sad he looked when he walked into Graphics class that morning. He didn't joke around at all that day.

I don't think I'm familiar with the new Skynrd stuff. I guess I have probably heard it. I've heard Ronnie Van Zant was the heart and soul of Skynrd, so I can't imagine they were ever as good after losing him.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Hey Ebozyn, I remember the morning I heard about the Lynrd Skynrd plane crash like it was yesterday. My friend had 10th row center stage floor seats for the upcoming Boston Garden show. He loved Skynrd and had the best seats in the house. He was not only a class clown, but probably the biggest funniest clown in the school (in a good way). I'll never forget how sad he looked when he walked into Graphics class that morning. He didn't joke around at all that day.

I don't think I'm familiar with the new Skynrd stuff. I guess I have probably heard it. I've heard Ronnie Van Zant was the heart and soul of Skynrd, so I can't imagine they were ever as good after losing him.
                Guitarists and musicians can be replaced but their Persona can't. Many great bands were great no only for their music, but also for their people that played it. When the originals leave, it just never seems the same.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• PunchDrummer
                  • Jan 2012

Wow - really nice Jake. I liked that alot!
                  Love the tribute to Brian too Alan!

Comment

• Jake
                    • Mar 2011

Thanks for the positive comments Punchdrummer and Newbagger.

Hey Alan, I have been taking your advice, and making my bag time more physical. It's like a whole new experience. I've been giving the bag a good hard beating. It takes a lot of effort to keep the bag going hard. I find myself with sore shoulders again. It feels good.

I have a long way to go. I will start experimenting with different size bags. I also need to experiment with inflating the bags a little harder. I keep that FS 5x8 pretty soft. I really have to give it a severe beating to keep it going at a fast pace.

I have the FS 5x8 (my favorite right now), a Title 5x8 (it's really lopsided!), a Title 6x9 (used to be my favorite), and a Title 7x10 (the first bag I bought for Bible Style Hitting). I also have an old Everlast 6x9 4200 Gyro Balanced bag.

All your advice and suggestions have been really helpful!!!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...