• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

More Punching Drumming Clips

Here's a few more clips featuring slower songs. Most of these are on a 9x6 Bag.

Rise

Rhythm of the night

Bustin' Loose

Living in America (*note plastic ballhook Just put it up..)

Snake Charmer

Don't You Forget About Me

Hope you enjoy them. Notice I often have fun when I'm punch drumming.
    Last edited by Speedbag; 12-14-2011, 05:26 PM.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag
  • hammer6384
    • Dec 2010

Good Stuff

I enjoyed all of those. Its great watching the King at work..
    SpeedBag Hammer

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by hammer6384 View Post
      I enjoyed all of those. Its great watching the King at work..
      ditto.
      sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
      I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Jake
        • Mar 2011

Thanks for posting these videos Alan.

Since you suggested I get more physical with the bag, I have been doing that, and watching a lot of your videos again.

I have a new appreciation for the powerful way you hit the bag.

I had been doing what I would call tap-tap finesse moves. I would hit nonstop for hours. I have got back into giving the bag a good beating now. I find it challenging to keep it going steady, hard, and fast, for 3 minutes.

Numb shoulders, cramped up biceps, working up a sweat in the cold garage, it feels good. I really feel like I am moving forward, and getting to be a harder hitter every day.

I am enjoying the speed bag more than ever!

Thank you for the advice!!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Jake View Post
          Thanks for posting these videos Alan.

Since you suggested I get more physical with the bag, I have been doing that, and watching a lot of your videos again.

I have a new appreciation for the powerful way you hit the bag.

I had been doing what I would call tap-tap finesse moves. I would hit nonstop for hours. I have got back into giving the bag a good beating now. I find it challenging to keep it going steady, hard, and fast, for 3 minutes.

Numb shoulders, cramped up biceps, working up a sweat in the cold garage, it feels good. I really feel like I am moving forward, and getting to be a harder hitter every day.

I am enjoying the speed bag more than ever!

Thank you for the advice!!
          You're right. 3 minutes of hard charging non-stop bagging is a physical challenge. To make it harder, get your self a metronome or steady beat and try to keep up with it. Punch ONE the drum beat in a basic triplet rhythm, which will be three rebounds between punch.

Make and MP3 or whatever and listen to them while you punch.

Start with 140 BPM

than maybe 170 BPM

then jump on up to 200BPM

Try these speeds with different sizes bags. It's much easier on a small 8x5 and very challenging on a larger 10x7.

Of course there are other speeds to try also.

Good luck.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• deano
            Australia's Elbow Wizard

• Jun 2009

good to see the king put up some great clips,with most of them close to being in time with the music,much more impressive to be present and see him punch,and theres only 2weeks between a good haircut and a bad[bustin loose].I should know, I've had the sit down and shut up hair cut to for the last 25yrs, she's only got 1 style,put up some more clips AK,long overdue,take it easy mate .deano

Comment

• Jake
              • Mar 2011

Hey Alan,

I think what you are describing is pretty much what I have been doing. Punching in triplet rhythm. No linking, no 4-way elbows. Lots of FDP, with a little O-DES and O-TES. I'm doing other stuff too, but mostly getting back to basics.

I find I can usually go several different speeds in almost any song. I just got done doing a good hour of pretty steady hard punching. I slow it down a little here and there to rest. I just basically try and keep that triplet rhythm going at a good pace, and then take off hitting as fast and hard as I can for a stretch here and there.

A Kung Fu friend of mine stopped by yesterday. We always do some sparring. He showed me how the upward motion of a downward elbow is a great strike, if you find yourself in close. I guess I never thought of that. A downward elbow strike can really strike twice.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by deano View Post
                good to see the king put up some great clips,with most of them close to being in time with the music,much more impressive to be present and see him punch,and theres only 2weeks between a good haircut and a bad[bustin loose].I should know, I've had the sit down and shut up hair cut to for the last 25yrs, she's only got 1 style,put up some more clips AK,long overdue,take it easy mate .deano
                Hey Deano,

Ha! glad you like my "doo" in Bustin' Loose. Never get a haircut when your barber's drunk. Oh well....

Need to come down there and get a "Roo Doo" if you know what I mean!

Good hearing from ya! Lots of fond memories of you and Dad!.
                Attached Files
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• PunchDrummer
                  • Jan 2012

Now I can see and appreciate some of your finer details.
                  The “bump” in the f-roll in “Rise” (approx.. 1:51) and “Rhythm of the Night”, slowing the tempo quickly with basic rhythm and extended arms, and some other hidden gems. I don’t know if everyone is like this, but I couldn’t really “see” the subtleties until practice helped slow things down.

Pure GOLD.
                  Thank you!
                  K

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by PunchDrummer View Post
                    Now I can see and appreciate some of your finer details.
                    The “bump” in the f-rollin “Rise” (approx.. 1:51) and “Rhythm of the Night”, slowing the tempo quickly with basic rhythm and extended arms, and some other hidden gems. I don’t know if everyone is like this, but I couldn’t really “see” the subtleties until practice helped slow things down.

Pure GOLD.
                    Thank you!
                    K
                    Yes, I like that little Bump or stutter in the bag beat. It adds just a bit of accent variation to the bag sound and can be used pretty much anywhere, however you can "envision" doing it in two ways.

First is by double bumping the bag off each hand in the F-Roll, (once for each fist, then out for a 5 beat pattern. you can continue for a 7 or 9 beat pattern also). I don't see it this way, for I'm not that controlled at double bumping the individual fists.

Second, and the way I envision it, is by doing an "advanced Front Double Punching" combo, which is Several FDP's with only one rebound inbetween instead of three. My head and hands always look for the common technique in any movement or beat pattern, and seeing it as FDP ' FDP. I also learned it this way because I first started using it from doing continuous FDP ' ' ' FDP combo for a few measures, than for a little beat variety through in one or two advance FDP combo's...... and my hands just did that same thing (FDP), just faster. Later I started throwing it into the F-Roll and also after Outward Triple Elbow Strikes. (after the lead elbow hits, you have a front double punch left, and that can act as your first FDP)

Either way it's pretty simple to do in mid to slow songs on a larger bag once you feel the sound pattern it makes.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• wirelesssolutionsny
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • Feb 2012

More Punching Drumming Clips

thanks for posting more Punching Drumming Clips,i was see it, really i like it. its really very nice and interesting....

Comment

• ebozyn
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Oct 2010

HOLY $*^#! Is this guy for real? Wireless Solutions NY? Could Be Lame to the excrement. To the excretion even.

Originally posted by wirelesssolutionsny View Post
                        thanks for posting more Punching Drumming Clips,i was see it, really i like it. its really very nice and interesting....

Comment

• dragonfly20042
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Feb 2012

Hitting to Music

I'm very new to the speed bag game and so far, I'm addicted. I hope to someday be able to hit to music...Ms Deville is my inspiration!

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by dragonfly20042 View Post
                            I'm very new to the speed bag game and so far, I'm addicted. I hope to someday be able to hit to music...Ms Deville is my inspiration!
                            Welcome, dragonfly. Thanks so much for the nice comment. (And thanks also to Ralph. ) I amaze myself with my dedication to this hobby. I have been dog- and house-sitting for my son for the past 4 days and I am having withdrawals! I found myself "air punching" last night!

It truly is an addiction for me. I think I actually get cranky with Trainer Raul when I can't get outside to punch every night...

I hope your addiction never wanes.

Yes,
                            I am
                            a bagaholic.
                            Last edited by MsDeville; 02-23-2012, 11:37 AM. Reason: additional comment
                            sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                            I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...