X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Devillle and Men At Work "Down Under"

I've been wanting to punch to a song by this group for a while (most of the members should remember this hit)...
    I kept up with it for most of the song, but faltered several times in the second half – check out the "helicopter" around 3:00 minutes in – and ran out of steam in the last minute of the song. .

After working with the little Title bag for the past several weeks, I felt like I needed to build up my strength... Went out Saturday night and played some vintage Lee Michaels (from 1970) using the red Everlast bag.

This isn't my favorite song by Michaels, but, it's very rhythmic and bluesy...I find that it's a good song to punch along with. Let me know what you think.

Last edited by MsDeville; 08-16-2010, 02:54 PM. Reason: Added a new video clip...
    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Wow! You are becoming quite the punch drummer, that was fantastic D.

Comment

• Biff
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Nice Dee. Looks and sounds mighty fine!

Comment

• juxt
        Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

good job. sounds on point

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Dee, you are becoming more and more awesome with each post! You are "locking in" better each time. Look at your first vid post and look at this one. Didn't think you'd be baggin' like this, did you. Haha. Fantastic baggin'! Your time under the board is showing. Great job.
          T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• Roc Stone
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2007

Good stuff! You did'nt miss a beat
            sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• paranday
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Sep 2009

Men At Work is fine, it is also a whole lot of joy to watch a woman at work, after the long hours of work you did over this past year. And where will you be next year at this time? Can't wait to find out.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Thanks!

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                Wow! You are becoming quite the punch drummer, that was fantastic D.
                Thanks, Tim. And thanks for posting videos from which I (and others) can watch and learn! I gotta work on those Outward Double Elbow Strike (O-DES) that you demonstrate on your YT channel.

Originally posted by Biff View Post
                Nice Dee. Looks and sounds mighty fine!
                Thanks, Bif. Hey, if you ever decide to drop in "Down Under" to visit Deano, Ted, and Roc, let me know. Maybe we can get a bunch of us together and get a group rate to Australia! Now, that would be a blast, wouldn't it?!

Originally posted by juxt View Post
                good job. sounds on point
                Thanks juxt! If I recall, you do some great high-punching on the bag. When you gonna post some video again on YT?

Originally posted by TJ_MaTee View Post
                Dee, you are becoming more and more awesome with each post! You are "locking in" better each time. Look at your first vid post and look at this one. Didn't think you'd be baggin' like this, did you. Haha. Fantastic baggin'! Your time under the board is showing. Great job.
                Tj, I had no idea when I started bagging that I would become so dedicated to this. I'm lovin' it! And, I have gained such an appreciation for drummers.
                You guys R O C K ! !

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
                Good stuff! You did'nt miss a beat
                Thanks, Roc. Love this tune...But, maybe you can help me out. In the lyrics I think he says "where beer does flow and men chunder..." what does chunder mean?

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                Men At Work is fine, it is also a whole lot of joy to watch a woman at work, after the long hours of work you did over this past year.
                Yes indeed. Lots and lots (and LOTS) of hours under the board – through winter freezes and summer heatwaves. Nothin' can stop me!
                I'm so fortunate to be able to have the freedom and time for this. (I'm lucky that "Trainer Raul" can cook! Otherwise, he'd probably be subsisting on peanut butter sandwiches... )

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                ...And where will you be next year at this time? Can't wait to find out.
                Well, after attending SpeedB.A.G. 2011, I might run away and join a vaudeville act... oh yeah. There aren't any... Okay.

So maybe the circus... you gotta love those Carnies...http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlSKaDzbQN0

Thank you everyone for your positive comments.
                sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
                I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Biff
                  Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Originally posted by MsDeville
                  Thanks, Bif. Hey, if you ever decide to drop in "Down Under" to visit Deano, Ted, and Roc, let me know. Maybe we can get a bunch of us together and get a group rate to Australia! Now, that would be a blast, wouldn't it?!
                  Dee, preliminary plans are already being made. Mrs. Biff and I hope to retire in July of 2012; we are looking at visiting Deano (and family), Ted, and Roc, along with visiting a lot of "Oz" in January 2013.

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                    I've been wanting to punch to a song by this group for a while (most of the members should remember this hit)...
                    I kept up with it for most of the song, but faltered several times in the second half – check out the "helicopter" around 3:00 minutes in – and ran out of steam in the last minute of the song. .

After working with the little Title bag for the past several weeks, I felt like I needed to build up my strength... Went out Saturday night and played some vintage Lee Michaels (from 1970) using the red Everlast bag.

This isn't my favorite song by Michaels, but, it's very rhythmic and bluesy...I find that it's a good song to punch along with. Let me know what you think.

Both tunes are an awesome display of straight time punch drumming. Dead on beat with FSP, FCP, FDP, F-Roll, RSP, I-DES, O-DES, D-DES single fist passing and fantastic split fist and double split fist combinations. I can tell you are really hearing the bag beat to the song, gaining the fist control to sync your beat speed to the music and mixing in various single and double fists combinations, as well as an some elbows. The key is: you were dead on beat with almost every single punch. Holding a certain combo for four or six repetitions really does let the listener hear how the bag beat matches the music. You're making great progress. Very impressive.

OK, now for a more detailed review. I notice when you do a Front Double Punch (FDP) and then pass a single fist behind (RSP) for the combo of FDP ' ' RSP, you are always passing the lead fist of the FDP. That is OK, but I suggest mixing it up and letting the second fist pass through. Otherwise you may become limited to always passing the lead fist through. It will not make any difference in your punching sound, for it will still be FDP ' ' RSP, but just a different fist order. I like how you go to split fist combo from this: FDP ' ' RSP ' ' FCP ' ' RSP.... Very nicely done - especially keeping it "on beat".

When you are doing continous FDP ' ' ' FDP... combinations you can easily make this "double beat" combo a triple beat combo by adding the outward elbow in front of the FDP, making it an Outward-Triple Elbow Strike combination
                    (O-TES) ' ' ' (O-TES). You will have to hit a bit harder to put the last fist on the beat, but it will add a bit of variety for you. Easy to do on the Lee Michael song too, for it's pretty slow. Look at you from 1:20 - 1:40 you did 28 double beat punches, (17 FDP in a row, then a mix of Double Elbows and FDP). You could easily mix in a few O-TES ' ' ' O-TES combinations in there for a bit more shoulder and power training. You will need to hit harder to the O-TES's and get the 2 extra rebounds into the same time interval of the beat.

Now you could also go a bit slower and add RDP and SDP into this mix. Consider the above section of 1:20 - 1:40 and the fact that you did 17 double punches from the front of the bag, and each combo had 3 rebounds in between because you hit continously from the front (same side). NOW if you add double fist pass througths (FDP ' ' RDP) you will still be continuous double punching but from different sides of the bag. Your double beat accents will stay the same, but your punching speed will need to slow down because you only need 2 rebounds instead of 3. instead of Doing:
                    FDP ' ' ' FDP ' ' ' FDP ' ' ' FDP, you can do FDP ' ' RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SDP... just as easily by simply punching a bit slower. You will still keep your second fist ONE the beat, but it will take less rebounds to do it in FDP ' ' RDP.
                    You can also use the FDP ' ' RDP...combo for a jump to double time double fists passing but You'll have to be able to jump on the afterburners, particularly with a larger bag.

You got straight time punching down pretty well with double punching and single fist passing. Now add in the double fist passing and triple elbows. Then your ready to go to syncopated combinations, which will add a whole lot more possibilities for these two songs. You CAN do it, Dee! you are making great progress.
                    Last edited by Speedbag; 09-07-2010, 10:55 PM.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                      Both tunes are an awesome display of straight time punch drumming. Dead on beat with FSP, FCP, FDP, F-Roll, RSP, I-DES, O-DES, D-DES single fist passing and fantastic split fist and double split fist combinations. I can tell you are really hearing the bag beat to the song, gaining the fist control to sync your beat speed to the music and mixing in various single and double fists combinations, as well as an some elbows. The key is: you were dead on beat with almost every single punch. Holding a certain combo for four or six repetitions really does let the listener hear how the bag beat matches the music. You're making great progress. Very impressive.
                      Thanks, Alan! It's coming to me more easily with each passing week, it seems... Now, if I could just understand Speedbagese – or, speed bag shorthand! I think I've said before that I am an illiterate speed bag puncher. (I had an aunt who could play the piano "by ear." Don't know if she could ever read sheet music...)

I know most of the names of the punches that I do, but I'm bad at deciphering the code. Can you tell me what a couple of the abbreviations are? Such as, FCP, and SDP. (Forgive my ignorance.)

OK, now for a more detailed review. I notice when you do a Front Double Punch (FDP) and then pass a single fist behind (RSP) for the combo of FDP ' ' RSP, you are always passing the lead fist of the FDP. That is OK, but I suggest mixing it up and letting the second fist pass through. Otherwise you may become limited to always passing the lead fist through. It will not make and difference in your punching sound, for it will still be FDP ' ' RSP, but just a different fist order. I like how you go to split fist combo from this: FDP ' ' RSP ' ' FCP ' ' RSP.... Very nicely done - especially keeping it "on beat".

When you are doing continous FDP ' ' ' FDP... combinations you can easily make this "double beat" combo a triple beat combo by adding the outward elbow in front of the FDP, making it an Outward-Triple Elbow Strike combination (O-TES) ' ' ' (O-TES). You will have to hit a bit harder to put the last fist on the beat, but it will add a bit of variety for you. Easy to do on the Lee Michael song too, for it's pretty slow. Look at you from 1:20 - 1:40 you did 28 double beat punches, (17 FDP in a row, then a mix of Double Elbows and FDP). You could easily mix in a few O-TES ' ' ' O-TES combinations in there for a bit more shoulder and power training. You will need to hit harder to the O-TES's and get the 2 extra rebounds into the same time interval of the beat.

Now you could also go a bit slower and add RDP and SDP into this mix. Consider the above section of 1:20 - 1:40 and the fact that you did 17 double punches from the front of the bag, and each combo had 3 rebounds in between because you hit continously from the front (same side). NOW if you add double fist pass througths (FDP ' ' RDP) you will still be continuous double punching but from different sides of the bag. Your double beat accents will stay the same, but your punching speed will need to slow down because you only need 2 rebounds instead of 3. instead of Doing:
                      FDP ' ' ' FDP ' ' ' FDP ' ' ' FDP, you can do FDP ' ' RDP ' ' SDP ' ' SDP... just as easily by simply punching a bit slower. You will still keep your second fist ONE the beat, but it will take less rebounds to do it in FDP ' ' RDP.

You can also use the FDP ' ' RDP...combo for a jump to double time double fists passing but You'll have to be able to jump on the afterburners, particularly with a larger bag.

You got straight time punching down pretty well with double punching and single fist passing. Now add in the double fist passing and triple elbows. Then your ready to go to syncopated combinations, which will add a whole lot more possibilities for these two songs. You CAN do it, Dee! You are making great progress.
                      Thanks for these suggestions. Yes, these combos will give me a lot more variety... I guess I have some drills to do... I'll need to practice these combos till they're second nature... 'cause once I get in that groove when punching to a particular song, I kind of go on "auto-pilot." ...it's usually a split-second decision for me.

And thanks for having faith in me, Alan. But, how can I go wrong, with the King giving me pointers! Awesome. Thanks!

I just reviewed a few of your You Tube clips on advanced combinations. These will be helpful to me while I practice:

I thought I'd post the link to the above-mentioned Thread about Page 152 of the Speed Bag Bible. I found it interesting, but over my head the first time I read it a few months back... No matter, though. Just reading dialogue and interaction among fellow baggers here on the forum is so intriguing.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I do have great faith in you! You hear the bag beat very well and have learned to improvise it very well to music. Here are some of my abbreviations with Technique names.

FCP = Front Circle Punch
                        FSP = Front Straight Punch
                        FDP = Front Double Punch
                        RSP = Reverse Single Punch
                        F-Roll = Front Fist Roll
                        R-Roll = Reverse Fist Roll
                        S-F = Split Fist
                        O-DES = Outward-Double Elbow Strike
                        O-TES = Outward-Triple Elbow Strike (outward ES +FDP)
                        D-DES = Downward-Double Elbow Strike
                        D-TES = DownOutward-Triple Elbow Strike (FDP with Downward Elbow in middle)
                        I-DES = Inward-Double Elbow Strike
                        I-TES = Inward-Triple Elbow Strike (FDP + Inward ES)
                        SSP = Side Single Punch (like a Reverse Single Punch on the side of bag)
                        SDP = Side Double Punch (lead fist front, second fist side)
                        S-TES = Side-Triple Elbow Strike (Like an O-TES, but third part is SSP, not FSP).

' ' = Two rebounds
                        ' ' ' = Three rebounds.

There are others but this is what I think you have been using. (maybe not sides...) It is the only way I have found to explain speed bag movements consistently and concisely. Kinda like sheet music. It takes a while to learn, but once you have it, you have it.

study hard!
                        Last edited by Speedbag; 08-26-2010, 10:27 PM.
                        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

I do have great faith you! You hear the bag beat very well and have learned to improvise it very well to music. Here are some of my abbreviations with Technique names.

FCP = Front Circle Punch
                          FSP = Front Straight Punch
                          FDP = Front Double Punch
                          RSP = Reverse Single Punch
                          F-Roll = Front Fist Roll
                          R-Roll = Reverse Fist Roll
                          S-F = Split Fist
                          O-DES = Outward-Double Elbow Strike
                          O-TES = Outward-Triple Elbow Strike (outward ES +FDP)
                          D-DES = Downward-Double Elbow Strike
                          D-TES = DownOutward-Triple Elbow Strike (FDP with Downward Elbow in middle)
                          I-DES = Inward-Double Elbow Strike
                          I-TES = Inward-Triple Elbow Strike (FDP + Inward ES)
                          SSP = Side Single Punch (like a Reverse Single Punch on the side of bag)
                          SDP = Side Double Punch (lead fist front, second fist side)
                          S-TES = Side-Triple Elbow Strike (Like an O-TES, but third part is SSP, not FSP).

' ' = Two rebounds
                          ' ' ' = Three rebounds.

There are others but this is what I think you have been using. (maybe not sides...) It is the only way I have found to explain speed bag movements consistently and concisely. Kinda like sheet music. It takes a while to learn, but once you have it, you have it.

study hard!

Thanks, Alan. I'll print out this list for quick reference. Regarding side punches... No, you probably won't see me doing any... I think you know how I feel about those.

Comment

• TJ_MaTee

• Nov 2009

Hey Dee, the side punches were tough to get the timing down. I think the trick was to really anticipate with the hand "doing" the side punch. In other words, if you watch Alans vid on side punches, he stresses getting the hand out in front(side) of the bag ahead of time, otherwise you'll hit it late. Once you get the concept, it's just a matter of practicing it (like every other technique). Don't give up on them. Just look at what you've learned in the last year. Hope thi didn't confuse you too much. Haha.
                            T.J. MaTEE'[/U][/U] u:

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                              Thanks, Alan. I'll print out this list for quick reference. Regarding side punches... No, you probably won't see me doing any... I think you know how I feel about those.
                              Yes, BUT - the simple truth is: If you can pass a fist from front to back, you can also past a fist from front to side. It is actually a wrist move more than anything else, and just angles your fist into a side panel of the bag rather than a front panel. Think of a Front Fist Roll, which you do beautifully. Now, (do it slow as you read....). Normally as you are rolling, your left fist hits the bag, your right fist would roll under your left, come up in front of your face, just passing over your left. The key is your fists are in Front Circle Punch Position at this point.

You right fist can easily make a Side Single Punch (SSP) at the point that your left contacts the bag. as your left contacts the bag, instead of rolling the right Fist down and under toward your chin, try to angle your right fist into a Front Straight Punch (FSP) position (twist it a bit making the little finger come toward your wrist. This will angle the thumb side of your right fist toward the bag, allowing that area (same area as a Reverse Single Punch RSP) of the fist to contact the bag. With your wrist turned the way, make a slightly inward movement across your face and you should hit the Front-Side panel of the bag making it go slightly sideways. It is a very subtle move, twisting the hand a bit for the position, (this twist also allow the lead part of the belly of the bag to miss your fist) and let your movement contact the side panel area. If you do this from a Front Fist Roll, (F-Roll) you do not have to alter your Fist Rolling elbow position. With a bit of practice you will learn to anticipate doing this and just after your right fist hits the bag in the F-Roll you will begin to angle the continuing movement just a bit out to the side as you twist your fist position. moving the fist just a bit out to the side will also give the bag a bit more room to clear that fist and expose the side panel.

1. So, now you are F-Rolling and simple angle the Right fist a bit out and twist the wrist, hitting the bag on the thumb side of your Right fist - and the bag goes sideways. Ugh oh, now what....

2. no problem. the key here is what you want to do with the left fist. You will learn to anticipate this also. as the left fist hit in the roll, (2a) you can either float it out to the side, preparing to be the second fist of a Side Double Punch (SDP) or (2b) you could pass it under the bag to be the second fist of a Side-Reverse Double Punch (S-RDP).

Written these would be:

1. (R-L-R-L)..F-Roll ' (R)-SSP

2a. (R-L-R-L)..F-Roll ' (R)-SSP ' ' (R-L)-SDP (* notice right fist hits side and returns after two rebounds to lead the SDP)

2b. (R-L-R-L)..F-Roll ' (R)-SSP ' (R-L)-S-RDP (* notice left fist passed under the bag to the Reverse position)

Using number 1: you can now easily transition from a F-Roll to SDP combinations.

F-ROLL ' SSP ' SDP ' ' SDP.....
                              (it really doesn't matter which fist goes to the SSP, it works with Right or Left)
                              Last edited by Speedbag; 08-26-2010, 10:28 PM.
                              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...