Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Billy jean r.i.p

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Billy jean r.i.p

    Its rough, its raw, the timing is all over the place and you can forget about any sequence, and it may or may not be your cup of tea but after 3 attempts I made this choice

    sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

  • #2
    The heck with MJ LONG LIVE ROC STONE!!!!!! great video!

    Comment


    • #3
      Alright Roc! Great stuff! Nearly 5 minutes of some poppin', groovin' baggin'! What kind of bag is that? Man, you are so close to being in time with the song.
      It is not a matter of speed. Sometimes you are faster than the song, and sometimes slower. If you could make the rebounds sound double the speed of the hihat, you'd be right in time.
      (The hihat sound is the high pitched "chippy" sound which is double the speed of the bass drum and snare that propel the beat of the song.) If your bag sound double the speed of the hihat, and stays there, you are punching 16th notes. Try a fast fist roll while punching at that speed to hear how it sounds and then break off into other punches yet keep the rebound rate exactly the same.
      BAG ON!

      Comment


      • #4
        Thanks guys, appreciate the comments.

        Being the 1st time, it wasn't exactly easy punching in a dinner jacket, which I must remember next time I go to a board meeting.

        I have been trying to make something out of this song for a little while, but wondered what sort of response I'd get.

        The artist is a name I've grown up with, whilst never being a major fan I've always had an admiration and the song always has been and always will be a classic. So what better time to punch this song up.

        I do know the hihat. I stuffed the timing up from the outset on the intro and openned up on my featured lik 1 beat to early and was unable to recover. Maybe next time.

        The bag is a Grant 9x6
        Last edited by Roc Stone; 06-26-2009, 06:46 AM.
        sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

        Comment


        • #5
          Spinsmashpop is right, sometimes you're a bit fast, sometimes a bit slow. some combo's really fit the beat really well. This is the pure fun of the speed bag, just grooving to music. You may be on or off beat a little but so what? You're feeling the beat and having fun being creative, trying to manipulate bag and beat in time. It's a lot of fun and you do a great job, Roc.

          Considering MJ, I love his music and talent, and a lot of his music is great for punching drumming. I have punched many times to all those that are danceable. Some tunes are really great punchdrumming themes, such as "Don't stop 'til you get enough" and the most legendary for speed baggin' - "Beat it". (one of my personal punching favorites...)

          Thriller: 8:29 - 9:33. Then on to 13:33 (Ghoul dance. Great base beat and theme to punch on with. The clapping on 2 & 4 and foot steps of the dancers also help mix with the bag)

          Black & white A great syncopated beat for punching and one of my favorite music videos.

          there's a lot of other great songs to punch and dance with. Like many of the Rich and famous, he leaves a tarnished legacy, but his music and talent were par excellance, and should stand the test of time.

          Punch on ROC
          Speed Bag

          Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...


          sigpic

          The Art of the Bag

          Comment


          • #6
            Nice job, Roc. All you we're missing is a white glove and some spinning elbow moves.

            Comment


            • #7
              You need a glove man !

              Comment


              • #8
                Whoa... I thought you were the King of Pop.

                I didn't think I'll also be able to learn some moves here.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
                  Thanks guys, appreciate the comments.

                  Being the 1st time, it wasn't exactly easy punching in a dinner jacket, which I must remember next time I go to a board meeting.

                  I have been trying to make something out of this song for a little while, but wondered what sort of response I'd get.

                  The artist is a name I've grown up with, whilst never being a major fan I've always had an admiration and the song always has been and always will be a classic. So what better time to punch this song up.

                  I do know the hihat. I stuffed the timing up from the outset on the intro and openned up on my featured lik 1 beat to early and was unable to recover. Maybe next time.

                  The bag is a Grant 9x6
                  I couldn't get the "video response" option on youtube to work, so here ya go....
                  Hope ya like it....



                  This is a custom made 8x5 Ringside Bag, older teardrop shape.
                  Speed Bag

                  Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...


                  sigpic

                  The Art of the Bag

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Nice work Alan!!!

                    You're looking well.

                    Is that a fresh buzz cut?
                    sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
                      Nice work Alan!!!

                      You're looking well.

                      Is that a fresh buzz cut?
                      Oh yea. My "regular" barber just retired and I'm looking for a new one.
                      my hair is tuff to cut. Six cow licks and the sides grow straight out. My old stylist said I had "japanese hair" because it grows straight out and doesn't taper. I may have to start hitting in a hat....

                      Speed Bag

                      Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                      The Quest Continues...
                      Hoping for another Gathering...


                      sigpic

                      The Art of the Bag

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                        This is a custom made 8x5 Ringside Bag, older teardrop shape.
                        Amazing stuff, as usual. Thanks for posting that!

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          hey there...

                          Seeing the funeral of MJ...

                          I feel nothing but a little bit..sad.of course..
                          He's our King of Pop..
                          and no matter how many intrigues..
                          still he is..

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Great job AK and Roc! AK, another awesomely inspiring display of punch drumming!!!! I think I may have a go at Billie Jean. Although I wasn't a huge fan, I did dig a bunch of his tunes and you can't deny him as a performer and singer. So with 2 punch clips up of Billie Jean, we should start a "Billie Jean punch drum thread"....
                            Why not, it would be cool to see a bunch of us and our different techniques punching to Billie Jean!
                            Cmon!
                            BAG ON!!
                            Last edited by spinsmashpop; 07-22-2009, 12:40 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                              Great job AK and Roc! AK, another awesomely inspiring display of punch drumming!!!! I think I may have a go at Billie Jean. Although I wasn't a huge fan, I did dig a bunch of his tunes and you can't deny him as a performer and singer. So with 2 punch clips up of Billie Jean, we should start a "Billie Jean punch drum thread"....
                              Why not, it would be cool to see a bunch of us and our different techniques punching to Billie Jean!
                              Cmon!
                              BAG ON!!
                              OK, Bag on it! Billie Jean is pretty slow, allowing for a lot of straight time and syncopated punching riffs. Easy to make the double time jump. I'm betting you can nail it, BT. Love to see some others punch it up, and props to ROC for the dress up, which was pretty cool.
                              Speed Bag

                              Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                              The Quest Continues...
                              Hoping for another Gathering...


                              sigpic

                              The Art of the Bag

                              Comment

                              Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...
                              X