• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DizzyD
    • Jun 2020

Punch-Drumming Flamenco-Style

Had to try that tune from Nick Neblo some of you guys already had a drumming to. That flamenco-percussion and guitar is so rhythmic and fitting to the bag, awesome combination! Even though it’s not all on beat and I missed the chainsaw-finish

Hope y‘all enjoy!
  • dad
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Dec 2018

Dizzy, that was awesome, Great combinations, absolutely beautiful control and wonderful music you nailed it man. This is one I will be watching over and over again. Thank you so much for that post.

Comment

• surfingcowboy
      • May 2020

Originally posted by DizzyD View Post

Had to try that tune from Nick Neblo some of you guys already had a drumming to. That flamenco-percussion and guitar is so rhythmic and fitting to the bag, awesome combination! Even though it’s not all on beat and I missed the chainsaw-finish

Hope y‘all enjoy!
      I'm a Flamenco/Spanish Guitar fan and Bravo on the the hitting to the beat you were right on and that was Super Cool

Comment

• dad
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Dec 2018

Hey Guy's check out Jesse Cook. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dng9cSDUmuY

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by DizzyD View Post

Hope y‘all enjoy!
          Absolutely BRILLIANT! Loved the double bumping Elbows on the Out-&-In 4-ways Elbow Strikes (at :04 - .07 open) and later in mix. Never seen that one and it fit brilliantly!

Awesome to see that your into Nick Neblo tracks. I really love his work and repetitive structure of the backing tracks really let you work your bag beats. I'd have to say you have arrived at the Top Tier of Punch Drumming. You clearly "get it" and know how to control your bag beat in "syncopated combinations" as well as "straight time". I've learned a couple new combinations from you along the way.

And "DAD" is right about Jessie Cook and his music. Both Myself and Matthew Santiago (speedbagAtaraxis) love Punching to his music, and he's got a ton of it. I've posted several video's of punch drumming to his songs, and it hasn't created a copyright strike yet..

Rattle and Burn
          Punch Drumming to "Rattle & Burn" by Jesse Cook. I really love his rhythms and syncopated guitar work. It is great music for Speed Bag Punch Drumming.

BagDad
          Punch Drumming (tm) to the song "Bagdad" by Jesse Cook. This is off his album "Tempest". Got to admit, I hit to a lot of his music, which has awesome rhythms...

Closer to Madness (0 to 4:17) - & - Mario Takes a walk (at 4:18)
          Punch Drumming (TM) to Jesse Cook latin-guitar music. Incredible rhythms and melodies. His music is awesome for speed bag/punchdrumming. These are "Closer to...

MUSIC ONLY

Gravity
          Punch Drumming to the Song "Gravity" by Jesse Cook off of the album of the Same Name. His Latin-Flamenco based rhythms are great for Punch Drumming and his m...

Tempest
          Jesse Cook - Tempest Recorded Live - Paste Studio ATL - Atlanta, GAMore Jesse Cook: https://www.pastemagazine.com/search?t=Jesse+Cook&m=Video

RED
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=co_VkrhX5SY

Wednesday Night at Etric's (wierd name for a song...but there it is..)
          Late one night in 1997, I recorded a song of mine at my friend Etric’s hip downtown loft. There was no recording studio, we just set up a few mics and starte...

I'm partial to Jesse Cook, because I've been a fan since his first Album in 1995. Lucky for me, He appeared in concert in a small venue in Waco Texas just after his 3rd Album "Vertigo" came out in 1998. I went to seen him, and...in anticipation of this - I punched to five of his songs from albums... After his show (small venue... where they sign albums and sell merch after the show -
          I spent a few minutes explaining punch drumming to him and gave him a video tape I made punching to the songs from Tempest and Gravity albums. I hope he watched it, but never saw or communicated with him again. No matter- I saw him play every song off these albums. Truly amazing musician from Canada.

Albums

Tempest (1995)
          Gravity (1996)
          Vertical (1998)

Welcome to the official YouTube channel of Canadian Nouveau Flamenco Guitarist, Jesse Cook. Libre - the new album Out Now https://ffm.to/jessecooklibre If you don't already, please check out Jesse on Facebook, Instagram, and Tik Tok to keep up with him on tour around the world! __________________________ https://facebook.com/JesseCookHQ https://instagram.com/musicianjessecook https://www.tiktok.com/@jessecookofficial For more information: http://jessecook.com

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• dad
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Dec 2018

To Mr. Kahn's comments... " I'd have to say you have arrived at the Top Tier of Punch Drumming." .. I have to say without a doubt. That being said if I may, would you please pick a Jesse Cook song and interpret for us, yes I understand that I am challenging you and no one has the right to do that but your so dam good I want to see more.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by dad View Post
              To Mr. Kahn's comments... " I'd have to say you have arrived at the Top Tier of Punch Drumming." .. I have to say without a doubt. That being said if I may, would you please pick a Jesse Cook song and interpret for us, yes I understand that I am challenging you and no one has the right to do that but your so dam good I want to see more.

I'm not really sure what you are asking.... You are challenging me to "do what" exactly? Picking any song, Jesse Cook (great choices) or any other song to "interpret for us" is confusing. All I would do is hit to it and explain what I'm doing. I can assure you that Dizzy D can also do the same thing, as he and I have communicated at length about Punch Drumming and "how to write the combinations" that one is doing. As can Matthew Santiago (speedbagataraxis). My interpretation or "performance of punch drumming" to a song would certainly be different than theirs, as we all "hear and feel" the bag beat, and combinations we choose to create that, differently. the only way to judge the "interpretation" is which one you like to watch or listen to better. Which to me is normal. I have some drummers I love to watch and listen to play solo's....and others not so much as they way they construct their drum solo is not as pleasing to my ear. That does not mean one is "better" than the other.... they just play differently.

But I can explain what I mean by "a Top Tier Punch Drummer". To me that is simple: Working the bag beat specifically to match the music and staying "ON-BEAT" for all or most of the song. Anyone can punch a speed bag "to a song" and be "on-beat" occasionally. There are times when their bag beat will match the song but it becomes evident "to me"... that they are most likely not doing it on purpose, or they clearly "get lost" in some fancy speed bag combination which bag beat does NOT match the rhythm or the song. Every speed bag combination has it's own accent patterns, ... and the "top tier" punch drummers know it and use it. ON PURPOSE, not by accident. For me, fortunately or unfortunately, I can tell pretty quickly if someone actually feels what he's doing and can interpret his/her bag beat "IN TIME" to a song, on purpose. Dizzy clearly stayed "on beat", with a variety of combinations for over 4 minutes, no misses in technique and, rarely, if ever - was "off beat" to the song. That is top tier punch drumming. I would have used different combinations, some that he did not use ....and he clearly (to me) is doing numerous, and brilliant, combinations that "I CAN'T DO." HIs dead-on use of double bumping elbows is not in my own bag of tricks. His, again brilliant, use of the Out-&-In 4 Ways Elbow Strikes (O-I 4 way) is far superior to mine, because I suck at Inward elbows. yeah. after 48 years, I still suck at them. and to tell the truth, I don't care because I don't much like them or use them in punch drumming. My Bad. but you can watch my 100 or so punch drumming video's and you will not see ONE of them. I know that. And I love his use of them, as well as Matthew, who is killer on all elbow strikes.

I also will say that some of the "top tier speed baggers" are NOT top tier punch drummers. There is a world of difference to me, and if the best 5 or 6 baggers in the world throw unbelievably fast and complex combinations, non-stop for 4 minutes to song, mostly OFF beat, I will say they are a top tier bagger, and mediocre punch drummer. I will tell you that when most of the best hit the bag to music it is clear to me "the bag" and fancy fast combo's is their main focus... not the "SONG" or staying on beat. I imagine and hope they will get better over time and they all certainly have the ability, but they need to practice more on actual beat control and less on doing fancy combinations . And many have a bag of combinations and fancy bagging moves far superior to mine, but...they are mostly off beat. Sorry. that is bagging "To" music, not "with" the music.

I have posted a few "punch drumming tutorials" of how "I" punch drum and the combinations I mainly use, on instagram as a run up to this years gathering. trying to teach the basics of "bag beat" control, at least as I feel it and teach it. I should re-edit or re-shoot them for Youtube I guess. But that is the only way I know to "interpret" what I do when I'm doing it. I'm pretty sure Dizzy D, and a few others, I might call out Joe "ZAZA" Saba, himself a top tier punch drummer also, because he has a similar but larger bag of tricks than me. We all stay on beat, differently - If that makes sense. not sure this helps but it is how I see it.
              Last edited by Speedbag; 08-11-2021, 09:20 PM.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• dad
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Dec 2018

Sorry for the confusion Alan, what I was doing ( in my awkward round about way) was asking DizzyD to pick a Jesse Cook song and interpret for us. I do understand that hitting the bag with a great deal of speed and great accuracy is noting like punching to music. When I watch and listen to you, Matthew and ZAZA I can never tell if the beat is on the track of music or from the bag and watching DizzyD was the same way. I understand this isn't something you just walk up to a bag and put together it that takes so much practice but watching you guy's do this with what seems to be without effort is truly amazing. Bottom line is I just wanted to see more of DizzyD. I apologizes to DizzyD if I have put him spot.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Sorry for the confusion Alan, what I was doing ( in my awkward round about way) was asking DizzyD to pick a Jesse Cook song and interpret for us. I do understand that hitting the bag with a great deal of speed and great accuracy is noting like punching to music. When I watch and listen to you, Matthew and ZAZA I can never tell if the beat is on the track of music or from the bag and watching DizzyD was the same way. I understand this isn't something you just walk up to a bag and put together it that takes so much practice but watching you guy's do this with what seems to be without effort is truly amazing. Bottom line is I just wanted to see more of DizzyD. I apologizes to DizzyD if I have put him spot.
                  No problem. I was just trying to answer. It does take a while to "hear the bag beat" in your head to any song, and reproduce those sounds on the bag immediately during the song, but it does get easier when you do it a lot. First, and for most is knowing the sounds and beat patterns from any position around the bag. That is kind of why I wrote chapter 11 in the book (echo combinations) to present that concept and some of my favorites. Once a bagger understands that, I personally believe Punch Drumming is much easier.

Bottom line is I just wanted to see more of DizzyD.
                  I hear that. I love watching him perform, and learn something every time he posts. He is a phenomenal. I know he is facing the same issue we all do, as social media cracks down on using copyrighted material. There's tons of great songs to punch to, but you risk getting a copy right strike, and youtube will delete your channel on your 3rd "strike". Most of the time YT sends you a message of using copyrighted material but "it's ok" - the owner will run ads during your video. But you never know that before posting, so there is a risk.

That is why I have stopped posting a lot and also changed my choices to open source music or purchase of backing tracks, such as Nick Neblo. His tracks are pretty inexpensive and great choices. https://www.youtube.com/c/NickNeblo/videos https://nickneblo.com/my-backing-tracks-policy/

For the record, I've never got an official "ding" or "strike" against Jesse Cook music. However that can change if the owners policy changes.

#KeepPunching

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• DizzyD
                    • Jun 2020

Ohhhh man! You guys are awesome! Thank you for your feedback! So great that you all enjoy watching my vid as I did while drumming.

After recording this punch-drumming, I really had some bad weeks. Work is killing me, my health isn’t on a level that I feel good and nearly everything sucks right now. I also didn’t have much time on the bag, and that for itself isn’t good. Bagging is what gets me grounded. The day couldn’t be worse, 30min under the board, hearing music, punching to the beat or just freestyle and I’m a completely new person. When this isn’t possible, everything is bad and getting even worse. Especially now that I’m on that point it feels good that there are a few people out there who like this stuff as I do.

I got hooked on that Nick Neblo tracks by your drumming Alan. Most of my music-inspiration I take from other baggers. And it’s the same with the punch-drumming techniques. Alan encouraged me at the beginning just to try, easy and steady to the beat with simple tripple-beat punches. And then there was a time while I was studying several punch-drumming from Joe Saba when it hit me, and I for the first time had the feeling to be on beat while using double-punches and combinating them with singles. After that point it all had a flow and made sense.

I was so thrilled that Joe liked the idea of doing a punch-drumming duet lately (Walk this way, also published here in the forum). And I have learned a lot in this project. Joe was the first one who I had seen throw the double-bump-elbows on beat. But he used them as a starter in a phantom-fsp-combo (look at the video „punch-drumming-duet“ at about 2:02 and 2:08 he uses that technique, and he’s ending it with that hammer-elbow, beautiful! - the real hard task is to stay on beat after that move!). It really made sense to try that with the chainsaw (O-I 4 way), cause - and that I realized then - the first ODES needs a second bump to get the full combo on beat. Didn’t realize that until I saw Joe doing his move.

The long videos take some time. I tried this one starting in June, and I couldn’t get a version over the distance. I quit and took a holiday break with the family during July. I came back under the board and the third try was the video you saw here. I do often have an uncountable number of tries. And that is after I had numerous times of listening, trying different combos, etc. It’s a journey to create these drummings. So that’s not comparable to the skills of the punch-drumming-pros line Alan, Joe and Matthew.

I now started to working on a new song, a heavier one. But when I’m finished with it, I can give Jesse Cook a try. No worries for asking Dad. I feel honored that you asked and I’d really like to give it a try.

Thank you all!

Comment

• dad
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Dec 2018

Looking forward to it. Please remember that there is no time table here the quality of your drumming is far more important and like Alan said " I'd have to say you have arrived at the Top Tier of Punch Drumming." that is something that is undisputable. I've spent many year watch Alan, Matthew and Joe work their magic with the bag and I have to say with all sincerity DizzyD you are running with the big dog now.

Comment

• Zaza
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2011

You ROCK the bag & the beat!! A total natural to Punchdrumming...great job and something I can watch everyday!! Cheers Dizzy D!
                        (we need to work on a new duet soon....)
                        Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• DizzyD
                          • Jun 2020

Everytime Joe! Looking forward to it!

Comment

• rossjulie
                            Speed Bag Trainee
                            • Sep 2021

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                            You ROCK the bag & the beat!! A total natural to Punchdrumming...great job and something I can watch everyday!! Cheers Dizzy D!
                            (we need to work on a new duet soon....)
                            It's brilliant
                            Last edited by rossjulie; 02-08-2022, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...