• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Noiseless Punching Bag for Apartments - 1923

Maybe a worthwhile idea here for attaching a platform to a door frame. From the January 1923 Popular Mechanics, and the June 1923 Popular Science magazines.
    Attached Files
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by paranday View Post
    Maybe a worthwhile idea here for attaching a platform to a door frame. From the January 1923 Popular Mechanics, and the June 1923 Popular Science magazines.
    Have to love that outward elbow striking position also...
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kallidoraknox
      • Feb 2014

Shhhhhh.....

Sooooooo....does anyone use a speed bag in their apartment? I would love to build a speed bag set up in my apartment but I'm pretty sure my neighbors would riot in the streets. Just wondering if anyone knows if there's a quieter platform set up on the market. Thanks!!

Comment

• swfl
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2013

My current home is a condo. People below me and on one side. I mounted mine to the outside concrete wall. The neighbors below can hear me but are pretty cool about it. 9pm is the end of my punching day. The neighbors on the one side cant hear it at all. Good thing is the snowbirds are leaving in a couple of weeks and the building will be vacant. Hitting before bed is my favorite time. Good luck and hit soft

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

I currently live in an apartment (this one for fifteen years now). I use a modified Ringside free standing speed bag stand from the late 1980's. Not a perfect solution but it's works and I've yet to get a complaint. Then again my neighbors crank up their stereos to the point that I can just hit to that and no one is the wiser....

Comment

• Kallidoraknox
            • Feb 2014

Thanks for the input! My apartment building is an Tudor style building dating back 100ish years so a free standing platform might be my only option. Thanks again.

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

Originally posted by Kallidoraknox View Post
              Thanks for the input! My apartment building is an Tudor style building dating back 100ish years so a free standing platform might be my only option. Thanks again.
              Watch the 'speedbag4life' (Lisa) segment in the film....she built a free-standing speed bag cage. I know Tim Platt has one two. Might be a good option?
              It would also let you mount a vertical platform!

...and who knows what other creative uses a cage might offer...
              Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
              http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Dutchman
                Speed Bag Historian
                • Jun 2006

A cage setup is definitely preferable to just about any of the commercially available free standing stands. There are couple of commercial models out there, but they are pricey. If you are handy with hand tools (or know someone who is) you can fabricate a cage out of 4x4's. In the past cages built out of steel pipe were not uncommon.

Comment

• Zaza
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2011

I have an idea for making a platform with a surface of bungee cord...kind of like a tennis racquet (I remember seeing an old advertisement for one?). Could be totally silent!

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                    I have an idea for making a platform with a surface of bungee cord...kind of like a tennis racquet (I remember seeing an old advertisement for one?). Could be totally silent!
                    I think that would be cool. Booing.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Kallidoraknox
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                      A cage setup is definitely preferable to just about any of the commercially available free standing stands. There are couple of commercial models out there, but they are pricey. If you are handy with hand tools (or know someone who is) you can fabricate a cage out of 4x4's. In the past cages built out of steel pipe were not uncommon.

Yeah, I am pretty good with tools. A steel pipe cage sounds kinda awesome. Very "Welcome To The Thunderdome." Ha. Although wood might be more zen-like. Thanks e everyone for the advice, I'll look into it for sure.

Comment

• Zaza
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2011

Here's the one I really liked...he has the plans and all!

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...