Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Goldsmith platforms and speed bags

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Goldsmith platforms and speed bags

    Here's an auction for a vintage ad, seller says 1890s,

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-1890...item20cbcb5285
    Attached Files

  • #2
    Originally posted by paranday View Post
    Here's an auction for a vintage ad, seller says 1890s,

    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-1890...item20cbcb5285
    that Looks like a vintage rebound ring version of the "Dingle Ball", demonstrated here beautifully by The Punch Professor.
    (pretty cool outdoor workout facility, hidden in florida...)




    Sort of like a loose double end bag without the bottom bungee.
    Speed Bag

    Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...


    sigpic

    The Art of the Bag

    Comment


    • #3
      Why are the gloves filled with hair?

      Comment


      • #4
        I've got a tetherball suspended from a high branch of a perfect old tree (smooth bark) so it hangs a few feet away from the trunk. I go for bounces off the trunk, but I'd love to have a platform like that, and a big dingle bag like that (although I understand that with age, come large dingle bags - so watch what you wish for or you may be sitting on them eventually) .
        My tetherball is a fantastic compliment to the speed bag - accuracy and timing required, you just get a little more room to play and practice footwork.

        Punch Professor’s videos are great to watch (gotta' love his camp, reminds me a little of SpeedBagSkunk's BarStarzz and EverLast camp(s).
        Lately, Paulie D. (PP) has been explaining his unique equipment and techniques - and he's got a great presentation. He's a nice guy too - even gave me some encouragement on a few of my vids.




        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi-UQD-7efQ

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by SpeedbagSharkface View Post
          Why are the gloves filled with hair?
          Horse hair was used in not only boxing gloves but it was used in most upholstery applications. It didn't bunch up or break down like cotton or wool packing did. Remember there wasn't any foam rubber of any kind then, and there was a lot of horse hair available really cheap.

          Comment


          • #6
            Thanks for the info.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by PunchDrummer View Post
              I've got a tetherball suspended from a high branch of a perfect old tree (smooth bark) so it hangs a few feet away from the trunk. I go for bounces off the trunk, but I'd love to have a platform like that, and a big dingle bag like that (although I understand that with age, come large dingle bags - so watch what you wish for or you may be sitting on them eventually) .
              My tetherball is a fantastic compliment to the speed bag - accuracy and timing required, you just get a little more room to play and practice footwork.

              Punch Professor’s videos are great to watch (gotta' love his camp, reminds me a little of SpeedBagSkunk's BarStarzz and EverLast camp(s).
              Lately, Paulie D. (PP) has been explaining his unique equipment and techniques - and he's got a great presentation. He's a nice guy too - even gave me some encouragement on a few of my vids.




              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi-UQD-7efQ
              Absolutely right. Paulie D is really an amazing guy and has my utmost respect. A true devotee of bag training and those that use them. I have spoken to him several times and he is absolutely the real deal. I'd definitely love to spend some time at his unique training facility. I love his video to. Great enthusiasm.
              Speed Bag

              Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...


              sigpic

              The Art of the Bag

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by paranday View Post
                Here's an auction for a vintage ad, seller says 1890s,

                http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-1890...item20cbcb5285
                I wonder what the back story is about the history and transitions of the "rebound ring" to the solid rebound board. Wonder which came first, the chicken or the egg. I suspect I know why, but I'd love to hear the real story about that. Rebound rings have always been around and in vogue for certain groups. The main drawback I see is their inability to accomodate smaller bags whose belly don't reach the ring.
                Speed Bag

                Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...


                sigpic

                The Art of the Bag

                Comment


                • #9
                  I really believe that the rebound ring was developed for the home market. During this era most people bought items through one of the major catalog companies, or in some cases directly from the manufacturer.Sporting goods stores were only found in the largest cities for quite some time. These setups weighed considerably less than ones with a solid platform, thus dramatically reducing the cost of shipping. It wasn't good if it cost more to ship an item than what the item itself cost. These would have been sent more than likely via either the US Post Office, or more than likely Railway Express Agency. The latter was more expensive but usually quicker (sound familiar?).

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    ship where?

                    "It wasn't good if it cost more to ship an item than what the item itself cost. These would have been sent more than likely via either the US Post Office, or more than likely Railway Express Agency. The latter was more expensive but usually quicker (sound familiar?)."--all to familiar in our case--grins dd
                    the difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has limitations

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                      I really believe that the rebound ring was developed for the home market. During this era most people bought items through one of the major catalog companies, or in some cases directly from the manufacturer.Sporting goods stores were only found in the largest cities for quite some time. These setups weighed considerably less than ones with a solid platform, thus dramatically reducing the cost of shipping. It wasn't good if it cost more to ship an item than what the item itself cost. These would have been sent more than likely via either the US Post Office, or more than likely Railway Express Agency. The latter was more expensive but usually quicker (sound familiar?).
                      That is most likely the case now that we think about it. They would sell the whole set, Ring, swivel and bag that matches the ring size. Probably back then very few people obsessed over bag sizes, and just used the one that came with the ring, as a set. Makes perfect sense to me.
                      Speed Bag

                      Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                      The Quest Continues...
                      Hoping for another Gathering...


                      sigpic

                      The Art of the Bag

                      Comment

                      Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...
                      X