X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speedbag
    replied
    Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
    I really believe that the rebound ring was developed for the home market. During this era most people bought items through one of the major catalog companies, or in some cases directly from the manufacturer.Sporting goods stores were only found in the largest cities for quite some time. These setups weighed considerably less than ones with a solid platform, thus dramatically reducing the cost of shipping. It wasn't good if it cost more to ship an item than what the item itself cost. These would have been sent more than likely via either the US Post Office, or more than likely Railway Express Agency. The latter was more expensive but usually quicker (sound familiar?).
    That is most likely the case now that we think about it. They would sell the whole set, Ring, swivel and bag that matches the ring size. Probably back then very few people obsessed over bag sizes, and just used the one that came with the ring, as a set. Makes perfect sense to me.

Leave a comment:

• doss darwin
    replied
    ship where?

"It wasn't good if it cost more to ship an item than what the item itself cost. These would have been sent more than likely via either the US Post Office, or more than likely Railway Express Agency. The latter was more expensive but usually quicker (sound familiar?)."--all to familiar in our case--grins dd

Leave a comment:

• Dutchman
    replied
    I really believe that the rebound ring was developed for the home market. During this era most people bought items through one of the major catalog companies, or in some cases directly from the manufacturer.Sporting goods stores were only found in the largest cities for quite some time. These setups weighed considerably less than ones with a solid platform, thus dramatically reducing the cost of shipping. It wasn't good if it cost more to ship an item than what the item itself cost. These would have been sent more than likely via either the US Post Office, or more than likely Railway Express Agency. The latter was more expensive but usually quicker (sound familiar?).

Leave a comment:

• Speedbag
    replied
    Originally posted by paranday View Post
    Here's an auction for a vintage ad, seller says 1890s,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-1890...item20cbcb5285
    I wonder what the back story is about the history and transitions of the "rebound ring" to the solid rebound board. Wonder which came first, the chicken or the egg. I suspect I know why, but I'd love to hear the real story about that. Rebound rings have always been around and in vogue for certain groups. The main drawback I see is their inability to accomodate smaller bags whose belly don't reach the ring.

Leave a comment:

• Speedbag
    replied
    Originally posted by PunchDrummer View Post
    I've got a tetherball suspended from a high branch of a perfect old tree (smooth bark) so it hangs a few feet away from the trunk. I go for bounces off the trunk, but I'd love to have a platform like that, and a big dingle bag like that (although I understand that with age, come large dingle bags - so watch what you wish for or you may be sitting on them eventually) .
    My tetherball is a fantastic compliment to the speed bag - accuracy and timing required, you just get a little more room to play and practice footwork.

Punch Professor’s videos are great to watch (gotta' love his camp, reminds me a little of SpeedBagSkunk's BarStarzz and EverLast camp(s).
    Lately, Paulie D. (PP) has been explaining his unique equipment and techniques - and he's got a great presentation. He's a nice guy too - even gave me some encouragement on a few of my vids.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zi-UQD-7efQ
    Absolutely right. Paulie D is really an amazing guy and has my utmost respect. A true devotee of bag training and those that use them. I have spoken to him several times and he is absolutely the real deal. I'd definitely love to spend some time at his unique training facility. I love his video to. Great enthusiasm.

Leave a comment:

• SpeedbagSharkface
    replied
    Thanks for the info.

Leave a comment:

• Dutchman
    replied
    Originally posted by SpeedbagSharkface View Post
    Why are the gloves filled with hair?
    Horse hair was used in not only boxing gloves but it was used in most upholstery applications. It didn't bunch up or break down like cotton or wool packing did. Remember there wasn't any foam rubber of any kind then, and there was a lot of horse hair available really cheap.

Leave a comment:

• PunchDrummer
    replied
    I've got a tetherball suspended from a high branch of a perfect old tree (smooth bark) so it hangs a few feet away from the trunk. I go for bounces off the trunk, but I'd love to have a platform like that, and a big dingle bag like that (although I understand that with age, come large dingle bags - so watch what you wish for or you may be sitting on them eventually) .
    My tetherball is a fantastic compliment to the speed bag - accuracy and timing required, you just get a little more room to play and practice footwork.

Punch Professor’s videos are great to watch (gotta' love his camp, reminds me a little of SpeedBagSkunk's BarStarzz and EverLast camp(s).
    Lately, Paulie D. (PP) has been explaining his unique equipment and techniques - and he's got a great presentation. He's a nice guy too - even gave me some encouragement on a few of my vids.

Here @ The Jungle Camp Gym Florida, in late January 2013 ~ 80 degrees light breeze ! I have been trying to reintroduce this valuable training tool back to gy...

Leave a comment:

• SpeedbagSharkface
    replied
    Why are the gloves filled with hair?

Leave a comment:

• Speedbag
    replied
    Originally posted by paranday View Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Antique-1890...item20cbcb5285
    that Looks like a vintage rebound ring version of the "Dingle Ball", demonstrated here beautifully by The Punch Professor.
    (pretty cool outdoor workout facility, hidden in florida...)

Sort of like a loose double end bag without the bottom bungee.

Leave a comment:

• paranday
    started a topic Goldsmith platforms and speed bags

Goldsmith platforms and speed bags

Attached Files
Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
Working...