No announcement yet.

"Art of the Bag" - A Speed Bag Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To all you Facebook users, Please 'like' the Art of the Bag FB Page.
    https://www.facebook.com/artofthebag
    sigpic

Comment

BIG thanks to Bag-A-Holic for his very generous donation to the film!
      sigpic

Comment

Yes! I have access to the only known footage of Doris DeGreen...and it looks great. Man, could this woman hit!

I REALLY want to buy the rights to use this, not only for the sake of the film, but for the sake of the history of the spped bag....so it doesn't get lost...BUT, it is expensive. I'm going to see if I can raise the fund (or some of them) by selling some stuff off. $1000.00 is my goal & will cover most of it...and allow me to use the footage in the film.

1940 beauty of film....

I have some banners, gloves, tee-shirts...and maybe a bag or two donated by Title Boxing that I'll be offering up here to help get the funds together for this footage...keep an eye out & help me to preserve some of the history of the speed bag we all love!
        sigpic

Comment

Man, that would be great if you can get some of this into your film.

Um, look at her swivels -- eye bolt and "shoestring" style. Good choice, Doris!
          Last edited by paranday; 01-24-2013, 12:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by paranday View Post
            Man, that would be great if you can get some of this into your film.

Um, look at her swivels -- eyehook and "shoestring" style. Good choice, Doris!
            I know....I have to save this footage...

I also have the eye hook and want to try this out. I'd LOVE to find one of those old 'swivel bases' like she used on the floor...I never see those...anywhere?
            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
              This is on 16mm? The stills look pristine, is the film in good shape?

Comment

I recall that it's 35mm. Popular Science and Unusual Occupations were produced as shorts to be shown in movie theaters. I don't think that the current owners of these films (Sheilds Pictures) has transfered any of them to 16mm, although it's possible that they are available on tape, as they were shown on American Movie Classics back in the late 1980's.

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                  I recall that it's 35mm. Popular Science and Unusual Occupations were produced as shorts to be shown in movie theaters. I don't think that the current owners of these films (Sheilds Pictures) has transfered any of them to 16mm, although it's possible that they are available on tape, as they were shown on American Movie Classics back in the late 1980's.
                  That Dutchman ...he is correct! This was originally shot on 35mm film for Paramount and Mark Shields has digitized & archived it. The grab is just from a low quality, timecoded review copy. The full-rez version should look outstanding!

I HAVE to get this footage!
                  sigpic

Comment

PM sent.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                      The full-rez version should look outstanding!
                      Wow, great!
                      Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                      I HAVE to get this footage!
                      Yes you do.

Comment

I also have the eye hook and want to try this out. I'd LOVE to find one of those old 'swivel bases' like she used on the floor...I never see those...anywhere?
                        FLASH BACK, Dec 16, 2007

http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...green#post6263

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                        k4moore
                        Speed Bag Trainee Join Date: Dec 2007

Doris DeGreen

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doris DeGreen is my grandmother, so I would be happy to relay stories of her time as a speed bag puncher. As stated previously, she was featured in Life Magazine, Popular Mechanics and a Paramount newsreel (in the Unusual Occupations series). The newsreel is available on YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_03KIDtZv9U. She also toured the country on a vauldville-like circuit.

Punching a speed bag is not that hard, but doing it well and for any duration is challenging. Add the blindfold or multiple speed bags, and it is a real skill. But, she was able to still hit a bag proficiently into her 70's.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

and I purchased an original copy of the 1933 Life Magazine she appeared in. Sitting right next to my Vaggies post card.
                        Last edited by Speedbag; 01-24-2013, 10:10 PM.
                        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                        The Quest Continues...
                        Onward to SpeedB.A.G. X! Summer 2019

THE 10th Year Reunion!

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• ^ wish you had direct contact information....I've send a PM, but no answer yet....I fear k4moore hasn't been around for quite some time.
                          sigpic

Comment

^ wish you had direct contact information....I've send a PM, but no answer yet....I fear k4moore hasn't been around for quite some time.
                            No, he is another of "the disappeared ones". I have many names and address from the past, but not his unfortunately. I don't remember the sign up process so Tim might have some insight or email address.
                            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                            The Quest Continues...
                            Onward to SpeedB.A.G. X! Summer 2019

THE 10th Year Reunion!

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• hey ZAZA, do you still have the same address ? i have something to send you...ralph

Comment

• Yes... same address.
                                sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...
                                X