• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paranday
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2009

Bag Punching, by William Annal Duncan, 1904

Here's another historic bagging book for your downloading pleasure. Mr. Duncan really put his head into his punching -- can anyone say they've mastered the 5 way technique he illustrates in the drawing below?

Nice booklet published in 1904, plenty of illustrations, plus some beefcake photos for the ladies:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KB9XJ0YP

`
    Attached Files
  • juxt
    Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

thanks for uploading. I love reading these old books. amazing combos they were doing over 100 years ago.

Comment

• Zaza
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2011

I tried the head strike once....and a few hours later, when I woke-up...figured it wasn't such a good idea.
      Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
      http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by paranday View Post
        Here's another historic bagging book for your downloading pleasure. Mr. Duncan really put his head into his punching -- can anyone say they've mastered the 5 way technique he illustrates in the drawing below?

Nice booklet published in 1904, plenty of illustrations, plus some beefcake photos for the ladies:

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=KB9XJ0YP

`
        I love this kinda stuff, but I gotta admit, I get nothing but frustrated trying to us the Megaupload site. Seems to be an endless loop of popups wanting you to buy something or "error" messages. I've already registered and it never accepts my login. I've registered several times and it takes 10+ times to get past the capta text. There has to be a better way
        Last edited by Speedbag; 10-30-2011, 06:12 PM.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ventanakaz
          LOL what's up with that guys hair. Well at least he has hair and not thinning and balding like mine :-)...ralph
          I'm thinking those shorts are a tad ....short?

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
            I love this kinda stuff, but I gotta admit, I get nothing but frustrated trying to us the Megaupload site. Seems to be an endless loop of popups wanting you to buy something or "error" messages. I've already registered and it never accepts my login. I've registered several times and it takes 10+ times to get past the capta text. There has to be a better way
            In two browsers, all I get is a 45 second "please wait" countdown on the right, then the "Regular download" button appears, and from there it downloads. No login, no registration, no capta.

What's the best site to post files?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by paranday View Post
              In two browsers, all I get is a 45 second "please wait" countdown on the right, then the "Regular download" button appears, and from there it downloads. No login, no registration, no capta.

What's the best site to post files?
              You're right, after the countdown the "regular" button showed up. Never thought of waiting for that.

thanks.
              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
                Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Great find Paranday. Did anyone see the "Elastic" platform ad? I wonder how well that worked? (Well, I guess we know since nothing of the sort has been offered since 1904)
                Attached Files

Comment

• paranday
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                  Great find Paranday. Did anyone see the "Elastic" platform ad? I wonder how well that worked? (Well, I guess we know since nothing of the sort has been offered since 1904)
                  I think someone here at the forum could fab one that does work. Wish there were round 30" tennis rackets to experiment with.

Comment

• spinsmashpop
                    Speed Bag Wizard

• Nov 2008

Originally posted by juxt View Post
                    thanks for uploading. I love reading these old books. amazing combos they were doing over 100 years ago.
                    Yes... this is awesome.... just like the footage of the Autralian bagger from around the same time...
                    I can't believe there was such a long gap from then up to ALan putting out the Bible. All these moves that are considered advanced, I thought were new... but they've been round for 100+ years....
                    BAG ON!

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by spinsmashpop View Post
                      Yes... this is awesome.... just like the footage of the Autralian bagger from around the same time...
                      I can't believe there was such a long gap from then up to ALan putting out the Bible. All these moves that are considered advanced, I thought were new... but they've been round for 100+ years....
                      BAG ON!
                      Yes, we keep finding this little gems of yesteryear. And they show some cool moves that were apparently "forgotten" in the middle. This guy clearly does what I called the Four Way In-Out Elbow Strike, and also adds a head movement into it.

He also has a very unique "behind the head" continuous punching "roll" ( or riveting fist punching) combination. He starts with what appears to be a normal Reverse Fist Roll (R-Roll) (hitting the index finger knuckle) with the palms pretty much facing down. I guess he steps though the bag, raises his arms (elbows in) so the elbows are up over the shoulders and continues punching the bag behind his head, hitting the front of his fits. I've never seen this before. (picture below)

I'm pretty sure we haven't "invented" anything new on the speed bag, we are just rediscovering some things that have already been done and were never documented,....or....the documentation was a bit primitive and lost to the ages, but little by little it is being found.
                      Attached Files
                      Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• paranday
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Sep 2009

He also has a very unique "behind the head" continuous punching "roll" ( or riveting fist punching) combination. He starts with what appears to be a normal Reverse Fist Roll (R-Roll) (hitting the index finger knuckle) with the palms pretty much facing down. I guess he steps though the bag, raises his arms (elbows in) so the elbows are up over the shoulders and continues punching the bag behind his head, hitting the front of his fits. I've never seen this before. (picture below)
                        Who here will be the first to demo that move on YouTube?

I'm pretty sure we haven't "invented" anything new on the speed bag, we are just rediscovering some things that have already been done and were never documented,....or....the documentation was a bit primitive and lost to the ages, but little by little it is being found.
                        If you look at YouTube vids from around the world, the re-discovery has not yet traveled much beyond the few mainly English speaking countries. It will happen I'll bet, just hasn't yet, but won't that day be grand.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

...i think i seen skunk do the behind the head punch in one of his videos on youtube...ralph
                          I can't find that video, but my rememberance of this was was him doing a quick fist punch behind the head (see pic's below) while punching. He showed that one along with the Reverse-Front Fist Roll in SB-I. I have no doubt he'll rip out this behind the head alternating punching combo. Like most things, it is more difficult than it looks....
                          Attached Files
                          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

...yes thats the punch i saw him do in the video on youtube and if i remember correctly he did it several times :-)...ralph
                            Perhaps, but I didn't see him do it with both hands repetitively like a fist roll. Note his body position in these pics are much different than the technique shown in the 1904 book and he is doing it on a much bigger bag.

My own attempts on any size bag have failed so far....
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                            Working...