X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Billie Bachilis - Women's Amateur Lightweight Boxing Champion

I came across this article online (in the Martial Arts Magazine called Martial History Magazine) and found it interesting.

This is a photo of Billie Bachilis taken in 1931 at Mays Department store in Los Angeles. I wonder what it must have been like... sandwiched between the sweaters and slacks...baggin' away...
    Attached Files
    sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
    I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts
  • juxt
    Speed Bag Trainee

• Jun 2010

very cool. i like seeing all the old school speed bag set ups, they all seem different and unique. i would like to see that speed bag set up in action. it looks like the platform is just a empty circle.

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

Nice Find Ms. D. The bag could be an A J Reach, the contrasting colors were more a less a trademark of theirs. rebound ring is the style that NonPeril built

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Yeah, great find D. The picture quality is excellent. Alot of the older pictures are so grainy,that one is nice and crisp.

The sign says:

The May Company

Bag Punching Exhibition

By Miss Billie Bachilis

Women's Lightweight Boxing Champion of Southern California

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

You can carry that photo around with you, MsDeville, when interviewing for a similar role at retail establishments in your region.

MsDeville

Punch-drumming Champion of the Pacific Northwest

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Something to Ponder

Originally posted by paranday View Post
            You can carry that photo around with you, MsDeville, when interviewing for a similar role at retail establishments in your region.

MsDeville

Punch-drumming Champion of the Pacific Northwest
            I like it! Hey, I wouldn't mind following in the footsteps of these female pioneers of speed bagging... although I would be getting a rather late start. How about this:

Lady DeVille
            Oldest Female Punch-Drummer in the Pacific Northwest – and the World!

(well, most likely...)
            I'm still trying to "drum up" female converts to the bag...

In all honesty, there have been lots of discussions about this with "Trainer Raul." I have entertained the thought of doing so-called "exhibitions" at the local YMCA, etc. (I am by no means near the level of expertise that one should be in order to teach... but being an exhibitionist... now that sounds intriguing – and would satisfy my proclivity towards narcissism! )

There's a new Y being built here, and I'm going to talk to the powers that be... I want to make sure that they are including a speed bag set up... and, I would be more than happy to demonstrate the basics!

sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
            I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• spdyTommyT

• Apr 2010

I like the sound of that Lady D. How about Lady Deville, The Fanciest Female Punch Drummer in NW? Good luck with your venture.
              The Speed Ball should be in every hall

Comment

• Mrs Mitts
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Feb 2010

Great pic MsD! I have to agree, discovering all this rich history and heritage with ladies so much a part of it is inspiring!

Good luck with your idea, let us know how you get on. More female speedbaggers please!

Comment

• Speedbag
                  Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
                  I came across this article online (in the Martial Arts Magazine called Martial History Magazine) and found it interesting.

This is a photo of Billie Bachilis taken in 1931 at Mays Department store in Los Angeles. I wonder what it must have been like... sandwiched between the sweaters and slacks...baggin' away...
                  This also shows the big difference between rebound "rings" vs rebound "boards".

note that if you imagine the bag being punched, the size of this bag and length of the rebound arc would make the bag contact the metal rebound ring well above the bag belly.

I copied the bag/swivel and superimposed it in a rebound position to the ring. The light blue arrow indicates the bag direction, and the while line area on top indicates the contact point, well above the bag belly (green dot/line). To me this bag is just too big for this ring. It may work but I think the bag wears better if it hits the belly on the board. A full board automatically allows the belly to make the contact. (if it's big enough)
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Speedbag; 09-06-2010, 02:15 AM.
                  Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                  *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                  The Quest Continues...
                  Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
                    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                    To me this bag is just too big for this ring. It may work but I think the bag wears better if it hits the belly on the board. A full board automatically allows the belly to make the contact. (if it's big enough)
                    She's probably thinking: "I knew I should have brought my own equipment"

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                    Working...