• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tom
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2020

Help hanging heavy bag high cieling

Hey guys i have a 20 ft high cieling in my garage and i want to hang a heavy bag on a pulley with a steel wire to where when not in use it stores away at cieling height. Any help with building this or suggestions and problems that may come up would be greatly appreciated.
    thanks in advace,
    Tom
  • Zaz
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Sep 2018

You can use a spring like this: https://www.amazon.com/Ringside-Boxi...5975992&sr=8-6

It helps reduce vibration.

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

I would think that a medium duty block and tackle would do the trick, available from any number of sources, something that can safely handle at least one and a half times the weight of your bag.

Comment

• 3dvrmonster
        • Sep 2020

Originally posted by Zaz View Post
        You can use a spring like this: https://www.amazon.com/Ringside-Boxi...5975992&sr=8-6

It helps reduce vibration.

I use a spring, and I highly recommend. With ceiling that high you will still get major swing, unless you use a super heavy bag. Block and tackle should work. This all sounds pretty dangerous though. If something goes wrong, and the bag drops from up high, splat! I mean it could kill you. Not worth it!

I'd use a dc powered winch mounted to a stud on the wall using large lag bolts. Everlast makes a heavy bag hanger to mount to joist in ceiling. I'd suggest you stand at a distance with hand control of winch to operate bag up and down. You could do this for about 100 bucks. Careful you don't wind up winch too far when bag is at ceiling it could yank the whole thing down. Many ways you could do this. Remote controlled winch with winch securely mounted to ceiling. Could just drop straight down that way. If you have attic access you could put battery and winch in attic, but you may need an rf repeater. Just some ideas.

Comment

• 3dvrmonster
          • Sep 2020

https://speedbagforum.com/forums/for...ater-heavy-bag here is my setup with an a4 buoy on a spring. I'd say it's about 150 lbs 2/3 the way full with water. Not sure your size, but I can hardly make this bag budge. The spring has it bounce nicely when I do a few uppercuts, but other than that it's just a jiggle. This bag laughs at me, and says o stop that tickles

Comment

• 3dvrmonster
            • Sep 2020

Originally posted by ventanakaz

I'm in the same boat as you, although I am by no means a carpenter, I have a bunch of 8 foot 2x4s and I have to figure out how to run them across my garage in order to hang a Muay Thai bag, and a Wrecking ball bag
            I would not hang any heavy bag with 2 x 4s. Especially 2 bags. 2 x 4s could help support a 2 x 8 to hold them, but I'd go with 2 x 10 or 2 x 12. Depends on length of board what size you need. Better to over build and it last, rather than under build and have a failure.

Only way I'd try 2 x 4 is in a corner. Put a 2 x 4 on each wall horizontally on both sides going into the corner. 8 foot on each side well above head height probably 7.5 feet high, or higher of Thai bag is long. Then use those boards as a shelf/ledger board to lay 2---- 2 x 4s across. These 2 x 4s would all be screwed together to make a sort of sandwich. I'd think this would hold 1 bag. Maybe 2 but like I say not ideal. 1----2 x 4 can hold 1000 lbs. Internet fact there, but when you do a hard hit it's weight plus you force jumping around will cause the board to break eventually. ☮️

Comment

• 3dvrmonster
              • Sep 2020

Picture of planned area would help. My fist thought is it won't work though. Not with 2 x 4s. That is a big ass span even for a 2 x 12. 2 car garage so I'd guess we are talking 20 foot span wall to wall? Is this garage empty, and not used to park cars? If it's just a garage converted to a workout room you could skip the ceiling brace, and just build a room inside a room type of thing.

One off the wall idea.. I get lots of them. You could build a type of tree with a bag on each side. I've seen them made on YouTube. It would look like a T, but on the bottom you'd have boards on floor like an X. On those boards you'd place weights or sandbags to stabilize. Having a bag on each end of the T would also counter balance the structure. You would need to put 45 degree braces at every angle, and I'd use 4 x 4 posts on atleast the T part. 2 x 4 glued and screwed would be ok but probably not as tight in the end. Would be easier to build, and more fun. You could potentially move it around as well. Not sure if that would work in your case, but just an idea to consider. Basically an everlast bag hanger made of wood.

Comment

• 3dvrmonster
                • Sep 2020

This is kinda what I mean but it is steel. Se the 45 degree angle braces? You can build this with wood. The bottom is tricky part. You could buy 90 degree corner braces, and place one on each side of the X I mention. You'd need 8 total, or you could use wood pieces to save money I guess. Best thing for stability would be to find a mounting plate 4 x 4 size like picture I included here. It cost 20 bucks, but you have to put holes in concrete to do that. Small chance you could be strong enough to punch it from concrete too!? That would suck, but I doubt most people are hitting bag like Mike Tyson!
                Attached Files

Comment

• 3dvrmonster
                  • Sep 2020

This is the strongest board to attach to that I see that would work for what you are trying to accomplish. Marked in green u may need to zoom in.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...