X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pete
    • Nov 2020

Nichols 337

Recently picked up a nichols swivel that came with a ken wel bag. A leather strap was used to connect the swivel to the bag. I noticed most of the nichols ball housing looked similar to a revolver cylinder with notches on it but this one is smooth. Can anyone tell me if the housing is after market? Also, can anyone tell me what year nichols made the 337 model? Thanks
  • Pete
    • Nov 2020

forgot to include pics
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0161.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	2.05 MB
ID:	127901Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0160 (1).jpg
Views:	262
Size:	2.04 MB
ID:	127902

Comment

• paranday
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Sep 2009

Dutchman will likely have an answer. For what it's worth, here's a Nicol's for sale, missing the hardened hook,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/403528832202

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	361.2 KB
ID:	127907

Name:	s-l1600.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	399.1 KB
ID:	127906
      Attached Files

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

From my observations this from much later production, probably well into the 1920's until the business folded. The style you are referring to is indicative of the late 1890's, which it appears they produced up into the late teens. While the bodies are both castings, as can be seen by the filigree on the base, the patterns for the later version lacked the indentations on the main body. As an aside, Nicol also made metal toys, the company being founded in 1883.
        Last edited by Dutchman; 03-10-2022, 11:41 AM.

Comment

• Pete
          • Nov 2020

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
          From my observations this from much later production, probably well into the 1920's until the business folded. The style you are referring to is indicative of the late 1890's, which it appears they produced up into the late teens. While the bodies are both castings, as can be seen by the filigree on the base, the patterns for the later version lacked the indentations on the main body. As an aside, Nicol also made metal toys, the company being founded in 1883.
          Thank you very much Dutchman

Comment

• Pete
            • Nov 2020

Originally posted by ventanakaz
            I have both types of swivels, the revolver type your talking about Pete and the two piece one that your showing in the pics, My revolver type Pete that you are referring to looks exactly like the one paranday is showing in the ebay pics and my two piece one is a ball-rope swivel, The one's that are of a ball-rope swivel have a bigger hole on the ball compared to the one that paranday is showing (with the missing hook attachment) with that being said even though the one's that are built with a smaller hole in the ball for the hook, you can still thread your rope though that ball and use it as a ball-rope swivel even though it was intended for a hook attachment, and another thing you can interchange the balls between the swivels as the outside diameter of the ball and the seat in the housing is the same size.
            Good to know, thanks

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...