• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rone
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2008

Need a good speed bag

Hello, I would like advice. I want to buy a good speed bag to take to the gym and I would also like to know what else to buy. I guess one of those things to screw the speed bag into the board(sorry I don't know the name of it) any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

PS: I'm not a beginner on punching a speed bag.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Rone View Post
    Hello, I would like advice. I want to buy a good speed bag to take to the gym and I would also like to know what else to buy. I guess one of those things to screw the speed bag into the board (sorry I don't know the name of it) any advice would be appreciated. Thank you

PS: I'm not a beginner on punching a speed bag.
    A good speed bag = Several choices.

1. Title speed bags ( any size, but red 9x6 and yellow 8x5 are great bags)

2. Top Contender Nice bags at unbeatable prices.

3. Ringside Brand Bags. Great Quality if you like the longer lean bag style.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Things to screw the bag to the board = Swivel.

I recommend the Boxing Gear Ballhook. (*scroll down to see it). As a second choice I like the plastic ball hook. But be sure and Super Glue the metal shank into the plastic ball and enjoy a very good swivel at a great price.

OK - I'm partial to the ballhook style. But I still believe it gives the truest rebound.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Rone
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Feb 2008

Thank You

I have a couple of questions. To save a few bucks do you go with the TITLE Classic Speed Bag (6" x 9") for $19.99 or the Top Contender Speed Bag $19.99 and can you screw the plastic ball hook on to a gym board?

Thanks again.

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I have a couple of questions. To save a few bucks do you go with the TITLE Classic Speed Bag (6" x 9") for $19.99 or the Top Contender Speed Bag $19.99 and can you screw the plastic ball hook on to a gym board?
        I use both those bags regularly, and both are great. I highly recommend them.

The plastic ball hook IS NOT removeable once screwed into the board. Your best bet would be to either use the swivel the gym has, or find out what model it is and try to get something compatible (i.e. you CAN screw a metal (no longer made) Everlast ball hook into the base for the Everlast PRO (chain link) swivel).

Believe me when I say there is no compatibility across brands of swivels (i.e Ringside will not fit Everlast etc.)
        Last edited by Tim; 02-07-2008, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks again.
          I agree with Tim. Both the Title Classic 9x6 and the Top Contender 9x6 are excellent bags, and either will work fine.

The Plastic Ballhook is really made as a one piece unit, in that you cannot take it apart once it is fastened to the board. This chain link style is a "two piece" swivel, in that you can attach the base to the board and then take the part that attaches to the bag off the base. This is usually fine in a private or controlled location, but in a wide open public gym someone will attempt to attach another brand product on the base, probably strip of jam the threads and ruin it. For a public location I still think it is easier to leave a ballhook swivel.

IF swivels were bolted on you could easily change them and then bring your own with a few simple wrenches. But when they are screwed into the wood, changing them out will widen the screw holes and then the base won't stay tight.
          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• riqal
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Aug 2006

You can't go wrong with everlast bags. The 6 x 4 is about 30 bucks and it moves well. Anything larger is more expensive if your willing to spend the money.

Comment

• roberthelpus
              • Dec 2007

Thanks again.
              If you want to save some money look at this Works fine for me.

Comment

• toolboxdiver
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                A good speed bag = Several choices.
                1. Title speed bags ( any size, but red 9x6 and yellow 8x5 are great bags)
                Hey Speedbag I'm thinking about adding a 8 X 5 speedbag to my workout what is the problem with the 8 X 5 title bag? does that include the classic style and the regular title bag? Has anyone used the Title Pro mex bags?

Comment

• Tim
                  Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by toolboxdiver View Post
                  Hey Speedbag I'm thinking about adding a 8 X 5 speedbag to my workout what is the problem with the 8 X 5 title bag? does that include the classic style and the regular title bag? Has anyone used the Title Pro mex bags?
                  The Title red 8x5 (the title classic) is very good also. However, it tends to run SMALLER than your average 8x5. Nothing particularly wrong with that , that's just how it is. It's pretty light too, compared to the Yellow 8x5.

I have not used the pro mex bags

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Hey Speedbag I'm thinking about adding a 8 X 5 speedbag to my workout what is the problem with the 8 X 5 title bag? does that include the classic style and the regular title bag?
                    There is no problem with the Yellow Title 8x5. It's a great bag. Like Tim says above, The Red Classic 8x5 seems a tad smaller and lighter than the yellow 8x5, but I use and like them both.

... Has anyone used the Title Pro mex bags?
                    I have the yellow 8x5 Pro Mex. It's a good bag but a bit heavy for it's size. Good action though. All things considered, I'd rather hit the ones above.
                    Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• toolboxdiver
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
                      There is no problem with the Yellow Title 8x5. It's a great bag. Like Tim says above, The Red Classic 8x5 seems a tad smaller and lighter than the yellow 8x5, but I use and like them both.
                      Thanks Speedbag and Tim for your help

Comment

• Rone
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Feb 2008

Thanks for the info everyone.

Speedbag, I'm going to get your autographed book and dvd for 20 but I can't find my check book. Is it alright to send cash hidden? If the letter gets lost it's on me no problem. By the way you are amazing on the speed bag. I never saw someone hit the speed bag like that.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks for the info everyone.

Speedbag, I'm going to get your autographed book and dvd for 20 but I can't find my check book. Is it alright to send cash hidden? If the letter gets lost it's on me no problem.
                          That's not a problem. Just PM me your address.

.. By the way you are amazing on the speed bag. I never saw someone hit the speed bag like that.
                          Thanks, I appreciate the comment. I am proud to say that now there a lot of folks "hitting like me" from all around the bag with fists in elbows, doing some incredible combinations. Check out our own members, Speed Bag Skunk, BillyMack and Tim (forum master). These guys have all really progressed in a very short time. And little do they know - Speedbag4life is just as good as any of them, and has been smokin' a speed bag for years. ( no video yet, but I'm a witness....) I know it's hard to believe, but "it is not as hard as it looks" once you understand how it works

The best part is: In a short time YOU can progress from seeing others doing such amazing combinations, to doing them yourself! It CAN be done, as many are learning. And a lot of them are right here as forum members, willing to help you do it.
                          Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Roc Stone
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Oct 2007

Hi Guy's!

How we all livin?

Every bit of advice above is spot-on but if you're a beginner, as I still am, you should probably stick to a 10x7 for your 1st speed bag. I can only speak for the Top Contender and the Everlast 10x7 from what's been mentioned so far. As for the swivel, Alan is 100% about the truth in the rebound of the ball and hook swivel, but at this point I have to say, if you are a beginner you may want to start perfecting your punching and striking methods on a swivel that is a litle less sensitive; the Everlast chain link is one that comes to mind.

I too also have TC 9x6 and 8x5. I find the TC range a very nice bag to hit, very comfortable on the hands and a true rebound. Having said that though, due to their suppleness, in my opinion they tend to be a bit on the dull side, which can be great when you're warming up or practicing new techniques. My genuine everlast on the other hand is not as user friendly on the fists as the TC (although the more I punch it in the nicer it begins to feel) but it gives a very crisp rebound with consistant acuracy.

Alan loves his ball & hook swivels, and I do too; but he luvs'em more. Again this is only my opinion but you may find it a little easier to learn all your techniques on a chain link style swivel or perhaps something a little more rigid even still. When learning all your techniques I found it easiest when I had the bag swinging on a true (straight) backwards and forwards or left and right plane. It was not until I some-what mastered these techniques individually that I wanted to combine them, and this is when your gunna need a ball & hook type swivel to punch combo's that change the bags swing planes.

You may want to consider the 'Speed Bag Bible' as a learning tool, its very usefull.
                            sigpic'IRON HORSE, LIVE TO RIDE'

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Roc Stone View Post
                              Hi Guy's!

How we all livin?

.... if you are a beginner you may want to start perfecting your punching and striking methods on a swivel that is a litle less sensitive; the Everlast chain link is one that comes to mind...
                              That is an interesting observation. I have been receiving emails lately about the plastic ball hook and how people think it "floats" up in the housing, causing control problems. Personally I had noticed something like this on my own, and crossed it off to several bad days of not hitting real well. (You know, we all have them). I changed bags and sizes, and still noticed It just feels a bit different than a metal ballhook. I missed a lot more while hitting to music, (and don't think that doesn't get irritating). I was getting a lot of helicopter restarts. (Bag wildly circling around the center) and it went on for days. I always blame me first, but this lasted a little longer than normal. Shortly after I tried the "Boxing Gear" metal ballhook and immediately noticed a control difference, so decided to let the plastic ballhook stay down.
                              A few folks have told me they think the plastic ball is too light and won't hold in place. I don't know if that is it or not, But it does seem to demand a more spot-on contact to maintain control with it, at least for me.

If you notice lately, I almost always recommend and link to the Boxing Gear Metal Ballhook as my first recomended choice over the plastic version. I liked the metal chainlink swivel of old but the latest versions do not impress me much. And over time they just mess with rebounding from all directions. But for more straight on punching, they are a very good choice.
                              Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...