• Show
Clear All
  • fishblimp
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2008

need help designing a platform

Hi there.

I am currently trying to figure out if either of two options are possible:

1. In my industrial loft space there are 20" concrete posts (square, not round/poles). I see that most manufacturers' speedbag platforms require mounting to a wall but has anyone seen a method that allows the mounting of a platform using such a pole/post? One that doesn't require drilling into the concrete post? Maybe a way that allows the post to be sandwiched between the platform and some type of backing. Think of it as if the post is clamped between the platform and the backing. Does this exist?

or

2. Is there such a thing as a collapsible speedbag platform? Something that would allow the round part of the platform (the wooden part) to fold up so that ultimately the platform lies as flat as possible against a wall?

thanks for any info. basically i have some limitations that I need to work with and so I need more of a customized installation.
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by fishblimp View Post
    1. In my industrial loft space there are 20" concrete posts (square, not round/poles). I see that most manufacturers' speedbag platforms require mounting to a wall but has anyone seen a method that allows the mounting of a platform using such a pole/post? One that doesn't require drilling into the concrete post? Maybe a way that allows the post to be sandwiched between the platform and some type of backing. Think of it as if the post is clamped between the platform and the backing. Does this exist?
    I'm having a hard time visualizing this... I don't know of anything. Can you post a picture of the space?

2. Is there such a thing as a collapsible speedbag platform? Something that would allow the round part of the platform (the wooden part) to fold up so that ultimately the platform lies as flat as possible against a wall?
    This unit doesn't fold, but the drum and curved metal supports are easily removed and can be stored elsewhere...

thanks for any info. basically i have some limitations that I need to work with and so I need more of a customized installation.
    Welcome to the forum!

Comment

• atgatt
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

It all sounds very easy to do. There are many ways of approaching it. I guess a very simple way would be:

Sh*t, I go and draw it up but it won't take in my picture file.

Anyway, you make a rectangular frame out of 2 x 4 wood a few inches wider than your post. Long enough to secure your round bag platform to the front and a 2 x 4 on opposite end behind your post.

Drill four holes in 2 x 4 at sides of your post area and you can either hammer in some metal threadings sleeves or use bolts for the four leveling pads that face your post. Bring the platform to the height you want, tighten the leveling pads that brace against your post, and presto, a very secure, adjustable, non-permanent platform.

Comment

• fishblimp
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jan 2008

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
        Anyway, you make a rectangular frame out of 2 x 4 wood a few inches wider than your post. Long enough to secure your round bag platform to the front and a 2 x 4 on opposite end behind your post. Drill four holes in 2 x 4 at sides of your post area and you can either hammer in some metal threadings sleeves or use bolts for the four leveling pads that face your post. Bring the platform to the height you want, tighten the leveling pads that brace against your post, and presto, a very secure, adjustable, non-permanent platform.
        I whipped up a sketch of what I think you mean (indicated "1" in the illustration). I'm assuming that finding bolts long enough to reach from the front 2x4 to the rear one shouldn't be difficult to find?

Does anyone know if something along the lines of what I illustrated in 2a or 2b exists?
        Attached Files

Comment

• Speedbag
          Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

It all sounds very easy to do. There are many ways of approaching it. I guess a very simple way would be:

Sh*t, I go and draw it up but it won't take in my picture file.

Anyway, you make a rectangular frame out of 2 x 4 wood a few inches wider than your post. Long enough to secure your round bag platform to the front and a 2 x 4 on opposite end behind your post.

Drill four holes in 2 x 4 at sides of your post area and you can either hammer in some metal threadings sleeves or use bolts for the four leveling pads that face your post. Bring the platform to the height you want, tighten the leveling pads that brace against your post, and presto, a very secure, adjustable, non-permanent platform.
          Why won't it take in your picture file? PM me about that, we don't need to tie up the topic on that....

HI Fishblimp,

For me it would be easier to see a picture of your dilemma. I'm no handyman, cheering when I change a light switch, but we've got some really master craftsman members that can work wonders, and I think a few pictures would help them also. Good luck.
          Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
          *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
          The Quest Continues...
          Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by fishblimp View Post
            I whipped up a sketch of what I think you mean (indicated "1" in the illustration). I'm assuming that finding bolts long enough to reach from the front 2x4 to the rear one shouldn't be difficult to find?

Does anyone know if something along the lines of what I illustrated in 2a or 2b exists?
            I know I have seen something like that somewhere, but I'm coming up short on web searches to find the link, but some type of collapsible design has been presented to the patent office. (* no pics of it...) and here.
            Last edited by Speedbag; 01-12-2008, 11:45 AM.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
              Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              Why won't it take in your picture file?
              There's a pretty restrictive limit on file sizes for uploads... otherwise disk fills up too fast. Anytime someone has problems with a particular picture , they can e-mail it to me as an attachment and I can get it into a format that will upload.

Comment

• fishblimp
                Speed Bag Trainee
                • Jan 2008

I've uploaded an image indicating where I'd like to install the speedbag platform. Basically, it's a space between two closet doors. I know that there are studs closest to the door frame. The frames are 27" away from each other. The key thing that I'd like to attempt is to mount it in a way where I can take down the circular platform and not have any "L" brackets or anything sticking out from the wall. So, ideally I could make something that sort of hooks into something else. Or, if not hooks, something that I screw in would work too. The bottom line is that I am allowed to install my speedbag, as long as it isn't noticeable!

ANY ideas would be SO appreciated. I'd also be willing to pay for someone to design a solution and instruct me on how to build it.

Thanks
                Attached Files

Comment

• atgatt
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Nov 2007

I apologize. The problem was not on the this site's fault, it was on my side unable to put the sketch into my picture file section. For some reason the pic didn't come through from my cell phone camera.

Anyway, I think the sketch will attach this time. The platform attaches directly to the rectangular frame. The frame does not need long bolts to clamp onto the pole, although that is another way of doing it.

You can put a hinge beyond the post with a latching mechanism to fold up when not in use, but since the platform is higher than our heads anyway, why not just leave it because you'll always be walking under it.
                  Attached Files

Comment

• fishblimp
                    Speed Bag Trainee
                    • Jan 2008

thanks atgatt! Your sketch is actually different than I had imagined your description earlier. Right now I'm trying to pursue solution 2A or 2B over solution 1 because if i can find a way to build these, I'll be able to keep the speedbag at home. Option 1 is for my work studio but I'd have to get approval from my studio mate who is not the easiest person to agree to anything.
                    Last edited by fishblimp; 01-12-2008, 10:02 PM. Reason: addressed the wrong name in reply

Comment

• atgatt
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Nov 2007

fishblimp, you can put in four 2 x 4 "latch brackets" wherever your studs are at and position your platform frame accordingly to center it between your doors. So the brackets stay on but the platform frame slides on and off.

The brackets are sold at all hardware stores. I made a tornado shelter out of a storage closet downstairs and used those brackets to secure the reinforced door once inside. You just secure some wood shims to the bracket or 2 x 4 going into it to get rid of any free play in the gap.

Hope you realize that any platform isn't exactly light and taking it off and on could be a workout in itself.

Tell your studio mate that either the speedbag gets a bounding or his face does.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• fishblimp
                        Speed Bag Trainee
                        • Jan 2008

wow. thanks for this idea. i do realize that the platforms can be/are heavy. are you pretty confident that the brackets would hold the 2x4's/platform well? and would the shims do the job of removing any jiggle/noise?

if I were to go to home depot, what section are those brackets usually carried in?

Comment

• fishblimp
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Jan 2008

also, atgatt, is there a model of a platform that you recommend if i were to pursue your design? something sturdy but not a ton?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

I apologize. The problem was not on the this site's fault, it was on my side unable to put the sketch into my picture file section. For some reason the pic didn't come through from my cell phone camera.....
                            That is why I was thinking. I was wondering why. Sometimes my camera pictures are imported in such a large side most "viewer" programs can show them. I have a software the I can open it and then change it to a smaller file. Like Tim's offer to change the image size, I would be glad to make a speed bag topic image smaller if someone doesn't have the software.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

fishblimb, You're situation is unique. I know I have seen a retractable board somewhere onlne, but perhaps it was an overseas site and I didn't create a bookmark, for I can't find it again. But it seems that you really need a "detachable board" rather than "retractable" solution.

Fishblimb, Here is an economical solution that might work. It vertical frames are on 16 inches centers, and you could use three horizontal 1x4 or 2x4 horizontal wood "braces" between your 27 in distance to attach the vertical wall mounts.(top pictures). You could use quick release wing nuts on the 4 carriage bolts that connect the U-frames to the vertical wall mounts, which will remove the board also (it's attached to the U-frames). It would be about a 3 minute Pain to put up and take down, but it would be an easy solution since no professionally made detachable wall unit exists right now.

I know it wouldn't be optimal, but Here is one of those Economical wall unit,.

I hope you find a way to solve your situation.
                            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• atgatt
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Nov 2007

fishblimp,

Here's a few pics of the bracket on my tornado shelter door with and without the upper 2 x 4.

They can be found in the bracket section of a store and are common.

They are way stronger that you'll ever need and if you simply add wood shimming to the back of the 2 x 4 that goes into the bracket, there won't be any free play and you can make it as tight or loose as you want for easy on/off. They are angled at the top to allow a slight guidance.

Regarding platforms, as you can see, Speedbag is the expert.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...