• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgatt
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Nov 2007

Triceps burn

Speedbagging obviously is a good workout for a lot of the upper body, but where I feel a burn the most is in the triceps. Which probably explains the growth in my triceps in the last several months.

I've always worked the triceps with weights, but the speedbag really works them further.

Have others felt the burn there more than anywhere else?
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
    Speedbagging obviously is a good workout for a lot of the upper body, but where I feel a burn the most is in the triceps. Which probably explains the growth in my triceps in the last several months.

I've always worked the triceps with weights, but the speedbag really works them further.

Have others felt the burn there more than anywhere else?
    I have, particularly after intense Front Fist Rolling. Keeping the elbow up close to parallel during the Roll will also put a huge burn on the lateral (outer) shoulders, along with the triceps.

Of course, you feel in in the triceps more if you hit mainly from the front area, pushing the bag, which make the Tricep muscle the primary mover. Doing a lot of Reverse Punching will also do the same thing to the Biceps.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• atgatt
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Nov 2007

Very interesting.

Now you have me thinking about trying Reverse Punching for the biceps. Granted, I could be in the thinking stage a long time and may never reach the action stage. I'm good at that.

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by atgatt View Post
        Very interesting.

Now you have me thinking about trying Reverse Punching for the biceps. Granted, I could be in the thinking stage a long time and may never reach the action stage. I'm good at that.
        If you are going to use the bigger bags, then you will need to do Reverse Single Punching (RSP) punching by hitting more on the reverse-side panel of the bag, so the bag angle will make it rebound to the side of you face. If you hit the big bags directly from behind, and punch right back at your face, that is where the bag will go. You would have to lean back out of the way, which you need to do for Reverse Double Punch (RDP) and Reverse Fist Rolling (R-Roll).

If you're shoulders and arms are in decent shape then this will be a high repetition exercise. Try doing 30 or 40 of them with each arm. Get ready for your shoulders to burn, for your arm is fairly extended, which really adds more work on the deltoids.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• atgatt
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Nov 2007

Thanks again, Alan.

Right now I find that I'm using 3 bags in the workout. Start with the 12 x 10 (sure not doing reverse punches on that, at least now), go to the black Turbo and then the 8 x 5.

I'll do what you said starting on the Turbo and see if it affects my bad right shoulder.

Alan, you're a genius. I just tried what you said on the 8 x 5 but I didn't do well. Put on the Turbo, hit to the side just one armed and I could do the good ol' three count. Too bad I have to travel this morning or else I would practice it and practice it. All in good time though.

P.S. I'll be mailing off a red Tittle 9 x 6 bag to you this week to autograph. It's all boxed up and I have return postage in it.

Can't thank you enough for the autograph and your great advice.

Comment

• ukspeedbag
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Nov 2007

I feel a burn in my shoulders more than my triceps. The burn is in the front, side and rear delts. I do believe the speed bag is an excellent exercise, because I have suffered with a mechanical injury to both my lower back and left side of neck for years. However, since I started working on the speed bag, the neck pain has gone and the back is nowhere near as bad.

I don't really feel much in my arms though.

How long do you hit a bag for?

Comment

• atgatt
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Nov 2007

Originally posted by ukspeedbag View Post

How long do you hit a bag for?
              That's funny, I answered this question yesterday and yet it's not here. So on this answer, I'll exaggerate even more.

The gist of it is, I go for 20 minutes to 45. At times I "sprint" the bags going at a fast pace, do some combos, sprint again, combos...

Other times I just "jog" the bags. Keeping a moderate pace for about 15 minutes, rest about a minute and then do jogs again.

Some times hit the bags, workout with the weights, hit the bag, workout, etc.

Discovered reverse punching is not liked on my right shoulder because it requires the muscle to pull in front of the shoulder right where a large incision was made during the operation. So I'll stick with just front hits.

I'm sure glad to hear your neck and back are doing much better. Keep it that way.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...