• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kolz
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2007

Best Speedbag & Heavy Bag - What to Buy on a $750 budget

Greetings all,

What is the best setup to buy either from a wall or free standing for a Speedbag, and heavy bag (probably double ended) setup? Total Budget is $750.

Needs:

Adjustable for rest of family - I am 6'2" as the tallest.

Usuage is for fitness only. I would throw the heaviest of punches.

Speedbag/Platform
    Heavybag (probably should go with a stand here.. don't trust the ceiling joists

Thanks.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Primefighter SKU 400

Hi Koltz,

the Primefighter Wall Unit SKU 400 should serve all your purposes.

It is a rock solid wall unit that has a lot of adjustment, comes with a thick board and a unique way to hang a heavy bag, or double end bag, from the board by a hanging bracket that comes through a custom hole in the board. The hole doesn't effect the speed bag rebound.

here is the unit it action in my house.

by the way, Thanks to Tim you'll get a 15% percent discount by telling they you were referred via this forum, and you'll often see their banner across the top. If you need a little more adjustment than the "standard" unit, call them and let them know. They can costumize each unit for length and tell them you want the board for a heavybag.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• kolz
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Nov 2007

Thanks. As you say in your video somewhat concerned about the weight on the wall.

For heavy bag - thoughts on this primefighter

Any feeling on complete freestanding "combo" units

http://www.primefighter.com/Photos/SIP700B.jpg with description here: http://www.amazon.com/Professional-F...5052445&sr=1-5

thanks

Comment

• Tim
        Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

In my opinion, those heavy bag stands are somewhat limiting... if you don't want to hang it from roof or walls take a look at this:

At Ringside, we are serious about fight sports, especially boxing and MMA. We offer the best prices on boxing equipment in addition to videos, tutorials, and guides. Low-cost shipping guaranteed!

I've had one for 5 years, and love it. You can move it around, punch 360 degrees, yet it's heavy enough to not rock (unless you're really pushing your punches). It's not well suited to kicks though, the bag moves too much.

As far as the speed bag, I would strongly advise you to re-consider a wall mount unit...the freestanding units are doomed to have too much vibration. If you're going to be serious about it, you need a wall mount unit.

Comment

• kolz
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Nov 2007

thanks gents for the reccommendations.

Tim - Do you know what the bag is filled with? do you need a cover or anything?

Speedbag - Anythoughts on this version? http://www.primefighter.com/images/Model%20500.jpg

thanks again gents

Comment

• kolz
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Nov 2007

One more question

Speedbag Make/Size recommendation?

Is the standard swivel on the aforementioned prime stands good enough..

again, fitness, newbie...

my understanding is as you get better.. the bag needs to get smaller

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by kolz View Post
              Tim - Do you know what the bag is filled with? do you need a cover or anything?
              It's "soft filled" ... the bag part is not heavy at all ... as the resistance comes from the spring. (See the video on their site to see the unit in action). It's very easy on the hands.

The video is here: http://www.ringside.com/video/fhb.mpg
              Last edited by Tim; 11-15-2007, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Speedbag Make/Size recommendation?

Is the standard swivel on the aforementioned prime stands good enough..
                These Title bags are excellent. As good or better than anything else on the market and cheap. I would recommend a 10x7 or 9x6 size for a beginner.

My favorite ringside bags are these, but the biggest size they come in is 9x6:
                At Ringside, we are serious about fight sports, especially boxing and MMA. We offer the best prices on boxing equipment in addition to videos, tutorials, and guides. Low-cost shipping guaranteed!

I can't vouch for the prime figher swivels as I don't know what particular model they use.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

my understanding is as you get better.. the bag needs to get smaller
                  Sort of... Think of hitting a 10x7 bag as more of a "power" workout and a smaller bag as more of a "speed" workout. I use a 10x7, 8x5, and a 4x7 when I workout.

You definitely should start on the 10x7 though.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...