• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hellobious
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Nov 2007

1st Post - Platform Question/s

I am interested in taking up the speed bag. I have been lurking here to get as much information possible so I do not waste money on bad products or products that may discourage me from practicing.

In my surfing for various platforms, I have a few platforms I am considering:
    I-Box by Balazs - http://www.balazsboxing.com/cgi-bin/...ge&page=MS0433

Title Precision Adjustable - http://store.titleboxing.com/title-p...-platform.html

Prime Fighter 400 - http://www.amazon.com/Heavy-Weight-A...4492028&sr=1-6

Everlast Pro Speed Bag Kit - http://www.budovideos.com/shop/custo...cat=355&page=1
    This one, which I see everywhere for $499, but for some reason is only $250. I don't know if it is an error, scam or the model is garbage.

I would be mounting the unit in my basement which is drywalled, but I plan on mounting horizontal wood braces across multiple the studs, wider than the unit to offset and distribute the weight. I have somewhat low ceilings - 87" and I am about 71" tall.

I apologize in advance for the long post, I want to be as thorough as possible. That being said, I have a few questions:

The units mentioned above, from what I have read here: Many love the I-Box. AK loves the Prime Fighter 500. Title looks nice but I have heard mention of slides being noisy. The Everlast, seems like a great deal and hard to pass up. Any thoughts on these units, especially the Title and Everlast since I haven't seen any mention of them previously? Would my height/ceiling restrict my use of any of these? I-Box would be fine I would assume due to it's smaller dimensions.

I am pretty anal about noise/vibration, which makes me leary of the Title and Everlast, but the Everlast has a solid hardwood wood drum from the sounds of it. I considered the I-Box due to price, but thought since the Prime Fighter could handle a heavy bag (which I will also be purchasing), that might be better, although not ideal for it.

Any thoughts, comments suggestions? Anything I may have missed or not thought through?

I appreciate your time,
    Hellobious
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

HI hellobious. Welcome to the forum.

One thought about your choice might be the amount of height adjustment you need. If YOU will be the only one really hitting it, then any of them would work, for all appear to raise up pretty near the top of the vertical wall mounts, getting it close to your low ceiling (if needed). The Everlast and primefighter probably have the most adjustment up or down. If it's only YOU using it with a few near sized bags, (say 10x7 - 8x5) then your won't be adjusting too much anyway for bag height (just a few inches either way) but IF you have some really short or tall family or training partners, (in my case, a very short wife or grandkids) than more height adjustment will be needed.

Any of those units are rock solid, particularly if you put a sandbag over the top. I don't have one over my primefighter unit, only because I don't want the extra weight on the wall (I've got a split stud inside already from multiple assaults of different wall units and hex head screws. i don't want to add the extra strain to it)

I can't say I've ever seen that titleboxing wall unit, but It looks to have a thin board for the size of the frame.

Good luck with your setup.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Tim
      Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

I haven't used any of those platforms, so I can't comment, but keep in mind as a speedbagforum.com member you are entitled to 15% off any platform that PrimeFighter sells...

(Must order direct through their web site to get the discount)

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...