• Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by kdiver58 View Post
    Thanks for cutting me some slack
    How's the shoulder holding up?

My poor kid broke his foot, 5th metatarsal of the left foot, and it's healing like crap. At 10 weeks he still has very little bone .. just a lump. We even bought a $2000 ultra-sound unit to speed the healing.

Have fun and I hope you draw a big crowd... !

Sorry to hear about your son's foot problem. A friend of mine had a similiar problem with a broken humerus (upper arm) and had to have the ultrasonic stimulation to assist in bone growth. Worked well, in that the bone eventually healed, but took an abnormally long time. If they started the ultrasound early enough, the healing should really pick up. I'm lucky in that I grow bone cells very well. In fact, too well, so I end up with spurs continually growing for years. there is no automatic "off" switch for healing tissue. In fact, my left shoulder had an acromioclavicular resection in 1997, and the end of the clavicle has started to regenerate and grow back in. the jagged edges are clearly visible on
    X-ray. That will also have to be removed again at some point, and they will irradiate that bone to kill the growth plates.

My current situation was an attempt to regrow cartilage on the glenoid surface (socket of the shoulder, on the end of the scapula), which is a much more tenuous situation. Cartilage is a much slower, more difficult tissue to grow, especially when the bone surface has to be completetly scraped off to reheal itself and then recover itself with cartilage. that can take up to several years to complete.

At eight months post-op, I don't think it is going as well as we expected, but the doctor says that's because I'm an inpatient little cus and want to push it. I will probably have another arthroscopic procedure to check it out, along with removing the end of the clavicle again. That will be operation #5 on the left shoulder. I probably won't have that until sept or oct if I can stand it that long.

the moral of this story, treat your shoulders well in your youth. don't overdo everything day after day after day. Let them rest. Forget the mantra of no pain, no gain. All that leads to is chronic pain, degenerative joint problems, and the opportunity to under the procedures described above.

Trust me on this, - It sucks.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
    Working...