• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rdshackleford
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2016

I just want to start with one bible style move

Speedbag and everyone,

(I'm asking Speedbag specifically because of the great old threads I read about shoulder problems and the speed bag. A ton of valuable info, thanks!)

I have a history of shoulder impingement issues, good days, bad days, blah blah, blah.

I'm pretty good at simple (boring) boxing style speed bag, but am a complete n00b when it comes to learning bible style.

Can you recommend a single bible style move, a single rudiment, a very simple combination I can start with?

Nothing fancy, nothing hard on the shoulders. I am a patient person, so it can be simple and boring. I just need a stepping stone that I can practice and eventually nail before attempting more difficult combinations.

Thanks,

-Rusty
    @ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic
  • rdshackleford
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Oct 2016

Maybe I should start small?

-Rusty
    @ArcSwivel
    #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Downfall
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Oct 2016

You talk about shoulders I am about to purchase my first speed bag set-up mainly because I have SUPER weak and decaying shoulder muscle (type all day long) and I was hoping the speed bag would help with my shoulder muscles. Will it or will it actually make the shoulders worse? Thank you.

Comment

• rdshackleford
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Oct 2016

Originally posted by Downfall View Post
        You talk about shoulders I am about to purchase my first speed bag set-up mainly because I have SUPER weak and decaying shoulder muscle (type all day long) and I was hoping the speed bag would help with my shoulder muscles. Will it or will it actually make the shoulders worse? Thank you.
        First I would suggest you look into a physical therapy program. I would ask your GP first and then go on to a PT place. I am a software guy and let my shoulders weaken over decades and wound up with bilateral shoulder impingement syndrome. Could not raise my arms. Long story short, the dr's and PT got my shoulders moving, and I was on a program to build the shoulder muscles.

One day it occurred to me (actually my lovely wife asked the question which spurred the idea) that the speed bag workout I used to do when I was a teenager would be a great and fun way to build back up my shoulders and upper arms.

At this point, maybe 3 months into it, I still consider myself doing PT, but mostly with speedbag. A little PT stretching, range of motion here and there. Just starting to tag the heavy bag again like a dorky kid. I used to really swat. It is sad. But I'll get there.

I digress.

Yes, speedbag is great for your shoulders.

-Rusty
        @ArcSwivel
        #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• Downfall
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Oct 2016

Originally posted by rdshackleford View Post
          First I would suggest you look into a physical therapy program. I would ask your GP first and then go on to a PT place. I am a software guy and let my shoulders weaken over decades and wound up with bilateral shoulder impingement syndrome. Could not raise my arms. Long story short, the dr's and PT got my shoulders moving, and I was on a program to build the shoulder muscles.

One day it occurred to me (actually my lovely wife asked the question which spurred the idea) that the speed bag workout I used to do when I was a teenager would be a great and fun way to build back up my shoulders and upper arms.

At this point, maybe 3 months into it, I still consider myself doing PT, but mostly with speedbag. A little PT stretching, range of motion here and there. Just starting to tag the heavy bag again like a dorky kid. I used to really swat. It is sad. But I'll get there.

I digress.

Yes, speedbag is great for your shoulders.

-Rusty
          Brilliant. Thanks for the response. I currently do some workouts and I did attend PT when I got surgery on my nerves (24 and got surgery on all 3 nerves yikes) but I recovered and rested well and now my arm feels back to normal. I am going to keep doing stretches along with learn to hit the speed bag when it arrives. I am 25 now it sucks I took this long to get into it but I am really excited to dive into the boxing world slowly. Any recommendation on what bag I should get after I get used to my speed bag? Heavy bag for strength?

Thanks again

Comment

• rdshackleford
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Oct 2016

At this point, I must defer to others with better advice & experience. Good luck!

-Rusty
            @ArcSwivel
            #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

• rdshackleford
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Oct 2016

Oh, and also I had a question up above. So, please answer us both.

-Rusty
              @ArcSwivel
              #ArcSwivel sigpic

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...