• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hosted
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Aug 2016

Another way to improve cheap platforms

Hey guys. I've just started hitting the speed bag and hated this platform from the first minute. This may get lengthy but am thrilled with how this turned out and wanted to share. I first tried sandbags with some success but wanted to see what I could come up with. I was just using 2' chunks of 2x4 behind the platform at first and was shaking my barn wall as well.

So I started by running the 8' 2x4s vertically. I then went to my local electrical supply house and got 10' of unistrut and strut nuts and bolted them to the 2x4s. I bolted the platform to 2" angle iron which I had laying around and then to the 5'of unistrut on each side so I would have about 3' of travel to move it down for my kids also. I've found it doesn't slide nearly as easy as I was hoping though.

I used one of the 24" tabletop from home depot to make the board thicker. Wanted to put the wood grain down but pine is just to soft for my liking. The biggest difference came from the all thread angle braces I threw together. I got a 10' piece of 3/8 all thread and two 3/8 turnbuckles and some little pieces of angle iron to make the braces coming down. I was really impressed with how solid it felt with my 7x10 bag I'm learning on. I'm going to throw a sand bag up there tomorrow night to see it it does anything else. Will try to get a better picture when I get all of my lights working and get it leveled correctly. Could have easily made it $20 cheaper without the strut but that's okay. I have about $75 total in a platform that is pretty dang solid so I'm happy so wanted to share in case it could help someone.

$20 Used platform with plastic swivel
    $6 2x4s
    $16 Unistrut
    $5 Unistrut nuts
    $5 Misc bolts, washers, and nuts
    $4 10' 3/8 all thread
    $8 for two turnbuckle
    $10 pine tapble top
    Attached Files
  • Hosted
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Aug 2016

Not much action on this forum. Put a 70lb sand bag on top and I can say that I'm happy and finished until I decide to build a nice platform.

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Hosted View Post
      Not much action on this forum. Put a 70lb sand bag on top and I can say that I'm happy and finished until I decide to build a nice platform.
      That is a really unique board and set up. Many of us put a sand bag over the board to add stability, buffer the sound and rattling. 70lbs might be a little much but it should hold 'er still!
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Hosted
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Aug 2016

I just used 70lb because that is what size bag I already had laying around. May dump some out of one. With the thereaded rod being bolted at both ends and slightly tightened it easily supports the sand. I wouldn't be scared to sit on top of it.

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

Originally posted by Hosted View Post
          I read your post, really like the improvements. Bag on!

Comment

• flbagger
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Jul 2016

Looks beast.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...