• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chris M
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Mar 2006

Another swivel/bag question

First off, I prefer the Everlast metal ball & hook swivel. However, on my two Everlast speedbags, the loops are short and very thick which makes getting the bags off the hook very difficult. I usually take a pair of pliers to hold the hook and wiggle the bag off. I've recently thought of taking the swivel off my board and filing some length off the hook and round the edges, but I'm afraid it may make my bags fly off.

Alan mentions putting tape on the hook to help keep the bags on but I have so much difficulty switch out bags I don't see that as an issue. On my Title classic, the thickness of the loop is very thin so it comes off and on very easily, but as has been said before already, the loop is very wide.

Any suggestions here? On my big Everlast 11x8 bag, the stitching is actually starting to rip apart on the top of the loop from forcing it on and off the hook.

It's kind of frustrating because I am starting to use the smaller bags more and my 8 year old only likes to use the largest bag. I'm really happy that he's taking an interest in the speed bag, but at this point, all he's interested in doing is the FCP. He does it so much, his knuckles are raw. I've tried to show him how to use wraps and even gave him a pair of his own but he won't go to the trouble of putting them on just to FCP for 15 seconds or so. The problem is he does it about once an hour or so. Maybe I'll get him a pair of those Everlast gel gloves.

Anyway, I need advice on this stupid ball/hook thing because I'm really beginning to hate changing out the bags. Once the weather gets nicer and I start using my outdoor bag it will be less of an issue because I'll have the bigger bag indoors for him to use.
  • Tim
    Administrator and Founder of SpeedBagForum.com

• Jan 2006

Maybe you could get an extra swivel and just change out the bases, i.e. the part that screws into the drum. While that's probably more work, it would save wear and tear on the bag loop.

The thought on filing the swivel hook down is possibly worth a shot. If you take too much off, you'll be out a swivel that only costs about $11.00, compared to tearing up a $30 or $40 speedbag...

Luckily, my title bag goes on and off very easily. I've never had it fly off the swivel hook either.

Comment

• Chris M
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Mar 2006

Well, that is an idea. However, the metal ball/hook designs are getting hard to come by. As a matter of fact, I'm now in the middle of a dispute with a guy on Ebay because he had photos and descriptions of a metal one but he sent me a plastic one for $20 incl. shipping.

If you know where to get these metal ones for $11, clue me in!

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Originally posted by Chris M
        If you know where to get these metal ones for $11, clue me in!
        That's interesting. Here in Florida, I can't find a plastic one. All the sports retailers that carry speedbag equipment only have the metal ones. If you can't get another metal up there, let me know and I'll get you one and ship it to you.

Comment

• Chris M
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Tim
          That's interesting. Here in Florida, I can't find a plastic one. All the sports retailers that carry speedbag equipment only have the metal ones. If you can't get another metal up there, let me know and I'll get you one and ship it to you.
          Where are you from in Florida? I'm originally a Florida boy and lived there for over 35 years, mostly in Winter Haven but I did live in the Plant City area for several years while I was working in Tampa.

I just ordered another from Ebay because I want a spare, if it's truly a metal one, I should be set.

Nevermind, I saw from your profile that you are in the land of the mouse.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Where are you from in Florida? I'm originally a Florida boy and lived there for over 35 years, mostly in Winter Haven but I did live in the Plant City area for several years while I was working in Tampa.

I just ordered another from Ebay because I want a spare, if it's truly a metal one, I should be set.

Nevermind, I saw from your profile that you are in the land of the mouse.
            I lived in Tampa (actually Brandon/Riverview area) for 17 years. Moved here to Altamonte Springs (Orlando) 2 years ago to take a new job.

If the Ebay thing doesn't work out, let me know.

Comment

• Chris M
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Mar 2006

Originally posted by Tim
              I lived in Tampa (actually Brandon/Riverview area) for 17 years. Moved here to Altamonte Springs (Orlando) 2 years ago to take a new job.

If the Ebay thing doesn't work out, let me know.
              I know the Altamonte Springs area very well. I had a girlfriend there for several years and I also used to go to the big Harley dealer they have in Altamonte quite a bit.

Do you have a paypal account? I may just paypal you the money for a couple of those swivels, along with some gas money and shipping of course!

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Do you have a paypal account? I may just paypal you the money for a couple of those swivels, along with some gas money and shipping of course!
                I do, but I don't think it can take payments. We'll figure something out if you need me to get you a few.

I stopped by the Sports Authority by my house and double checked the price and to pickup a backup swivel for myself. The Everlast 4440 ball hook was 11.99. They had 5 of them, including the one I got. They also had a ton (20+) of these century swivels on clearance for 4.97. I picked one up to see if I could try it out, but the holes on the base are just barely closer together than the everlast We're talking a half milimeter difference at best.

The century one has this funky offset to the hook. Not sure how well it works. I may try to mount it on my platform tomorrow. I'll just drill a second set of holes for the Century, my platform already looks like junk anyways...

Last edited by Tim; 03-25-2006, 06:56 PM.

Comment

• Chris M
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Mar 2006

Let me know how you like those other swivels. Alan says to avoid them because they fall apart, but for $5.00 apiece, so what?

I do want to get a couple of those swivels since it seems they're getting hard to come by. I think Sport Authority must have bought out a bunch or they're still getting rid of their stock because those things are getting scarce.

If you give me your email address I'll try to paypal you your money.

Comment

• Speedbag
                    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Swivel Hook problems

Chris

I am very familiar with the problem of putting bags on certain swivels. The problem is long standing, because swivel attachment-to-bag parts (hooks or links) and bag loop width and thickness have routinely changed. I have bags with loops that are 2 or 3/16 wider than the other, and each has individual thickness. : confused:

And as you know, all ballhooks are not created equal. Look at the hook on Tims posted set up.

Notice the hook shape, which is the most modern version. (look at the swivel on the left that Tim just bought..)

It has a very small clearance to put bag on, and wide flat base. Hard to get a thick and wide bag loop on and off this, but the wide bottom will hold the bag well. Very hard to knock a bag up and off this hook, since the edge of the opening actually bends back in toward the bag. You probably won't need any tape on this. ( personally, I don't like this new style....)

now look at this hook.

This is an "old style" hook, probably 10 or more years old. (and My personal favorite). Notice the entry way for the bag is wider, and the bottom of the hook is round, not flat. Very hard to force a wide, thick bag loop on this. This is the hook I recommend using tape over the hole to keep the bag on, since any upward miss it will launch the bag up and off.

I have a set of pliars in my speed bag room, and have used them several times just as you have. You may find a shoestring helpful for a wide bag loop. You can wrap the shoestring around the loop in the center and tie it in a really tight knot. I will squeeze the edges together. I manipulate the string around so the knot is inside the loop. This makes the small area of the loop a bit narrower.

Last summer Myself and John Baca spent over 45 minutes trying to put his reyes speed bag one of my ballhook. We tried on both the "old style" and newer model (I have both..) After we finally did it, I just gave him the hook because we couldn't get it off.

and we're supposed to know what we're doing..

the problem with the single piece metal ballhooks (like the one on the right in the picture above) is that the metal always seems "soft" and fails over time. The constant contacts of the rod from the ball on the housing bends the housing, and eventually the ball falls out. And they also "longer" in design, making the rebound arc longer and slower. I have never found this design to be fast or give a quality workout.
                    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                    The Quest Continues...
                    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Chris M
                      Speed Bag Guru
                      • Mar 2006

Well, I spent my day down in my shop refinishing the boards for my new Ringside speed bag stand that I bought on ebay last week.

While I was puttering around in my shop, I found my original plastic ball & hook swivel and I very carefully took about 1/16" off the end of the hook using my bench grinder with a thin cutoff disc on it and then rounded the edges with a file. I can now slip on my Everlast bags with the thick loops without too much difficulty. I was careful not to take off so much that it was too easy to slip on and off.

I'm going to take my swivel off my board and give it a shot with my metal one tomorrow. I'm just going to be very careful and only take a minimal amount off at a time until I can get it to fit like it does on my plastic ball one. Even if I start having problems with it coming off occasionally, I'll just start using tape to hold it in. I think a little experimenting with hooks will pay off if it keeps from tearing up my new expensive bags.

By the way, a while back I had that stupid metal center come out of the mount and I notices that the center part is not threaded, only the base is threaded. Are they all like this? I tried and tried to get it threaded back in but it just wouldn't go. Finally, in frustration, I just pounded it in with a big ass hammer until it was flush and after about 10 minutes it came flying back off again. I then took out the JB Weld and epoxied that sucker in there and it's a solid piece. I did this about two months ago and it's been fine ever since

On my chain link Everlast swivel, I tried to loosen it with a pipe wrench to see if it was threaded on both sides and it wouldn't budge. I know it's not because I wasn't trying hard enough because I had a two foot pipe wrench on it! What's the deal with these things, I've heard people mention having them come loose, but from what I've seen, they're either in there very very tight, or they hardly fit at all?

Thanks for the suggestions!

Chris
                      Last edited by Chris M; 03-25-2006, 11:36 PM.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

I just pounded it in with a big ass hammer until it was flush and after about 10 minutes it came flying back off again. I then took out the JB Weld and epoxied that sucker in there and it's a solid piece. I did this about two months ago and it's been fine ever since
                        Thanks for mentioning that. My first Everlast 4440 met a similar fate after about only 3 weeks of use I will have to invest in some JB Weld, I've heard of it before, but forgot it existed. As far as I know, they are all like that (not threaded).
                        Last edited by Tim; 03-26-2006, 07:39 PM.

Comment

• Tim

• Jan 2006

Let me know how you like those other swivels. Alan says to avoid them because they fall apart, but for $5.00 apiece, so what?

I do want to get a couple of those swivels since it seems they're getting hard to come by. I think Sport Authority must have bought out a bunch or they're still getting rid of their stock because those things are getting scarce.

If you give me your email address I'll try to paypal you your money.
                          I didn't get around to trying that Century swivel today. Due to the way my board is set up it's not good for me to change swivel bases often (long story short due to the metal reinforcing bar on mine I have to use screws in stead of bolts to hold the swivel base on, so the more I change bases the more stripped out the screw holes get). I was going to make a new platform to try it out but didn't get around to it.

How many of the Everlast swivels do you want? Let me find out what the total is with shipping and then you can PayPal me the money or send me a check or whatever. There were 4 at my local store, plus I have a few other sources that I could get more if needed.

Comment

• Chris M
                            Speed Bag Guru
                            • Mar 2006

Thanks for mentioning that. My first Everlast 4440 met a similar fate after about only 3 weeks of use I will have to invest in some JB Weld, I've heard of it before, but forgot it existed. As far as I know, they are all like that (not threaded).
                            What I did was clean up the threads and everything really well and with a pop sickle stick, I kind of smeared the JB Weld on the male and female parts and gently tapped them together with my big ass hammer. While the epoxy was still wet, I cleaned up any excess and let it dry overnight. Like I said, it's one solid piece now. I would highly recommend JB Weld for this type of repair, that stuff is fantastic. Just get the regular stuff, they make quicky setting, waterproof, (which works very well for boat patching by the way) etc. I think it sets in a couple of hours, but to be on the safe side, I let it dry overnight.

Comment

• Chris M
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Mar 2006

PHP Code:
                              How many of the Everlast swivels do you wantLet me find out what the total is with shipping and then you can PayPal me the money or send me a check or whateverThere were 4 at my local storeplus I have a few other sources that I could get more if needed
                              Two would be plenty, thanks Tim! You can PM me your address if you'd like, or just send it to me via email at chris.marquardt@insightbb.com.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...