Thanks for all the information! (Pictures)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2016

Thanks for all the information! (Pictures)

Thanks for the wealth of information here. After lots of reading I set up my own speedbag a few weeks back and am thrilled with the results.

Materials
    - 2' x 2' x 3/4" plywood (x2)
    - 2' x 2' x 3/4" sanded plywood
    - 2" x 6" x 2' scrap wood
    - heavy duty wood glue
    - ltx ball hook swivel
    - title classic speedbag 5" x 8"
    - heavy duty screws

All in for about $100.
    Money well spent!

It's attached to the ceiling in the basement.

I'd forgotten how much fun it is.

(And please forgive me if this is in the wrong forum)
    Attached Files
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Matt View Post
    Thanks for the wealth of information here. After lots of reading I set up my own speedbag a few weeks back and am thrilled with the results.

Materials
    - 2' x 2' x 3/4" plywood (x2)
    - 2' x 2' x 3/4" sanded plywood
    - 2" x 6" x 2' scrap wood
    - heavy duty wood glue
    - ltx ball hook swivel
    - title classic speedbag 5" x 8"
    - heavy duty screws

All in for about $100.
    Money well spent!

It's attached to the ceiling in the basement.

I'd forgotten how much fun it is.

(And please forgive me if this is in the wrong forum)
    Awesome set up! Great job. Can't wait to see some video!
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• mcpingist
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • May 2016

Thanks, Matt. Looks nice. I'm trying to design my own homemade platform right now. I have no carpentry experience and very little aptitude. I may be overthinking things, but it seems more complicated than I would have expected. Every time I research a question, I come up with 5 more questions. At some point I need to just jump in. BTW, did you screw those plywood pieces together when you glued them or just clamp them?

Comment

• mcpingist
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • May 2016

Thanks, Ralph. Great advice. I have a bunch of weights also, and was planning on using some of them in addition to clamps. My clamps will only reach to the very outside of the drum, so I'll use the weights on the inside. From what I hear, if the screw threads span any 2 pieces (hard to find any that don't, in my case), the screws tend to push the pieces apart instead of pulling them together. I'm gluing 3- 1" boards together for the drum. I'm guessing the clamps would protect somewhat against the boards wanting to spread apart, but why put that pressure on thin pieces of wood?

I'm thinking that when I bolt the drum to the support pieces (4X4s), I'll countersink the bolt heads and fill the resultant holes in with epoxy. I'm hoping that might kill 2 birds with one stone, so to speak:

1)Fill the hole, so as to lessen or eliminate any wear on the bag (2' board, so bolts will be inside the bag circle)

2)Secure the bolt head from any tendency to want to loosen up from vibration.

Thoughts?

Thanks Again,

Mike

Originally posted by ventanakaz
        ...What I did with my setup was to use weight after I glued mine together, I have over 300 lbs of 25 pound plates and ever time I added another drum to my setup I just set it on my garage floor, added the glue then set the weights atop of it. (Edit) BTW I didn't want a bunch of screws in my drum, that's why I did it that way

Comment

• mcpingist
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • May 2016

Originally posted by ventanakaz
          The screws won't spread the boards apart, if you drill a pilot hole for each screw, You don't have to drill all the way though, just take your drill bit and wrap some tape at the depth that you want to stop at, So as you start to drill just stop when you reach the tape on your bit, You can install the screws on the top side of your drum so you don't see them on the bag side...Ralph
          Thanks, Ralph.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...