What's a good platform for a novice? And how do I mount it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PenguinBoxer
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2016

I have a cheap free standing one now and it sucks, way to much movement, can't keep a good rythim going.

I weigh 200+ lbs so something sturdy, adjustable would be nice as well.

I'm thinking of mounting a 2x4 or 2x6 to the studs then mount the platform to the wood, what kind of screws would I need for all that? Any other tips for getting it to mount well?

TIA
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by PenguinBoxer View Post

I have a cheap free standing one now and it sucks, way to much movement, can't keep a good rythim going.

I weigh 200+ lbs so something sturdy, adjustable would be nice as well.

I'm thinking of mounting a 2x4 or 2x6 to the studs then mount the platform to the wood, what kind of screws would I need for all that? Any other tips for getting it to mount well?

TIA
    Hey PenguinBoxer, welcome to the forum.

You are right, Freestanding units are just not stable enough to get the job done.

A very stable wall unit that is relatively easy to hang is the Balazs Boxing I-box system Many of the advanced baggers have hit them HARD at the gathering and they hold up very well.

If you use the wood runners I would suggest running LAG BOLTS like this through the wood. That's what I have used. However the raised heads of the bolt cannot be under the angle irons unless you counter sink them into the wood.

SpeedbagSkunk twin Ibox setup

Hope this helps.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• PenguinBoxer
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • May 2016

Thanks!

Is it fine to mount it direct to the studs as well?

Did you put any weights on top of the platform?

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks!

Is it fine to mount it direct to the studs as well?

Did you put any weights on top of the platform?
        Answer to both is yes.

as far as weight on top of platform, I have seen it both ways. Some do some don't but it will help with stability a little if you're really smashing a large bag.
        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• PenguinBoxer
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • May 2016

Thanks again!

How would one like this compare?
          XMark XM-2811

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Thanks again!

How would one like this compare?
            XMark XM-2811
            The XMark XM-281 looks to be similar to I-Box but I personally have not hit it.

XMARK offers a full line of home gym equipment for strength training, including functional trainers, barbells, free weights, benches, and more!

Personally I would prefer the Balazs i-Box for no other reason than they have been a long time supporter of this speed bag community, the yearly gathering and several forum members when the opportunity arose. My own personally history with the company goes back before the current amazing owner Brian Demaris, who I cannot thank enough for supporting our community. Before him was the originator,
            Andrew R. Laudenslager whom I also knew personally and met several times when attending fitness and trade shows way back when I was attending such things and doing speed bag demonstrations.

Balazs Boxing not only stands behind their equipment, they stand with the speed bag community, posting video's on Facebook of forum members hitting the speed bag on theirs, and others equipment. https://www.facebook.com/balazsboxing

I'm not suggesting you let this information sway YOUR opinion, but between these two equipment choices it certain would sway mine.
            Last edited by Speedbag; 05-21-2016, 12:00 PM.
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• PenguinBoxer
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • May 2016

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
              The XMark XM-281 looks to be similar to I-Box but I personally have not hit it.

XMARK offers a full line of home gym equipment for strength training, including functional trainers, barbells, free weights, benches, and more!

Personally I would prefer the Balazs i-Box for no other reason than they have been a long time supporter of this speed bag community, the yearly gathering and several forum members when the opportunity arose. My own personally history with the company goes back before the current amazing owner Brian Demaris, who I cannot thank enough for supporting our community. Before him was the originator,
              Andrew R. Laudenslager whom I also knew personally and met several times when attending fitness and trade shows way back when I was attending such things and doing speed bag demonstrations.

Balazs Boxing not only stands behind their equipment, they stand with the speed bag community, posting video's on Facebook of forum members hitting the speed bag on theirs, and others equipment. https://www.facebook.com/balazsboxing

I'm not suggesting you let this information sway YOUR opinion, but between these two equipment choices it certain would sway mine.
              Good points!! Thanks!

What type of screw is used to mount the platform directly into the studs?

Comment

• speedball708
                • Apr 2015

Check out the fighting sports speed bag platform. It looks solid and it's only 90$. Also the fight monkey speed bag platform is good too. I mounted one at my brother in-laws basement and it was surprisingly solid with no weight on top. And it's only 110$. It all depends on how much you want to spend but for a hundred dollars these two are pretty solid. Even the most expensive platforms sometimes need the same sandbag on top that you would put on a 100$ platform.

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Good points!! Thanks!

What type of screw is used to mount the platform directly into the studs?
                  Personally I have used Lag Bolts like these.

Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...