• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leftync
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jan 2016

Hello

Just wanted to say hello. I'm a fairly old guy, 62, who boxed as an amateur more than 40 years ago. I keep a free-standing heavy bag and speed bag on a stand in my garage and enjoy both. Will be reviewing threads to try and improve my technique; I probably need to start with a smaller bag. I thought I was pretty good until I saw some of the videos.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by leftync View Post
    Just wanted to say hello. I'm a fairly old guy, 62, who boxed as an amateur more than 40 years ago. I keep a free-standing heavy bag and speed bag on a stand in my garage and enjoy both. Will be reviewing threads to try and improve my technique; I probably need to start with a smaller bag. I thought I was pretty good until I saw some of the videos.
    Hey Leftync,

Welcome to the forum. your 62? hmm, I can still remember when I was 62. but that was a while ago.....

IF you want to go "faster" then you are punching now on the speed bag, you might consider a smaller bag, but that also depends on your control. You can move to a smaller bag and if it's a bit difficult to control (requires faster motions and smaller swing arc) then you could let a bit of air out of it to slow it down a few clicks. that will also be a little easier on those "old hands", which have probably taken a beating over the years.

on this forum, "Good" is relative. Many baggers in here have created and mastered their own signature moves....and just tease the rest of us with it.
    ie.....Bag spins, body spins, bag traps, phantom punching combinations, elbow moves, double or triple bump combinations and vertical bagging routines. It's a real potpourri of creation under the board.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• stefoz
      • Apr 2015

welcome sir

Comment

• BaggerBob
        • Jun 2015

Hello,
        Father time is chasing all of us and catching some. It's a bitch!

I started with a 7x10 and quickly dumped it for a 6x9.

I think the 6x9 is perfect, heavy enough to feel like you are working it and small enough to go fast.

Comment

• leftync
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Jan 2016

Thanks, everyone. I didn't train with a speed bag when I boxed, but got into it later. In the 80s, I worked in downtown LA and joined the Main Street Gym to work out during lunch. Had to go to Big 5 and buy my own bag and swivel. Didn't appreciate the stability of a unit built into the wall until I started using a stand at home. Currently trying to stabilize it with sand.
          I'm reasonably good at the basics, but never realized just how much you can do with a speed bag until I saw Alan and others on video. I guess I'll try a few new moves with my current bag, which looks like a 9 X 6 Everlast, but doesn't have a model #. Feels (and smells) like leather. When I've got a few moves down, I'll look for something smaller.
          Not worried about the hands; I usually wear gloves, including an old pair of Everlast 4308s which I can't even remember buying. It's the heavy bag that does occasionally bother the joints when I forget to pull punches.

Comment

• rehamco1
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by leftync View Post
            Hi to me 62 is young I don't think of age when I hit the bag and welcome to the Forum.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...