• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LurchJr
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2006

What bag to buy next?

I'm new to the speedbag (I've been at it for a month or so, almost every day). I bought the set Everlast makes at Dick's and after a few mods (additional plywood on the drum, new bolts), I'm getting really satisfying workouts. The trouble is, I don't like the 9x6 vinyl bag that comes with the set, and I'd like to get either another 9x6 LEATHER bag, or an 8x5. I'm also thinking about also getting a BIGGER bag (11x8) because I enjoy really beating the hell out of the bag. Should I get the 9x6? Is the 8x5 more of a "trick" bag? Is the 11x8 a waste? Is the Everlast 4200 still a good bag?
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Bag to buy

Hi Lurch,

There are many good bags on the market. Yes, the Everlast 4200 is an excellent bag, but there are less expensive 9x6 bags that will serve you just as well.

TitleBoxing bags Any of these are good. You might try the 10x7 Blue bag for your power punching bag. The 11x8 is OK also, but if you have a 24 inch board it may come past the edge. Also, for a small fast version, try their Classic Speed bags

Top contender at Ringside This is a really nice, fast bag. did I say it was FAST? I also like its shape for the 9x6.

Any of these bags should work for you.
    Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• LurchJr
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Mar 2006

Thanks for the reply and the advice. I'm looking at the 12x10 and the fast 9x6. I figure I can pump it up to get some more speed out of it, though I like the shape of that 8x5 (yellow) bag. The Speedbag Bible is OUTSTANDING, by the way. It made a HUGE difference in my training almost immediately. I practice about 30+ min. per day (yes my hands are sore).

I'm going to be installing a 30" drum soon (I'm putting about 10 coats of poly on it right now) so I guess I won't be limited by size. I made the new drum out of some douglas fir 2x6's I had. Any advice on a swivel?

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Speed Bag swivel.

Originally posted by LurchJr
        Thanks for the reply and the advice. I'm looking at the 12x10 and the fast 9x6. I figure I can pump it up to get some more speed out of it, though I like the shape of that 8x5 (yellow) bag. The Speedbag Bible is OUTSTANDING, by the way. It made a HUGE difference in my training almost immediately. I practice about 30+ min. per day (yes my hands are sore).

I'm going to be installing a 30" drum soon (I'm putting about 10 coats of poly on it right now) so I guess I won't be limited by size. I made the new drum out of some douglas fir 2x6's I had. Any advice on a swivel?
        You mentioned in another post that you really liked the plastic Ballhook and it worked well after you glued the metal post into the ball. I would stick with that if it works well, because a ballhook gives the truest rebound.

that's my biased opinion. Hitting from all around the bag, every other swivel eventually messes with the rebound.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
        Working...