• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • negativelead
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2015

Contrast of the drum?

Hello all,
    I don't have a great mount. I paid 100$ bucks for it new, but its seen about 5 bags come and go now. So its held sturdy for the money. I'm working on my next option for an improved setup, but for now I have been thinking about buying the Title Gyro balanced bag.
    My concern is that the bag is black and so to is the drum of my mount. In fact, everything on the mount is black including the adjustable I-beam that is bolted to the wall at eye level. I don't lean towards it making that much of a difference, but I don't know for sure. Every bag I've ever owned had been red. So there has always been a sharp contrast.
    Has anyone else ever tried to hit a bag an identical color to the drum? If so how did it effect your skill?
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by negativelead View Post
    Hello all,
    I don't have a great mount. I paid 100$ bucks for it new, but its seen about 5 bags come and go now. So its held sturdy for the money. I'm working on my next option for an improved setup, but for now I have been thinking about buying the Title Gyro balanced bag.
    My concern is that the bag is black and so to is the drum of my mount. In fact, everything on the mount is black including the adjustable I-beam that is bolted to the wall at eye level. I don't lean towards it making that much of a difference, but I don't know for sure. Every bag I've ever owned had been red. So there has always been a sharp contrast.
    Has anyone else ever tried to hit a bag an identical color to the drum? If so how did it effect your skill?
    IMO, not at all. I imagine the contrast of the surface behind the bag is more important than color of the board.

In my own experience for many years I hated multi-colored bags and would not buy them. I hit all black or all red. My preferred bag from the early 1970's to the early 1990's was the Everlast 4200, a 9x6 black bag. Below is a sample of hitting the black bag on a black board. I can honestly say the board color was never an issue. then or now...

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• negativelead
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Speedbag View Post
      IMO, not at all. I imagine the contrast of the surface behind the bag is more important than color of the board.

In my own experience for many years I hated multi-colored bags and would not buy them. I hit all black or all red. My preferred bag from the early 1970's to the early 1990's was the Everlast 4200, a 9x6 black bag. Below is a sample of hitting the black bag on a black board. I can honestly say the board color was never an issue. then or now...

Very Helpful. Thank You!

That guy is wicked good

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by ventanakaz
        Hey Alan, What do you think of that guy, How Goods Is He
        I saw him on the bag again, just the other day.

He could use a little work
        Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Dutchman
          Speed Bag Historian
          • Jun 2006

He's still a darn site better than me

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
            He's still a darn site better than me
            You should have seen him 30 pounds ago.....

oh wait, you just did!
            Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Bag Man
              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by negativelead View Post
              Hello all,
              I do not hit the bag in the way that some folks on this board do, I'm pretty much front-to-back "boxing style," and as such I am not an expert in the finer points of bagging. As such I will defer to the experts.

But for what it's worth. I've heard that the speed bag develops hand-eye coordination. Perhaps this is true. However, I can hit pretty much with the same speed and accuracy with my eyes closed as opened. In my opinion proficiency is more a matter of muscle memory, muscle strength, rhythm, feel, getting your hands "working" together, and anticipating where the bag will be, than "seeing" the bag. A somewhat long winded way of saying that I do not think the color of the set up should matter much. For what it's worth, I've read that Cus D'Amato also took issue with the hand-eye coordination claim.

So, try hitting with your eyes closed, or the lights off if it is a dark room. See how you do. This might be a simple way to answer your question.

Respectfully,

The Bag Man
              "He [Marciano] was far and away the strongest man I've encountered."

Archie Moore

Comment

• Speedbag

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Bag Man View Post
                I do not hit the bag in the way that some folks on this board do, I'm pretty much front-to-back "boxing style," and as such I am not an expert in the finer points of bagging. As such I will defer to the experts.

But for what it's worth. I've heard that the speed bag develops hand-eye coordination. Perhaps this is true. However, I can hit pretty much with the same speed and accuracy with my eyes closed as opened. In my opinion proficiency is more a matter of muscle memory, muscle strength, rhythm, feel, getting your hands "working" together, and anticipating where the bag will be, than "seeing" the bag. A somewhat long winded way of saying that I do not think the color of the set up should matter much. For what it's worth, I've read that Cus D'Amato also took issue with the hand-eye coordination claim.

So, try hitting with your eyes closed, or the lights off if it is a dark room. See how you do. This might be a simple way to answer your question.

Respectfully,

The Bag Man
                You are probably right. Hitting the speed bag repetitively at even a slow speed is more "ear-hand" coordination than "eye-hand". However when using a more slower, "trapping the bag" style they eyes are much more important for picking your shots and aiming the punch.

I have often wondered how someone totally deaf would approach the speed bag. How well would you do if you could not "hear" the bag.
                Speed Bag

The Quest Continues...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• lowpolyjoe
                  • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Bag Man View Post
                  However, I can hit pretty much with the same speed and accuracy with my eyes closed as opened. In my opinion proficiency is more a matter of muscle memory, muscle strength, rhythm, feel, getting your hands "working" together, and anticipating where the bag will be, than "seeing" the bag.
                  I agree. When I first got a bag setup and watched a few videos I heard some people say they could hit with their eyes closed - I was skeptical.

I'm no expert, but after maybe a year of playing around, i see it's true. When I'm hitting for exercise and waiting for the round timer to go off i often zone-out and find myself staring at something else in the room other than the bag (usually the adjustment knob on the stand). Rhythm and muscle memory really has a lot to do with it - at least with the style i hit with.

I had a blue/green bag previously and now i have a black one. I don't think the color would impact me at all.

Good luck if you make the jump to a new bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                  Working...