New member coming in from heavy weight lifting.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NickNick
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jul 2015

New member coming in from heavy weight lifting.

Hello to all. I was told that I have to post a thread to remain a member.

My name is Nick Mendoza. I am 48 and live in Burbank, Calif. I have been weightlifting all my life. I really thought that I was in good shape from a muscle point of view.

I had to pass a running test for a job that I am recently applying for. I have to run 1.5 miles and I got my ass kicked. Failed it miserably. I still thought that I was in my glory days.

I could not run one lap at a consistent pace. I could run very fast for 1/8 of a lap and keep up with guys half my size. Push ups and sit ups were easy.

I had to work on cardio. It took me 7 months to run a 10 min. mile.

Started to jump rope and now want to hit the speed bag.

I came to read the recommendation and am very glad I did. I just ordered a Deville Swivel. I am starting to make plans to build a platform.

I am very happy to see so much information available on this forum.

Nick
  • Speedbag Seaweed Man
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2015

Yo Nick! Hey bro.
    I thought the same thing when I stumbled upon this forum.

That's a nice swivel you got yourself. I have three of them now and might even get a few more. Heheh

Comment

• BaggerBob
      • Jun 2015

Hello Nick,

I am a recent member too. I am also into semi-serious weight training.
      I find that adding muscle bulk has a tendency to slow reflexes.
      I wanted to add something to my training to even that out.
      The speed bag and double end bag is your friend.

BBob

Comment

• NickNick
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Jul 2015

I used to bench 400lbs and could not go up a flight of stairs.

Now, I am around 350. I run and suck wind. I am getting better but my flexibility is gone.

I am going to begin footwork and hitting the bag.

I am thinking about a 9x6 to start. What do you guys think?

Comment

• BaggerBob
          • Jun 2015

Originally posted by NickNick View Post
          Now, I am around 350. I run and suck wind. I am getting better but my flexibility is gone.

I am going to begin footwork and hitting the bag.

I am thinking about a 9x6 to start. What do you guys think?
          I've only been at it for a couple weeks and I had the same question when I bought mine. 9x6, or 10x7...I went for the 7x10 Title.
          This one http://www.ebay.com/itm/Title-Boxing...item58c7a992c7

I'm happy with my purchase, but I already know I will be buying a 6x9 in the near future when I get better at it.

I want the Balazs Lazer 6x9 for the next one, or maybe the Ringside 6x9.

As I progress I'll add the Title 5x8, but that is a way off.

About swivels, I started out on a chain link and just got a SwivelTek LTX Ball Hook Swivel. I can say for me, the chain link was easier to keep the bag going in one direction. Still, the ball and hook is the way to go.

The way I'm teaching myself,
          I spend a few minutes once or twice a day. Working different drills.
          Still have to get my retarded left arm up to speed.
          What I've learned, in 30 days, give or take, supposedly your nervous system reprograms while you sleep. One day it's supposed to click...I'm patiently waiting

I'm sure you'll get more opinions.
          Hope this helps.

Comment

• Zaza
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2011

Welcome to the forum...and the Speed Bag! You have found THE best place for all information, tips & tricks...and some great videos to keep us all inspired. Feel free to ask any questions and when you can, post some video, skill level makes no difference, we're all here because of our addiction to the Speed Bag!
            Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
            http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• KaiserSosa
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Oct 2014

Welcome to the forum Nick...great bunch of folks here and forum of knowledge as you already know.

I would also count myself semi serious in the love of the iron game as well with all my free weights set up stairs.

I find that hitting the bag is a great way to spend 2 to 4 minutes rest / recovery time between your sets.

You already have the rocking music going...hitting the bag after pounding out a new PR is a great way to fill the time between lifts imho.

Just gives the whole work out a nice continuous flow and some diversity.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
              Working...