• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aggie97
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Jun 2015

Beginners Workout

I am just days into my speed bag experience and am very addicted. Being new, I will admit that I know absolutely nothing and need all the help I can get. I have watched some videos online and been fortunate enough to find this forum. With that being said, I have a couple of questions I was hoping I could get some help with.

1. What is a good routine to start with to help build the skills necessary to be more proficient with the bag. Ultimately I want to build my speed and integrate some techniques that keep the bag fun.

2. I have been trying to learn some basic moves. One I need some advice on is the roll. How do I keep it consistent? After a couple of rolls, my bag goes everywhere. Is this due to my hands not overlapping enough or too much?

I appreciate everyone's advice and helping a newb who is just extremely excited to be on the speed bag. I am sure I will have other elementary questions later. Thanks.
  • Zaza
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2011

Welcome to the forum...and addiction!

For those rolls, remember to keep your elbows up...you almost form more of a "V" around the bag with your elbows which helps you keep control. Go slow to learn, the speed will come naturally.
    Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
    http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2015

Also keeping the bag trapped between your rolling fists and the board by not letting the bag come back to a straight up and down position. ( straight up and down- as in the angle the bag hangs when you aren't hitting it.) By keeping the bag bouncing from the board to your fists always on an angle away from you, the bag will find itself trapped in it's range of motion and can only go forward and back. If the bag is allowed to rebound all the way back to a straight up and down position, it gets a chance to pop off to the side and control is lost. You can do this by standing nice and close to the bag, with the fists below the swivel, so there is no room for the bag to escape. Start real slow, the bag doesn't even need to hit the board so long as it is tapping off each fist. Slowly increase the speed an force and it will DDDD bounce against the board and you are rolling

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
      Working...