Is the Whitely ball and hook supposed to be noisy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garyspeed
    • Jun 2015

Is the Whitely ball and hook supposed to be noisy?

Is it normal for the hook to make contact with the edge of the metal hole that the ball lives in? or is that part of the charm?

thanks
    Gary
  • Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Old school metal ball and hook swivels are noisy. They clack, loudly each time the bag hits the platform. It's metal on metal, and no where near a precision fit. It's normal for the hook to hit the edge of the ball socket. A lot of baggers are really into the combined sound of the swivel and the bag hitting the platform. Essentially it's like playing a drum. It's how punch drumming came about.
    Last edited by Dutchman; 06-16-2015, 10:29 PM.

Comment

• garyspeed
      • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
      Old school metal ball and hook swivels are noisy. They clack, loudly each time the bag hits the platform. It's metal on metal, and no where near a precision fit. It's normal for the hook to hit the edge of the ball socket. A lot of baggers are really into the combined sound of the swivel and the bag hitting the platform. Essentially it's like playing a drum. It's how punch drumming came about.
      Ok. So mine is not worn out or anything. Thats good to know .It seems that its the eyebolt that it hitting the edge of the hole. I measured the screw holes are 1.75" on center in square pattern. The holes on the everlast swivel I have are 2" so that swap is out without mods in case I dont like the noise. I havent tried it yet in earnest because I havent mounted the platform on the wall yet.I could see a rubber grommet in that hole would be nice.

thanks
      Gary

Comment

• Zaza
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2011

Somewhere there's a thread about this. It is perfectly normal. I remember the first Powermill Evil swivel I got & I called to ask if they were suppose to be THAT loud! Then it starts to grow on you. I did put a neoprene washed around the eyebolt and that helped a bit, but it wears out eventually.
        There is a certain beauty to that clanking sound and if you have headphones/earbuds on and music cranked, you can hear still hear it great for punchdrumming.

Then I got my first Deville Swivel....and with that you hear more of the bag on the board. NICE!

I also have an old swivel that is a ball & rope...all you hear is the bag on the board.

If it's really bugging you, get a Deville Swivel...and there's no going back.
        Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
        http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• garyspeed
          • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
          Somewhere there's a thread about this. It is perfectly normal. I remember the first Powermill Evil swivel I got & I called to ask if they were suppose to be THAT loud! Then it starts to grow on you. I did put a neoprene washed around the eyebolt and that helped a bit, but it wears out eventually.
          There is a certain beauty to that clanking sound and if you have headphones/earbuds on and music cranked, you can hear still hear it great for punchdrumming.

Then I got my first Deville Swivel....and with that you hear more of the bag on the board. NICE!

I also have an old swivel that is a ball & rope...all you hear is the bag on the board.

If it's really bugging you, get a Deville Swivel...and there's no going back.
          where can I get a Deville swivel and how much do they cost? Did you make the ball and rope swivel or are those also sold. I dont see much on ebay except everlast and some cheap looking ones. Can you point me to the right direction please?

Thanks
          Gary

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

MsDeville is a member of these boards, shoot her a PM and she'll send you all the pertinent information.

Comment

• Zaza
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2011

DevilleSwivels@gmail.com

She will take good care of you!

Comment

• Zaza
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2011

More on the ball & rope swivel:

Comment

• garyspeed
                  • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
                  Thats cool. I wonder if i got an extra ball for my Whitely, I could drill the hole all the way through and use a piece of paracord and use it with my existing swivel mount. But where would I find such a extra ball.

Comment

• Dutchman
                    Speed Bag Historian
                    • Jun 2006

McMaster Carr http://www.mcmaster.com/#

Comment

• garyspeed
                      • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                      thanks Dutch. All my life Ive wanted to have balls of steel and now I know where to get them.

Comment

• Zaza
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2011

Supplies Grand Brass Lamp Parts has served the Retail and Wholesale lamp parts, lighting parts, and chandelier parts industry since 1913. We are the oldest supplier of lamp making supplies in the USA

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                        Working...