X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • garyspeed
    • Jun 2015

Originally posted by BaggerBob View Post
    Get the 1/2"x 3", drill the hole 3 1/4" deep. Don't worry if you are in the hollow, the sleeve spreads out and will grab inside of the block.

Yes, way better holding power!

Tap con's are only held by the threads. They have good sheer strenght, but marginal holding power.

Bolt the pipe to the wall, it's already set up that way. You may want to adjust the height sometime.
    If I ever move the bag to a different location can the sleeve anchors be removed if need be or do they just get pushed into the the hollow and drop down the wall?

If I put the pipe then I will probably polish the pipe and the flange for easy adjustment. Maybe Ill put some quick release levers on there like what are on my drill press. That could be cool. There is the cool factor we cant forget that either. I like minimalistic but I also like cool.

Thanks.
    Gary

Comment

• BaggerBob
      • Jun 2015

Originally posted by garyspeed View Post
      If I ever move the bag to a different location can the sleeve anchors be removed if need be or do they just get pushed into the the hollow and drop down the wall?

Thanks.
      Gary
      They won't come out. You'll either pound them in, or have to cut them off and pound the rest in.

So you know...you install them through the steel with the nut flush with the threaded bolt.

Drill one hole, hold the pipe bracket up to the wall and push the anchor bolt into the wall. Tap it in if needed, so the washer is tight against the steel. Crank it down pretty snug.

Then you can swing it into place, plum it, and mark the other three holes.
      Swing it away again and drill the rest.

Hope this helps.

I've built everything you've ever seen. Been in construction all my life.

I wonder where that rig came from? It looks like it came out of and 'old school' boxing gym, maybe 50's/60's?
      It might have some history behind it? I love the vintage look.
      Maybe you shouldn't paint it...it's probably worth more in it's present condition.
      It would be a great decoration for a sports bar. Hang a vintage bag on it.
      Either way, you scored for 50$!
      Last edited by BaggerBob; 06-15-2015, 04:05 PM.

Comment

• garyspeed
        • Jun 2015

I've built everything you've ever seen. Been in construction all my life...
        that's what I needed to hear! Thanks!!

I dont know the history of it but I know that the tube is no original and someone did some welding the brackets on the tube. The tube says Lloyds India so its probably just a hunk of pipe (4.5 OD x 1/4 thick) that someone had laying around. The rest may be original but there are some small curious holes on top of the circle. Maybe it had a different mount on it at one point. Ill snap some pics.

Comment

• BaggerBob
          • Jun 2015

Here's a vintage platform 1924

Vintage 1924 Nonpareil Speedbag Platform with Vintage Man bagging

Last edited by BaggerBob; 06-15-2015, 04:17 PM.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2015

It is an awesome beast. Good stuff.

Comment

• garyspeed
              • Jun 2015

Here are some more pics. I dont know what the small holes were for.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by garyspeed; 06-15-2015, 04:30 PM.

Comment

• BaggerBob
                • Jun 2015

that's what I needed to hear! Thanks!!

I dont know the history of it but I know that the tube is no original and someone did some welding the brackets on the tube. The tube says Lloyds India so its probably just a hunk of pipe (4.5 OD x 1/4 thick) that someone had laying around. The rest may be original but there are some small curious holes on top of the circle. Maybe it had a different mount on it at one point. Ill snap some pics.
                I'm guessing it was mounted to a wood frame like in the vid

Comment

• BaggerBob
                  • Jun 2015

Here are some more pics. I dont know what the small holes were for.
                  Would you like to sell me the ball and hook swivel?

Comment

• garyspeed
                    • Jun 2015

a few more
                    Attached Files

Comment

• garyspeed
                      • Jun 2015

Would you like to sell me the ball and hook swivel?
                      Is mine a hard to find one? What time period do you think that swivel came from? It wasnt until i got it home that I even realized it had a swivel still on it. On the way home I was thinking where I was going to get a bag and a swivel.
                      I hope its a good kind. I rather like it because its made in usa and is vintage so Im not ready to sell yet. haha. What is the little set screw for by the way?

Thanks
                      Gary

Comment

• garyspeed
                        • Jun 2015

Here's a vintage platform 1924

Vintage 1924 Nonpareil Speedbag Platform with Vintage Man bagging

Thanks for the video. Thats the only vid I could find of a vintage speed bag being used. Not much info out there on them. I think Ill polish the edge where the bag makes contact.

Comment

• BaggerBob
                          • Jun 2015

Is mine a hard to find one? What time period do you think that swivel came from? It wasnt until i got it home that I even realized it had a swivel still on it. On the way home I was thinking where I was going to get a bag and a swivel.
                          I hope its a good kind. I rather like it because its made in usa and is vintage so Im not ready to sell yet. haha. What is the little set screw for by the way?

Thanks
                          Gary
                          The members here seem to love the ball and hook the best.
                          A good one is hard to come by and people are waiting in line for them.

Comment

• garyspeed
                            • Jun 2015

I guess I just got lucky. Ill take it as a sign.

When I walked up the driveway to look at the everlast bag this lady was selling, she just mentioned in passing that there was another frame that was thrown away.

I was quiet for a moment and then asked about it and she said she thinks it might be still sitting out by the garbage cans.

She offered to show it to me and I saw it sitting there, pathetic, rusted, neglected, abandoned, abused... need I go on? Its ribs were showing. I saw all the rust and immediately was overcome by an urge to sand wire wheel it off and paint it.

As I contemplated what price I would offer her for it she said, "Take it with you maybe you can do something with it".. So into the trunk it went.

Then she resumed showing me the everlast bag that I came there to buy. I didnt really even want it anymore but I didnt know if the rusted one would come back to life. I mean there must have been a reason why it was in the garbage right? So I happily paid her the asking price and left with two platforms.

When I got home I saw the ball and hook swivel and thats when I knew I had a shot and getting this thing going again.

My dad likes the new one better but I am liking the rusted one. Its going to look great in the garage with the pipe polished, quick release bolts for adjusting the height and the rest painted semi gloss black.

I also feel lucky that I found this board. You guys are great.

Thanks
                            Gary
                            Last edited by garyspeed; 06-15-2015, 05:10 PM.

Comment

• Dutchman
                              Speed Bag Historian
                              • Jun 2006

The swivel is a definitely a Whitely No Jump, which is one of the desirable collectable swivels out there. The more that I look at the rebound ring, the more that I think that it was a home made one, or one that has been heavily modified to mount on a post, like the ones that are used to support floor joists

Comment

• garyspeed
                                • Jun 2015

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
                                The swivel is a definitely a Whitely No Jump, which is one of the desirable collectable swivels out there. The more that I look at the rebound ring, the more that I think that it was a home made one, or one that has been heavily modified to mount on a post, like the ones that are used to support floor joists
                                very interesting.so maybe it was removed from its floor joist post in a gym and then a short post was made to mount on a wall. Im still trying to figure out why it was in the garbage and the new everlast platform was installed. I do not know if it was ever mounted on this guys wall or not. Maybe he thought it was too heavy for the wall. There must be something wrong with it.
                                When I clean it up i will look for a brand or trademark but I do not expect to find any.
                                thanks
                                Gary
                                Last edited by garyspeed; 06-16-2015, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                                Working...