• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Speedbag Seaweed Man
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2015

New platform project

My Slab of timber arrived today, it is a piece of redwood, 810mm ( 32" ) square and 65mm ( 2 1/2" ) thick. I was pleased to see there are no knots or flaws in this solid bit of wood.
    So I am in the process of deciding what shape to have. There are plenty of circle ones out there that all look cool, but i'm thinking maybe a sided shape, like a pentagon, hexagon and so on. agon
    Which shape do you think I should cut it into? Don't say triangle.
    Next I will cut the shape and get sanding..
    Attached Files
  • Speedbag Seaweed Man
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2015

Yeah I have seen that on your page, I like how your baggin has made a stain in a circle around the swivel where the bags have been rebounding. If I put some kind of fancy clear coating on do you rekon I will still get that stain to stick? Hope so, it looks Boss.

Comment

• Biff
      Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

SSM, great looking block of wood. I cast my vote for a hexagon. Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Biff View Post
        SSM, great looking block of wood. I cast my vote for a hexagon. Good luck and let us know what you decide.
        OOh, I am leaning towards cutting it into a 9-gon with concave sides...
        Or the same thing, concave sides but with a septagon.
        Here are a few sketches.
        Attached Files

Comment

• paranday
          Speed Bag Guru
          • Sep 2009

I vote for the 9-gon..

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

Ringside back in the 1980's sold an octagonal platform. It was IMHO a way to utilize the most out a 4x8 sheet material versus a round one, that or the shop making them didn't have an efficient way of cutting 24" particle board circles consistently.

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
              Speed Bag Guru
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
              Ringside back in the 1980's sold an octagonal platform. It was IMHO a way to utilize the most out a 4x8 sheet material versus a round one, that or the shop making them didn't have an efficient way of cutting 24" particle board circles consistently.
              That's interesting, the only shapes other than circle seem to be on the home built ones these days. A circle may be even easier to cut with the right setup, there is just one cut to be made it just goes right around. If you had a pivot point it wouldn't even need marking out.
              I am going to cut this one into the 9 sided shape.
              Reason being the less sides, the more wastage. I like the uneven number of sides as imo it looks more circular in shape still. Also the less number of sides the nearer the bag will come to the edge of the board.
              Off to buy a new jigsaw blade then..

Comment

• Zaza
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2011

nineagon, tenagon, what ever it takes! ;-P
                Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
                http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• ozzy
                  • Mar 2015

Originally posted by Speedbag Seaweed Man View Post
                  That's interesting, the only shapes other than circle seem to be on the home built ones these days. A circle may be even easier to cut with the right setup, there is just one cut to be made it just goes right around. If you had a pivot point it wouldn't even need marking out.
                  I am going to cut this one into the 9 sided shape.
                  Reason being the less sides, the more wastage. I like the uneven number of sides as imo it looks more circular in shape still. Also the less number of sides the nearer the bag will come to the edge of the board.
                  Off to buy a new jigsaw blade then..
                  Wow, that lovely block of wood turned into a concave nonagon will look fantastic - but I have a thing about odd numbers so I'd have to vote for a concave decagon. Whatever you choose it's gunna look cool - can't wait to see it when you've finished.

Good luck - Ozzy

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Apr 2015

Cut the shape out. Now onto sanding...
                    Attached Files

Comment

• ozHarris
                      Speed Bag Trainee
                      • May 2015

Looks heavy and solid..
                      Nice..

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                      Working...