• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tl12356
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • May 2015

Swivel/ Bag Height

Getting antsy.....
    Waiting on order from Title to be delivered.
    I want to be certain of the the total height of a Title Advanced 6x9 and a Pro Swivel setup in order for me to set my platform elevation.
    Any ideas out there short of me just waiting by the mail box.
    I feel like a little kid sometimes...I guess that's a good thing.
  • Speedbag Seaweed Man
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2015

I don't have that bag, or the same swivel but my 5x8 Title gold bag hanging from a Deville # 13 swivel measures 245mm or 91/2 inches from the platform surface down to the widest point on the bag. (level with my mouth) These yellow title bags have their widest part quite low on the bag compared to pictures I have seen of the title advanced bag, but a 6x9 bag being longer than a 5x8 bag would hang lower by an inch or so I would imagine. Don't make the mistake of hanging your rig too low! A wee bit high and you can always stand on a square of ply. Is your platform an adjustable one, giving you some lee way?

Comment

• Speedbag
      Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by tl12356 View Post
      Getting antsy.....
      Waiting on order from Title to be delivered.
      I want to be certain of the the total height of a Title Advanced 6x9 and a Pro Swivel setup in order for me to set my platform elevation.
      Any ideas out there short of me just waiting by the mail box.
      I feel like a little kid sometimes...I guess that's a good thing.
      If your platform is adjustable, just be sure it's over your head. The ideal "position" of the bag will not change, not matter what size the bag. The belly should be at about your mouth Adjust the board up or down to put the belly of any size bag in that area. For a board that is too high and won't come down far enough, get something to stand on to raise yourself up. Boxers (and others who mainly use boxers punching speed bags as their guide) will put the belly of the bag waaay up at the forehead or higher, in (1) some misguided belief that this is better for helping you hold your hands up while punching to protect the face (I suppose) or (2) train the shoulders better while punching the speed bag (holding the fists/arms up is mainly a shoulder function)

The first (#1) might be correct, and perhaps helpful if you are a competitive boxer, and hit the speed bag more from a real boxing stance instead of the more typical speed bag stance standing parallel (face front) to the bag. This stance should never be used in the ring and is a poor stance to defend yourself from as well as mediocre for producing hard powerful punching. That is more what the heavy bag is for. Sure, you can hit the speed bag fast and accurately from a boxer (fighting) stance (top picture) but the distance that each individual fist must travel to the bag is different so the timing for each fist punching repetitively differs, and if the bag is set higher (for a taller opponent or "to help hold the hands up") than the ability to hit "Bible Style" (from all around the bag repetitively with fists and elbows) is almost impossible due to height, fist motions variations of punching distances. You can certainly work on fast front punching combinations, and a good deal of footwork in this stance, but for full out punching from all around the bag, it is a poor choice of stance and bag position.

The Second (#2 ..train shoulder better) might be true if you really hold the fists high, perhaps with heavy gloves, but... Many boxers that do this also try to hold the elbows down to protect their sides, VERY important in the ring, but useless when hitting the speed bag (speed bags don't punch to the ribs) and trying to build shoulder endurance without fully engaging the main shoulder muscle that elevates the arm (supraspinatus) is also poor kinesiology. Holding the elbow "up" in an elevated position close to 90 degrees is far more strenuous of the that muscle. It is not the main punching muscle when circling the fist from the elbow, but it is the main supportive muscle to hold the arm up and allow for the most efficient position for linking the fists through the bag. As a result of that alignment you will find it much easier to pass the fists through the bag to all sides, while maintaining a near constant contraction of that muscle. Basically, hitting the speed bag in the classic speed bag parallel facing position with the arms help up (elbow up and out from the body) is a more efficient position for Bible Style punching AND will have that side (lateral) head of your shoulder screaming with lactic acid burn, far more than hitting with the elbows down. To me that is a much better way to train for shoulder conditioning than punching for the same amount of time with the fists held up and elbows down close to your sides.

Boxers, and boxing coaches, may disagree (some do..) but that's my view and I'm sticking to it.
      Last edited by Speedbag; 05-11-2015, 11:25 PM.
      Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
      *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
      The Quest Continues...
      Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Apr 2015

I wish I had found this forum when I was building my first platform, I read ill advice and ended up with the bag level with the forehead. And it was a big bag too. Very soon after I built a step for me to stand on haha

Comment

• ozHarris
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • May 2015

Originally posted by Speedbag Seaweed Man View Post
          I wish I had found this forum when I was building my first platform, I read ill advice and ended up with the bag level with the forehead. And it was a big bag too. Very soon after I built a step for me to stand on haha
          I am setting up my first platform tomorrow.. I am glad I found this forum.
          I was going to follow a YouTube video saying the bottom of the bag needed to be inline with my forehead similar to Speedbag Seaweed Man...

Thanks guys...

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
          Working...