• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Porter
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Mar 2015

chasing the bag,

Hi Guys,
    I am working on a youtube account to upload some videos, it wont be long.

In the mean time, at the moment, i am just working the bag as a boxer, no 'tricks'. Walk before i can run, get to know the behavior of my 9x6 etc.
    My hand speed is good and i can really move the bag along now,
    12 x 3min rounds 4 days a week, is the usual minimum.

When i mean hand speed, i am using the Moby song 'Flower' as my fast sets, if you're familiar with the song, you can kind of get the idea, in double time...if that makes sense.

But as i get fast, i feel like i am chasing the bag away from me, like i can't get it to come back to me fast enough for the next strike and as such chasing the bag. I am in a sense having to hit the bag 'behind' its natural hanging point as opposed to when it is at its closest point to me.
    i am using the 3-bounce between strike style, not the 1-bounce between strike style.

My bag is inflated to a point where if i give it a squeeze i can make a dent, but not squash it.

I have a 9x6 leather bag on a Jim Bradley swivel, mounted to a stand alone stand as shown and the hinge pin is tightened enough to allow the bag ti swing freely without friction.

Am i looking at a technique issue or an equipment issue do you think?
    I will get a video up as soon as I can to accompany my questions.

Thanks everyone!

Jeff
    Attached Files
  • Speedbag Seaweed Man
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2015

Hi Porter. Cool question- I am sure some of the many experienced baggers on here will keep you on track with awesome advice. I had a few thoughts when I read your question. Hard to offer any suggestions without seeing the swing movement, sound etc. The normal angle for the bag to be on at the moment the strike connects is as the bag is first returning from the rebound and is at around a 45% angle, on it's way back towards you. Maybe a bit more than 45 degrees but definitely less than 90 degrees [ the angle the bag hangs at when not being hit] or a miss hit is likely to occur. By hitting the bag consistently at this moment [shortly after the bounce off the platform and as the bag is on the way back toward you], the rythmic sound we all love is made. A very even sound so long as each swing is the same speed and each strike the same power. So as you speed up in theory the even sound gets faster but you are still connecting with the bag when it is at the same angle. The faster you go the less time you have to get this timing right, I like to watch the swivel more the the bag but it's the sound that lets you know if you are on time or not. My other thought until we can see the vid is the stance you are using on the bag. Is it a quite a covered guard position, like a peek-a-boo style with the forearms upright and the fists near the face? This position with the elbows low in relation to the fist [and the bag] can easily lead to being late on the punch and either a miss hit, or the feeling of chasing the bag to make up for lost time. Most baggers keep the elbows high, forearms pretty much level. Besides making contact with the elbows way easier the fist will often drop to elbow level on the strike and keeping them up makes it easier to hit the sweet spot on the bag each time. Don't be shy on here bro- looking forward to seeing your video

Comment

• Speedbag Seaweed Man
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Apr 2015

Looking forward to watching your videos. Need more videos, I think I have seen them all on you tube so far. More the merrier!

Comment

• Speedbag
        Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Porter View Post
        Hi Guys,

...My hand speed is good and i can really move the bag along now, 12 x 3min rounds 4 days a week, is the usual minimum.

When i mean hand speed, i am using the Moby song 'Flower' as my fast sets, if you're familiar with the song, you can kind of get the idea, in double time...if that makes sense.

Jeff
        "in double time if that makes sense." Indeed that does makes sense and you are correct. The groove of this song allows for "a lot" of bagging variation, from straight time basic punching to straight time syncopated combinations, or jump to double time with both, or mix and match.

Mixing different styles of punching on this song will demand excellent control of your power and bag speed, for there are significant bag speed changes when this happens. Going "up" tempo Is easy.. (punch harder), going "down" demands much more control for you will need to kill the bag speed in a punch or two...which we punch drummers call "dead handing the bag", which is an acquired skill to slow the bag down.

(..better have your afterburners on with a small bag and solid board for doubletime syncopated. ...or call matthew "speedbag ataraxis") But all doable.

I was not familiar with this song, and like it a lot. hmm.

But as i get fast, i feel like i am chasing the bag away from me, like i can't get it to come back to me fast enough for the next strike and as such chasing the bag. I am in a sense having to hit the bag 'behind' its natural hanging point as opposed to when it is at its closest point to me.

i am using the 3-bounce between strike style, not the 1-bounce between strike style.

ONE BOUNCE is actually Fist Rolling, which you can do at various speeds with the song. If you mean passing fists through the bag that is actually 2 rebounds. The first is accented, the second un-punched or swinging rebound is much softer.

My bag is inflated to a point where if i give it a squeeze i can make a dent, but not squash it.

I have a 9x6 leather bag on a Jim Bradley swivel, mounted to a stand alone stand as shown and the hinge pin is tightened enough to allow the bag to swing freely without friction.

Am i looking at a technique issue or an equipment issue do you think?
        I will get a video up as soon as I can to accompany my questions.

Thanks everyone!

Jeff
        Looking at the equipment picture you have I would say you definitely have an equipment issue. A long bag on a shaky single pole floor stand. Yep, that's a speed killer.

If you can hear the bag beats at the various speeds with this song, and punch to it in triplet rhythm I would think you could handle it well with a solid set up.

IMO anyway.

Last edited by Speedbag; 05-02-2015, 11:26 AM.
        Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
        *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
        The Quest Continues...
        Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Hi Porter. Yes, I agree with Speedbag. You definitely have an equipment issue. Unfortunately, those freestanding units will end up frustrating the bagger because you just can't get a good rebound.

Along with what Alan was saying, I also noticed that it looks like you are hitting the bag on the part of the drum that has no support at all. This will REALLY suck any rebounding from the bag, especially from a larger bag on a long swivel.

If you're handy with a few power tools and some lumber, you might be able to beef it up by putting some 2x4's from the ceiling down to the top of the drum to brace it, making it more stable.

Or, if you can't do this, maybe a nylon strap slung over the top of the drum and securing the strap to the floor on either side of the drum.

Here is an image from Alan's website to show you what I'm referring to: www.speedbagcentral.com, showing the strap method:

I hope this helps in your quest to improve your speed bag experience. I look forward to seeing your progess.
          Attached Files
          sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
          I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Speedbag
            Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
            Hi Porter. Yes, I agree with Speedbag. You definitely have an equipment issue. Unfortunately, those freestanding units will end up frustrating the bagger because you just can't get a good rebound.

Along with what Alan was saying, I also noticed that it looks like you are hitting the bag on the part of the drum that has no support at all. This will REALLY suck any rebounding from the bag, especially from a larger bag on a long swivel.

If you're handy with a few power tools and some lumber, you might be able to beef it up by putting some 2x4's from the ceiling down to the top of the drum to brace it, making it more stable.

Or, if you can't do this, maybe a nylon strap slung over the top of the drum and securing the strap to the floor on either side of the drum.

Here is an image from Alan's website to show you what I'm referring to: www.speedbagcentral.com, showing the strap method:

I hope this helps in your quest to improve your speed bag experience. I look forward to seeing your progess.
            Great point and I agree
            Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
            *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
            The Quest Continues...
            Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
            Working...