Having trouble finding a compatible swivel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lagavulin16yr
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Feb 2015

Having trouble finding a compatible swivel.

Hi there! I'm glad this forum exists, it looks like a great community.

I've recently started getting into using a speed bag. My gym has a variety of speed bag mounts and I want to bring my own bag.

When asking the owner what mount to get, he said Everlast, but I haven't been able to find a suitable Everlast mount. Most of the new Everlast mounts don't look like they are compatible with the mounts at the gym.

Here is a collection of photos from the gym, I was hoping somebody could point me to the correct swivel to buy. I would like to find the same swivel that fits into this mount.

• Dutchman
    Speed Bag Historian
    • Jun 2006

Yeah, they're using the old school Everlast roller chain link swivels. They haven't been made for about twenty years now. For a while some of the Ringside swivels were compatible , but I'm not sure now. What's critical on these is the thread size. It was a standard NPS as I recall. The new ones are metric. Your best bet is going to be trolling eBay and Craigslist for used ones.

Comment

• reggabdeeps
      • Jun 2011

Had the same problem years ago at my old gym, Dutchman is right. I went as far as buying a whole board off Craigslist just for the swivel.... now I'm at a new gym, different swivel, new problem, new thread.
      Last edited by reggabdeeps; 02-10-2015, 04:10 AM.

Comment

• lagavulin16yr
        Speed Bag Trainee
        • Feb 2015

Thanks guys, I figured as much. Pretty disappointing that there's no standard. I'll keep looking!

Comment

• Eric
          • May 2014

Why not replace the base as well ? A Deville #13 should screw right into the holes that will be there after removing the base.

Comment

• lagavulin16yr
            Speed Bag Trainee
            • Feb 2015

Originally posted by Eric View Post
            Why not replace the base as well ? A Deville #13 should screw right into the holes that will be there after removing the base.
            Hey Eric, I'd love to, but this is for my local gym. I've been emailing the owner to see what they can do, but for now my only choice is to find a compatible screw-in swivel.

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Originally posted by lagavulin16yr View Post
              Hi there! I'm glad this forum exists, it looks like a great community.

When asking the owner what mount to get, he said Everlast, but I haven't been able to find a suitable Everlast mount. Most of the new Everlast mounts don't look like they are compatible with the mounts at the gym.
              You definitely could solve the swivel problem by talking the gym owner into getting a ball-hook swivel. Makes it so much easier to use your own bag. It's so quick to swap out a bag using an S-hook instead of dealing with the pin on those chain-link swivels or a cotter pin on the u-bolt swivels. Just sayin'

Originally posted by lagavulin16yr View Post
              Hey Eric, I'd love to, but this is for my local gym. I've been emailing the owner to see what they can do, but for now my only choice is to find a compatible screw-in swivel.
              I'd be willing to send the gym owner some information on the swivel that my partner and I build and sell – the Deville No.13 ball-hook swivel. Feel free to send his email address to me. Or, you can give him my address: devilleswivels@gmail.com.

In the meantime, good luck in your search.
              sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
              I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                Exactly. Those base threads might also be stripped, who knows. Trying to forcefully screw a mismatched bottom part into it could easily ruin those soft threads. It happened in several gyms I use to visit in Memphis and Georgia. mysteriously one day the base was removed and a new swivel was found hanging on the board. Those where the days when the swivel gods smiled.

(late at night with a screw driver.. )
                Last edited by Speedbag; 02-13-2015, 06:42 AM.
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...