• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • browski
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Oct 2014

My First Platform Build

First off, a big thank you to this community. I've lurked for months trying to figure out the best way to go with a speed bag platform. In my younger years, I had one of the cheap platforms from Sports Authority and it worked for all of about a month before I rendered it unusable from my inability to successfully anchor it to the wall. Younger me didn't understand simple building construction and anchoring to studs never crossed my mind.

After putting my dreams of a out of mind for a couple of decades, my gym ditched the heavy bag for a speed bag and I rekindled my love for the rhythm. Again, my desires burned out quickly as I popped the bladder of the cheap bag one afternoon and the owner didn't get it fixed.

I realized that if I wanted to have a nice speed bag, I am an adult now and I can get myself a nice speed bag. So I browsed the interwebs and I stumbled upon this site. I watched videos and checked out recommendations and settled on the idea of building my own platform.

Finally, this morning, after all the stain and lacquer dried, I hung my speed bag and worked up a sweat to the sweet rhythm of leather rebounding off of wood. I have to admit, I was skeptical, but this is the most sturdy thing I have ever built and it doesn't even flinch when I go to work on it.

It cost me about $100, including the bag and swivel. It can be done under $75 with no stain and a cheaper swivel. My only modification will be some lighting. The platform creates a shadow with my current overhead lights and I guess my eyes aren't what they used to be.

Questions or suggestions are welcome as you all started me on this journey. I just thought it fitting to include you at the finish.
    Attached Files
  • rehamco1
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2013

nice set up

that looks like a real nice set up. would love to see a video of you in action.

glad you found the forum.
    bag on

Comment

• MsDeville

• Oct 2009

Welcome to the neighborhood browski. Great looking platform! That is one of the best designs for guaranteeing a solid platform, imo. A really cheap "fix" for lighting is one of those lights on a cord with the aluminum shade and a clamp that can be attached anywhere. I've attached one right to my platform in the past. Works great if the platform is solid.
      sigpic Contact me anytime for information about Deville Swivels Email: DevilleSwivels@gmail.com
      I'm also on Facebook: www.facebook.com/DevilleSwivels | www.facebook.com/SpeedBagAddicts

Comment

• Del-Striking
        • Aug 2014

Real nice, looks like a piece of furniture in the room.
        I do have a question. How is the drum attached It looks like it might be screwed directly into the supports above as opposed to bolts with nuts?
        Last edited by Del-Striking; 10-09-2014, 12:12 PM.

Comment

• browski
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Oct 2014

Originally posted by rehamco1 View Post
          that looks like a real nice set up. would love to see a video of you in action.

glad you found the forum.
          bag on
          Thanks! I have to get used to the smaller bag and I'll definitely get a video up for some critique!

Originally posted by MsDeville View Post
          Welcome to the neighborhood browski. Great looking platform! That is one of the best designs for guaranteeing a solid platform, imo. A really cheap "fix" for lighting is one of those lights on a cord with the aluminum shade and a clamp that can be attached anywhere. I've attached one right to my platform in the past. Works great if the platform is solid.
          Thank you! I didn't think about a clip on light, that would be perfect!

Originally posted by Del-Striking View Post
          Real nice, looks like a piece of furniture in the room.
          I do have a question. How is the drum attached It looks like it might be screwed directly into the supports above as opposed to bolts with nuts?
          Thank you! I did use screws all around. I thought about going with bolts, but I don't have a drill press and I would have needed to drill through the long edge of the side support 2x4s. I didn't trust myself with that. I used 3.5" screws along three of the supports and 2" along the front. Do you think over time it will work itself loose? I have two more brackets that I was going to use to secure it further if it wobbled, but it appears to be rock solid so far.

Comment

• Zaza
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Apr 2011

That's a beautiful build and fits the room perfectly....nice job! ...and welcome to the forum, glad to see you back at it. Please do post video soon so we can see you (and the platform) in action.
            I just got my Balazs mounted in the living room (still have the basement and garage platforms too)...the cat seems to love it (as do I)!
            Attached Files
            Art of the Bag - A Speed Bag Story
            http://www.artofthebag.com

Comment

• browski
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Zaza View Post
              That's a beautiful build and fits the room perfectly....nice job! ...and welcome to the forum, glad to see you back at it. Please do post video soon so we can see you (and the platform) in action.
              I just got my Balazs mounted in the living room (still have the basement and garage platforms too)...the cat seems to love it (as do I)!
              Thanks! Your living room setup looks really nice too! I bet if my cats can find a way up there, I will find them sleeping on top one day soon. I do wish I could have devised a way to make mine adjustable. Maybe on a future build.

Comment

• Zaza
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Apr 2011

You know, adjustable is nice, but I found that there's not that much difference between a 9x6 and 8x5 bag (that's what I use pretty much all the time)...and if need be for an even smaller bag, just build a little platform to stand on.

You really do have a beautiful platform there...again, great job... now I have to go hit for a few minutes...cheers!

Oh... and I still need to paint the mounts to match the walls.

Comment

• Zaza
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Apr 2011

I just noticed... you could probably adapt something like this:

Comment

• rehamco1
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Aug 2013

You know, adjustable is nice, but I found that there's not that much difference between a 9x6 and 8x5 bag (that's what I use pretty much all the time)...and if need be for an even smaller bag, just build a little platform to stand on.

You really do have a beautiful platform there...again, great job... now I have to go hit for a few minutes...cheers!

I too need to paint my bag mount well just to paint it mine is in my garage If the neighborhood cats knew it was there I am sure they would nest on top of my board. I stand on a platform all the time only way I can reach my bag an adjustable one would be heaven. bag on

Comment

• Del-Striking
                      • Aug 2014

Check this out for minor height adjustment issues when changing from small ball to bigger bag.

Comment

• Zaza
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Apr 2011

^^^ That works!

Comment

• browski
                          Speed Bag Trainee
                          • Oct 2014

I just noticed... you could probably adapt something like this:
                          http://www.speedbagforum.com/forums/...42&postcount=7
                          That looks really cool! I don't think it would be a tough conversion. Thanks for the link.

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                          Working...