X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Del-Striking
    • Aug 2014

S-hook removal

Can any give me a tip on how to remove the S-hook from the eye ring on an old everlasting swivel. I'd like to replace it with a zip tie and see how I like that. Thanks.
  • Speedbag
    Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by Del-Striking View Post
    Can any give me a tip on how to remove the S-hook from the eye ring on an old everlasting swivel. I'd like to replace it with a zip tie and see how I like that. Thanks.
    I have never heard of a way to do that other than cutting it off.

Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
    *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
    The Quest Continues...
    Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• fedora
      Speed Bag Guru
      • Dec 2012

Rather than messing up your S hook, just loosen the set screw and remove the eye and hook. Go to the hardware store and buy an eye bolt that will fit into the ball. You will probably have to cut it off to the right length. Before you put it into the ball take some vise grips and and a screw driver and separate the eye far enough to slide a zip tie into it. I've done this and rather than a zip tie I put a narrow leather strap into it. I use it all the time. Here's a few examples with and without the strap.

fedora
      Last edited by fedora; 10-08-2014, 10:34 AM.

Comment

• paranday
        Speed Bag Guru
        • Sep 2009

I use a drift pin to open up eyes. Easy.

Comment

• Biff
          Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

I use the leather strap that Fedora posted about. It takes a few weeks to "soften" up the leather to where I like it.

Comment

• fedora
            Speed Bag Guru
            • Dec 2012

I experimented for over a year to find the swivel I liked. From other peoples ideas and parts I came up with one I really like. I took a brass Deville ball and put it in a plastic Everlast base and then put the eye with the leather strap into the ball. It's very quiet and doesn't hang up. The reason I used the Everlast base is because the ball sits just low enough in it that I put a small washer on top of it and it eliminates any "clunk" if I'm off a bit on a hit. I've used the Deville base too, but the ball sits a little lower and I have to put some small ball bearings on the top to get it to fit right. In the Everlast base it fits perfect with just the washer.

fedora
            Last edited by fedora; 10-08-2014, 01:41 PM.

Comment

• Del-Striking
              • Aug 2014

Thanks for the excellent suggestions, so here's what I did. First of all this is not my primary platform this is the old one that I put out in the garage. I wouldn't think of messing with the new Deville that Ms. Dee sent me.
              So I didn't have a drift pin but I do have a stationary vice and a screw driver which opened up the S hook enough to remove it from the eye. I replaced the Everlast ball and eye with my old Deville Brass ball and eye and dropped it into my Everlast base plate and put a zip tie on for now. Eventually I'd like to try the leather strap. You know I'll have to say I'm kinda liking it. Smooth, not as much slop in the ball base plate movement, a little quieter and tailored to the right length.
              Thanks again Gentlemen for helping me to think outside the box and turn an old piece of equipment into a custom rig that in my opinion is better than stock for sure.

Comment

• Del-Striking
                • Aug 2014

Here's how it looks. Thanks again folks
                Attached Files

Comment

• fedora
                  Speed Bag Guru
                  • Dec 2012

How's it working? I tried the zip tie but found they don't last long and the bag would go flying off when it broke. The leather hasn't broke yet.

fedora

Comment

• paranday
                    Speed Bag Guru
                    • Sep 2009

Originally posted by fedora View Post
                    How's it working? I tried the zip tie but found they don't last long and the bag would go flying off when it broke. The leather hasn't broke yet.

fedora
                    I found the same thing with zip ties. I've settled on 550 Paracord, which is cheap, flexible, and durable. But it is also slippery and requires special knots in my experience or the bag goes sailing. If it weren't for that I might promote the rotating eyebolt type swivel which I use, but think the knot skills needed would be seen as a hassle. I have to look up how to tie the knot I use on youtube each time if too much time goes by, and Paracord is long lasting so the tricky knot is usually not remembered.

There, more than you cared to know.

Comment

• Del-Striking
                      • Aug 2014

fedora
                      It works fine, I don't spend a lot of time on this rig. Paranday has got me thinking again. What about some cord and heat shrink tubing to seal the ends?
                      The seal'd ends would sit inside the bag loop. You would need an eye hook that has enough opening to slide this off as the cord and bag would be semi- permanent until time to cut it off. the problem with the deville ball and eye is that the eye hook is welded into the ball with no set screw and the eye opening is also welded closed. But if the cord heat shrink thing works it's not such a big deal to cut it off when the time arises. I still like the leather strap idea though.

Comment

• paranday
                        Speed Bag Guru
                        • Sep 2009

I open up the eye just enough to pass the paracord through, it's a very snug fit. Otherwise the bag can go flying. I tie a paracord loop 'permanently' onto each bag, and if I want use a standard ball hook swivel the paracord loop can be pushed aside, it doesn't get in the way.

I use stainless steel eyebolts and a stainless steel dry (lube free) bearing. Below is a video of the knot I use, and a photo of bag attached to this type of swivel via paracord.

Attached Files

Comment

• Del-Striking
                          • Aug 2014

Originally posted by paranday View Post
                          I open up the eye just enough to pass the paracord through, it's a very snug fit. Otherwise the bag can go flying. I tie a paracord loop 'permanently' onto each bag, and if I want use a standard ball hook swivel the paracord loop can be pushed aside, it doesn't get in the way.

I use stainless steel eyebolts and a stainless steel dry (lube free) bearing. Below is a video of the knot I use, and a photo of bag attached to this type of swivel via paracord.

very interesting, that knot is brilliant easy on easy off.

Comment

• drag-on389
                            • May 2014

P
                            I experimented for over a year to find the swivel I liked. From other peoples ideas and parts I came up with one I really like. I took a brass Deville ball and put it in a plastic Everlast base and then put the eye with the leather strap into the ball. It's very quiet and doesn't hang up. The reason I used the Everlast base is because the ball sits just low enough in it that I put a small washer on top of it and it eliminates any "clunk" if I'm off a bit on a hit. I've used the Deville base too, but the ball sits a little lower and I have to put some small ball bearings on the top to get it to fit right. In the Everlast base it fits perfect with just the washer.

fedora
                            Originally posted by Del-Striking View Post
                            Thanks for the excellent suggestions, so here's what I did. First of all this is not my primary platform this is the old one that I put out in the garage. I wouldn't think of messing with the new Deville that Ms. Dee sent me.
                            So I didn't have a drift pin but I do have a stationary vice and a screw driver which opened up the S hook enough to remove it from the eye. I replaced the Everlast ball and eye with my old Deville Brass ball and eye and dropped it into my Everlast base plate and put a zip tie on for now. Eventually I'd like to try the leather strap. You know I'll have to say I'm kinda liking it. Smooth, not as much slop in the ball base plate movement, a little quieter and tailored to the right length.
                            Thanks again Gentlemen for helping me to think outside the box and turn an old piece of equipment into a custom rig that in my opinion is better than stock for sure.
                            I was wondering if you guys were still using the modified everlast plastic base. I put a steel ball and a washer in mine but I did not put a strap on it. The swivel became almost the perfect swivel. It did remove the slop and is not as noticeable when I miss hit. Is it even better with the leather strap?

Comment

• fedora
                              Speed Bag Guru
                              • Dec 2012

I use an Everlast Plastic base with a ball and a washer on top. No slop. Plus I put the cut down eye bolt in the eye with a leather strap. It works better for me anyway, than the eye and hook. It's very quite, no hang ups with the hook riding up onto the eye and the strap keeps the bag from coming off.

fedora

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                              Working...