Found my leak... It's in the fill nipple--fixable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bob
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Sep 2014

Found my leak... It's in the fill nipple--fixable?

As mentioned in my first post, my bag is losing air. It is an Everlast 4214, red, "mid" size, made in USA. It is leaking at the fill nipple hole. The bag is around 10 years old.

Does anyone know of a "trick" to get the hole to seal up again? What is inside that keeps the air in--some kind of flap or something?

I'd like to fix it if I can because the bag is in good shape and "broken in" for me. AND I can't really afford a new one right now...

Thanks for your help!
  • rehamco1
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Aug 2013

I would like to know too. I have an everlast mid size bag that I really like and would like to keep, well forever. looking forward to tips that would let me. thanks.

Comment

• Dutchman
      Speed Bag Historian
      • Jun 2006

Okay, that's called a pinch valve. Essentially it's just a hole in the rubber that when you insert the inflation needle it expands enough to let the needle into the bladder enough to put air in it. When you remove the needle, the rubber snaps back and seals the hole. Over time the rubber can become less pliable and doesn't seal the whole all the way. Is there a permanent fix? In a nutshell, no. Some people have pumped the bag up and glued the valve shut. This will suffice for a while, but bladders, particularly latex ones will bleed down because the material is somewhat porous naturally. So eventually you will need to install a new bladder.

Comment

• Biff
        Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post
        Okay, that's called a pinch valve. Essentially it's just a hole in the rubber that when you insert the inflation needle it expands enough to let the needle into the bladder enough to put air in it. When you remove the needle, the rubber snaps back and seals the hole. Over time the rubber can become less pliable and doesn't seal the whole all the way. Is there a permanent fix? In a nutshell, no. Some people have pumped the bag up and glued the valve shut. This will suffice for a while, but bladders, particularly latex ones will bleed down because the material is somewhat porous naturally. So eventually you will need to install a new bladder.
        Dutchman nailed it. No need for further discussion [/Thread]

Comment

• Marta
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Aug 2014

Interesting discussion here. I just started speedbagging in August, and bought a Leone bag, which I love. It is already showing a slight leak. When it gets too soft, I inflate it again, but I'm afraid it will leak more and more. Seems awfully early to need a new bladder.....

Comment

• Dutchman
            Speed Bag Historian
            • Jun 2006

That's been a problem for a long time. The early rubber bladders were gum rubber, and while very responsive they had a short life span. With the advent of vulcanized rubber a very durable bladder became possible. They were still using the inflation tube with the rubber cork in the end at this time, which was replaced with the pinch valve. By today's standards these bladders weren't very responsive, but then again the size of the typical striking bag during the first half of the twentieth century was two to three times the size of what is used now. Those bladders were rugged and held air for prolonged period of time.

Improvements in the latex rubber formula, (mostly due to demands in the medical field) resulted in the modern latex bladder. While it can dramatically change the characteristics of a bag that came with a vulcanized rubber bladder, there are trade offs. They are not as durable, which can result in what seems to be an early failure. This is sometimes aggravated if the bag isn't lined inside, thus creating pin holes where the bladder rubs against a seam. As far as valve leaks, from personal experience it's a crap shoot. I've seen valves that have lasted for twenty or more years, others that fail within a month or two.

I've found of late that most of the chain sporting goods stores no longer stock replacement bladders. If you live near an independent retailer that supports the local boxing, martial arts or mma scene they will more than likely have them in stock. Otherwise , there are online suppliers that offer bladders of all sizes. They are relatively inexpensive (much more so than a new bag) and it's worth while to keep a few on hand. However, bear in mind that they do have a shelf life, so I don't recommend buy a case of them and putting them in the closet. You'll ultimately wind up with a case of rubber goo.

Comment

• bob
              Speed Bag Trainee
              • Sep 2014

I ended up filling the bag with air, making a cylindrical "pill" or plug out of 3/32" Al welding rod, pushed the plug into the fill hole, filed the end of the plug flush with the nipple, and checked for leaks and it was not... Then I put a dollop of silicone RTV (grey) around the end of the nipple, encapsulating the plug. I'll give it a day to cure before I beat on the bag again. I forgot to take a pic while I was at the shop but I'll get one the next time I'm there.

Should my "repair" not hold, should I get a plastic or rubber bladder and why, and from whom or what brand? Thanks!

Comment

• Speedbag
                Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Originally posted by bob View Post
                I ended up filling the bag with air, making a cylindrical "pill" or plug out of 3/32" Al welding rod, pushed the plug into the fill hole, filed the end of the plug flush with the nipple, and checked for leaks and it was not... Then I put a dollop of silicone RTV (grey) around the end of the nipple, encapsulating the plug. I'll give it a day to cure before I beat on the bag again. I forgot to take a pic while I was at the shop but I'll get one the next time I'm there.

Should my "repair" not hold, should I get a plastic or rubber bladderand why, and from whom or what brand? Thanks!
                Try Titleboxing for a rubber bladder

Here is how to do it on Ringside boxing
                Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
                *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
                The Quest Continues...
                Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...