• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knoba
    Speed Bag Trainee
    • Sep 2014

New player, new setup

Hello all!

Always wanted to have a go at it. Never done any training like this before. Made a rig to have a go...

Boy... arm timing is hard, I'm a righty & my left arm just seems to shoot out with no control or timing at all.

As a total newbie, with a severely weak left, should I try to start a routine with my left arm first, or just practice with left only?

Any suggestions welcome!

knoba
    knoba - blog
  • swfl
    Speed Bag Guru
    • Apr 2013

Hello Knoba and welcome to the forum. Your left arm will come around with time. It will be easier to learn new things with your right and then your brain will help your left figure it out. Your setup looks nice. Enjoy!

Comment

• knoba
      Speed Bag Trainee
      • Sep 2014

Thanks for the welcome swfl!

Of course, I'll keep trying, but it doesn't feel like "my arm" at all. Would strength training, like free weights, help with this sort of thing?
      knoba - blog

Comment

• Dutchman
        Speed Bag Historian
        • Jun 2006

One of the things you have to keep in mind that with the speed bag hitting it hard is not the objective. We like to refer to it as a "control" bag. Start slow, letting the bag rebound three times then hit it again. The triplet rhythm is a great aid here. Use the right hand eight times, then the left eight times. Patience is the order of the day, but you will be rewarded in the end.

Comment

• knoba
          Speed Bag Trainee
          • Sep 2014

Doh... I've been trying to hit the bag with only 2 bounces off the drum, thinking the third bounce (triplet) would be off my fist. I must have misunderstood what I'd read from other posts.

3 bounces off the drum, then hit it! Got it. ...now it makes sense.

I'd done some research, a bit, for novices like me; bigger bag, a little deflated, gentle strikes, concentrate on timing & rhythm, etc.

As for the weak left; Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll try the different variations, adapt a little, & see where all that goes.

Thanks for the advice, guys! Think I've got enough to "git 'er done".
          knoba - blog

Comment

• Biff
            Speed Bag Wizard

• Feb 2008

Hey knoba, welcome to the forum. Nice work on the platform! I looked at some of your other projects - very nice.

Comment

• Speedbag
              Author of the Speed Bag Bible, founder of speedbagcentral.com

• Feb 2006

Hello Knoba and welcome to the forum. I am always interested to see outside setups and how they hold up in the weather.
              Speed Bag

Put a little Rhythm in YOUR workout!
              *attendee: Every SB gathering so far!
              The Quest Continues...
              Hoping for another Gathering...

sigpic

The Art of the Bag

Comment

• rehamco1
                Speed Bag Guru
                • Aug 2013

Welcome to the Forum like your set up

Comment

Speedbagforum.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
                Working...